PDA

View Full Version : For a felted bag

Lisa R.
02-18-2008, 06:21 PM
What would be the difference in using 2 strands of yarn held together, or a single strand of a thicker yarn? Assuming that the 2 strands are roughly equal in thickness, is there a structural difference (2 strands more sturdy, maybe?)?

mwhite
02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I've done both and honestly, I don't think there's a structural difference at all. Using 2 strands makes whatever you're knitting thicker and overall, using 1 strand of a bulky or super bulky will do the same thing. The fibers actually become glued together, forming the felted fabric. I do know, from experience, that you'll play HECK, trying to pull the fibers apart, much less trying to separate the knitted and felted/fulled fibers. I knitted a flat strap, once and it got folded over in the machine and I could not pull the fold away. Mary

Lisa R.
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I couldn't see why there would be a difference, but wondered why some patterns called for double-stranding. Maybe the pattern writers had lots of the worsted to get rid of! :-D

mwhite
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
good way to sell yarn, maybe!

kellyh57
02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
I think the worsted or thinner yarn is easier to come by. I like the Pursenalities books and she always calls for double-stranding. She likes Cascade 220 and I don't think they make a bulky weight (or whatever the double strand would equal).

Kelly

mwhite
02-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Another thing, too. On some patterns, doublestranding is used when there will be color changes or fiber changes such as when using fun fir.