PDA

View Full Version : KP Options--Sticky Coating?

AnnArrogance
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

I just got a new set of the (metal) KP Options sock needles. I've been using the Harmonies and love them, but wanted a spare set, so I got these. I also have a couple of larger size DPNs and tips for the interchangeables in metal, and have never come across this problem before.

My nice, supposed-to-be-slick metal needles are covered in a sticky coating! I tried washing them with soap and water, which helped a bit, but I can still feel it (and see it, as the paper towels I used to dry them are sticking to the goo).

Anyone else had this problem? Am I just a freak of nature? Any tips for getting this stuff off? I don't want to send them back to KP if I don't have to, so I'd like to try to fix it myself.

Abbily
02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I've never had that problem, but I only have 1 of their metal circs. You might try some "goo-gone", it's really good for getting tape residue, things like that off. I don't know if it would affect the surface of the needle, though.

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
That's a new one on me. Mine came nice and slick, no coating at all.

You should probably call KP about it. It could be something that was part of the production process that is supposed to be remove during finishing and was missed.

Debkcs
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I agree with Abbily and Mason. The circular needles I ordered from them didn't have any kind of gooey coating. A quick call to them should answer your questions.

ArtLady1981
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
First, call KnitPicks asap. Get their advice and opinion. Get replacements (if necessary) going.

Second, try some fingernail polish remover on them. Fingernail polish remover takes the gooey residue left by price stickers, such as is left on the glass of picture frames. It can't hurt glass, and I don't think it will hurt metal/nickel either.

I use fingernail polish remover for lots of things besides fingernail polish removal.

Jens
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Mine had the same goo on them. I just cleaned them up a bit and used them. Let me know what you find out.

Limey
02-21-2008, 03:55 PM
That's a new one on me. Mine came nice and slick, no coating at all.

You should probably call KP about it. It could be something that was part of the production process that is supposed to be remove during finishing and was missed.

I agree. Don't mess about trying to remove whatever it is off the metal. You can't be sure if it's just adhesive from labels and anyway, they shouldn't be sending stuff out in that condition in the first place.

Ellie

AnnArrogance
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's so weird because, like the rest of you, I had never had this experience with their metal needles. I'm going to call KP and let them know, at least so they're aware of it. I don't want to send them back if I don't have to.

I've been using one of the sizes, and after washing it and repeatedly buffing it on my sweatshirt, it's much better. Using it for awhile has helped a lot, too. I think I might try soaking them in warm water and dish soap for awhile and scrubbing them with a soft scrub brush. If that doesn't work, I'll see if KnitPicks has any suggestions for getting it off like Goo Gone or alcohol or nail polish remover that won't hurt the nickel.

I certainly hope it's nothing dangerous from manufacturing! I have a bad habit of putting needles in my mouth if I'm not paying attention (although I haven't with these yet... I think...) :thud:

nannaknits
02-22-2008, 08:19 AM
If soaking them in dish soap and water doesn't work, try liquid fabric softner and water. This combination will take wall paper off the wall, and remove most labels and sticky stuff very easily.