PDA

View Full Version : What is the reason behind everyone's username?

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi! I was just curious about why everyone's user name is called what it was called. I called myself knittingymnast because I'm a gymnast and I knit. Ha. :roflhard: Just wondering because I see usernames all the time that don't make ANY sense to me. LOL

CarolinaGirl
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, CarolinaGirl is probably a give away! I am from South Carolina! I love the Carolina's -the beaches, mountains and lakes!

:sun:

Abbily
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
My daughter's names are Abigail and Emily... so I just combined them. :)

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, when I joined I had one grandson named Thomas (the redhead in the avatar.) His other grandma is called Nana, which was my choice too, so to keep from confusion, I had to do something different. My given name is Modonna (pronounced the same as Madonna,) I go by Donna (you can see why!) so I combined Nana and Donna and the grandsons call me Nonny. So, at the time I was Nonny to T (Thomas) I guess I should be nonny2tnj now, which would be Nonny to T (Thomas) and J (Jackson) !;)

Oh and btw, cool question. I always wonder how people pick their usernames

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm a guy and ummmmm I knit.

Eccie
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Eccie is short for Eccentric Scorpion which is my name alot of other places

Simply_Renee
02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Mine's easy- because I am just me.

Great question!

scout52
02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
scout is the main character in to kill a mockingbird. one of my favorite books. scout is one of my favorite characters out of all the books i have read. 52 is just a random number to assure that no one else had the same screen name. I use this in other boards as well.

iza
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of the book "To kill a mockingbird" too, scout. Excellent choice! :thumbsup:

My user name is boring. :teehee: Iza is just a nickname. My first name is Isabelle.

KniftyKnitterGal
02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
The reason my username is KniftyKnitterGal, is because when I first started knitting I used knifty knitters, I still use them, but I also know how to knit and crochet. And of course the "gal" part is there because I am a girl.

~Jak :waving:

Miss Moosey
02-21-2008, 03:20 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I love moose.

saracidaltendencies
02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Mine came about when I had my Halloween website, www.everydayshalloween.com. I wanted a Halloween-ish name, but, nothing overly used so I asked hubby to help me think up a name. He suggested the name Demonica (there's a band he used to listen to, The Dwarves, who had a song titled "Demonica") and I loved the name; I thought it was perfect for a "webmistress" of a Halloween site! I used Demonica as my SN on all the Halloween related forums and such I joined to help get my name and site out there...Well, the name just stuck...I had other SN's on other forums, but, I kept forgetting them so I decided I'd just stick with Demonica for everything.

DianaM
02-21-2008, 03:25 PM
DianaM = My name and maiden name. I will have to change it to DianaQ one of these days hehe.

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I love moose.

Isn't that illegal? :shock:

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Jan in CA pretty much says it all. My name is Jan and I live in California. :teehee:

I used to use Purrcat everywhere and it is still part of my email address. The reason behind that is fairly simple. I went to TX 10 yrs ago to help out my SIL during the birth of their second son. I couldn't use my original email that was tied to my ISP account so I wanted to create a Yahoo one. I love cats so that was my starting point.. I tried every name in the book I think. I started just putting words in and Purrcat only had one other user so I was able to throw some numbers in and voila. Since it was kind of cute it stuck.

Good topic. I always wonder how some of these come about. Some are obvious (like yours), but some not so much. ;) :teehee:

wingem
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Mine is simple my last name Winge and my first initial M for Maureen.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I should just change my name to Hildie since that's what everyone--including my mom!-- calls me.

Hildegard von Bingen was my inspiration: von knittin was my attempt at wit and humor :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
My name is Natalia, so i'm KnittingNat :)

dustinac
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I have used dustinac for a long time...before I was married...it's my first name Dustina...and then c is for my last name...:teehee:

Rabbitrescuer
02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Well Christina is always taken so since I can't seem to say no to a rabbit in need of a home........

Abbily
02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
scout is the main character in to kill a mockingbird. one of my favorite books. scout is one of my favorite characters out of all the books i have read. 52 is just a random number to assure that no one else had the same screen name. I use this in other boards as well.

I always think of TKAM whenever I see your screenname... how nice to know that's what you were thinking of too. :)

Sunshine's Mom
02-21-2008, 04:13 PM
This is a really great question, gym. Nice way to bring everyone together.

My husband and I don't have human babies (by choice) but our dog-baby's name is Sunshine (she's the yellow lab in the avatar with me, she'll be 5 on March 7th) and I'm her mom. Not her "real" mom, of course. I can't bear puppies on my own! :teehee:

My name is Amy and you are all welcome to call me that if you wish.

ArtLady1981
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm an Art Consultant, and I'm a Lady!

And, my customer's kids holler out "Hey Mom! It's the Artlady!" when I call!

So I just stick with the name!
http://bestsmileys.com/expressions/9.gif

rachejm
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Mine is just my name. Only my boyfriend and his parents call me Rachel, everyone else calls me Rache (or Rach, depending on how you spell it) and the rest is just my initials. Kinda boring but hey, its easy to remember!

Sharly
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Good topic! I got the nickname Sharly several years ago when my niece Suzzanne would spend time with us. Hubby started calling her SuzyQ and I became SharlyQ - my real name is Charlene. I like "Sharly" better!

Fun thread! I hope everyone joins in!!

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the awesome stories!

Scout, I LOVE TKAM, too! I have read it at least 6 times. Although, the language still makes me wince.....

Stonington
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Stonington Ct is where I grew up - I am now in Maine but Stonington still has a special place in my heart.. so I am stonington on various sites. :) this is a great idea!

Louine
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM
My name is unusual....people always think it should be Louise, Louraine, or something else when they see it written so I just decided to use my name......however, now that internet searches are easy I find that there are more people out there with the name "Louine" than I thought.

brendajos
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Here is another thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42576&highlight=screen+name)that has a big ol' list of screen name explanations too. Including mine if you can't figure it out....lol
:muah:

yarnrainbow
02-21-2008, 05:36 PM
When I joined KH, I was looking through my stash. As I was trying to think up a name, I glanced at my stash and thought to myself "I have yarn in a rainbow of colors"...yarnrainbow.

DQ
02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
DQ stands for DramaQueen, which is what my mum says I am! Plus I studied drama and I love the band Queen :mrgreen:

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
If the real thing dont do the trick
You better make up something quick
You gonna burn burn burn burn it to the wick
Ooooooh, barracuda?

rosefields
02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
"rosefields" taken from my daughter's middle name "rose" and our last name "fields"....BORING!! but hey, it works!

Lisa:)

rosefields
02-21-2008, 05:51 PM
If the real thing dont do the trick
You better make up something quick
You gonna burn burn burn burn it to the wick
Ooooooh, barracuda?
Heart?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
DQ stands for DramaQueen, which is what my mum says I am! Plus I studied drama and I love the band Queen :mrgreen:

Darn!!!! You always made me think of ice cream! :doh:

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Yup, Heart.

mwhite
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
This is fun... M is for Ma or Mary... have many customers that just call me Ma because they hear hubby and son call me that. White is my last name and of course we live at the Whitehouse, literally...siding is white, last name is white, have 7 stray, white cats, one indoor, deaf white cat. Most places I'm known as MMQC or obviously marymaryquitecontrary, which I've heard my whole life. To keep track, I use mwhite on nongardening and craft/needlework sites and mmqc on gardensites.

Ingrid
02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
:shrug: It's the name my parents gave me.

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
:shrug: It's the name my parents gave me.

Very succintly said...:rofl:
I think I would rather have Ingrid than Modonna. You don't know what it is like to go into any place retail and let them see my driver's license or my military Id. I always get the eye lift and the, "Is that your..." "Yes, that is my REAL name."

Of course, no one ever forgets you. I have been out of high school over 35 years and at my reunions they may forget the Mary's, the Tony's and the Marsha's, but they never forget me! ;)

laptop_knitter
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Mine's because I have red hair, and I use a laptop. Some of you gys are pretty inventive!

newamy
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
When I first started visiting knitting help I was new. And the sites creator is named Amy. So I wanted to make a distinction that I was a "new" Amy. I use it in other knitting places too, like Ravelry.

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Mine's because I have red hair, and I use a laptop. Some of you gys are pretty inventive!

I understand the laptop part, but what does red hair have to do with it? :think:

Ingrid
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Very succintly said...:rofl:
I think I would rather have Ingrid than Modonna. You don't know what it is like to go into any place retail and let them see my driver's license or my military Id. I always get the eye lift and the, "Is that your..." "Yes, that is my REAL name."

Of course, no one ever forgets you. I have been out of high school over 35 years and at my reunions they may forget the Mary's, the Tony's and the Marsha's, but they never forget me! ;)

I've met a couple of Ingrids, but you win. :teehee:

Darcia
02-21-2008, 07:35 PM
By error I typed in my real name! But it's ok because I like my name, although I was going to use 'chronic quail' as this was the name I wanted for my dh's band. He though it was silly, but now he said it's growing on him. I am chronically a quail.

Can I change my name???

auburnchick
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a huge Auburn Tigers fan. I used to be ForAuburn everywhere, but when I changed internet providers, I messed up my name and had to create a new one. So, I came up with AuburnChick.

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
By error I typed in my real name! But it's ok because I like my name, although I was going to use 'chronic quail' as this was the name I wanted for my dh's band. He though it was silly, but now he said it's growing on him. I am chronically a quail.

Can I change my name???

Sheldon can change it if you really want. However, everyone is used to your name now and if you change it the longer names end up getting shortened to something like calling you Chronic or Quail. :teehee:

The.Knitter
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I have been the knitter for ten years now, for obvious reasons! Chat rooms, support groups, they all know me as The Knitter. I am the knitter everywhere, even my e-mail addy! I am considering having it on my car license plate too! No big mystery to my name...

BinkyKat
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Binky is our cat...hence, BinkyKat. I use that a lot when making cards and other crafts and also with my last name..Hay.
I use it like this: Hay!Binky Card Co., Hay!BinkyKnits, Hay!BinkyBeads when I make tags or on the back of stuff.:teehee:

Now that we have another cat, Emmit, he gets left out...for a while we called him poopfoot...hmmm, that's an option :shrug:
:roflhard:

get_her_donne
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Yall have such lovely names :mrgreen:

Wellll when I was confronted with that daunting 'type in a username' screen my creativity was gone dead. And all I could think about was that annoyingly catchy phrase "get 'er done!" And I could think of nothing else...really.
So I just turned that phrase into something...witty. I love John Donne's poetry, and of course if any guy wants to impress his girl who happens to like Donne's poetry, he should get her some of Donne's poetry. Hence, get her donne...:rofl: hah....haha...

campbellmom549
02-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Mine came from my last name (campbell), I'm a mom, and if you spell Liz on a telephone, it corresponds to numbers 549.

Newfygirl
02-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Well - I couldn't think of anything right off the top of my head for my user name so - my dog is a Newfoundland (they call them Newfy's) and I'm a girl - thus, Newfygirl!!!

Mulderknitter
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Mulder (my cat, not the guy on xfiles) is my one true love. He is 12 now and has been with me thru everything important to my adult life. He has never called me fat, never broken up with me (though he does get pooey if I go on vacation and put him in a kennel), has never told me I have crappy housekeeping skills, doesn't care if I drink or smoke too much, lets me knit and watch tv, and only asks for food, his insulin, and a cozy place to nap all day. Every username I use is Mulder something.
Funny thing though. my first ever post, everyone replied that they first glanced and thought my name was Murder knitter. It would fit though, I tend to murder a lot of things I knit!:roflhard:

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Murder knitter! LOL! :roflhard: I LOVE that! Well, it seems like everyone has an explanation I NEVER would have thought of in a million years. I never guess on the origin of names, though.

lelvsdgs
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Such creativity!!! Mine is boring, just the first part of my email address. I usually use heartsapocolypse on everything else but for some reason I don't remember, used the email thing here. Oh lelvsdgs=Lee (my name) loves dogs (with fewer consonants!)
Great stories!

knittingymnast
02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I was WONGERING Lelvsdgs! Those seemed random to me!

Darcia
02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Sheldon can change it if you really want. However, everyone is used to your name now and if you change it the longer names end up getting shortened to something like calling you Chronic or Quail. :teehee:

I would like to change it and then put that I am Darcia in my signature until people get used to it. I would love that. I will take your advise and go with 'Quail'.

Chikky
02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
It's a nickname, given by a very special friend of mine.

spectorkitty
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Mine is one of my kitties who died a while ago. We call all of our cats kitty, like Spector kitty, Demon kitty, Ghost kitty, Wraith kitty.

Yeah I know, we had a theme going on there. :rofl:

cdjack
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I now really wish a spark of creativity had hit me when I had signed up for this site, but no such luck. C is for my first initial, D is the first letter of my middle name, and Jack is the first part of my last name. See, REALLY boring.

jjminarcik
02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Mine is boring - everyone calls me JJ and my last name is Minarcik; hence jjminarcik.

md21
02-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I used to use Maui Diver21 because I'm a scuba diver and my first dive trip was to Maui. 21 is from my birthday (9-21). Anyway, I would always get people asking (on other forums) how I liked living in Maui, so I shortened it to MD21. Now, I wonder if people think that I'm a doctor! I just can't get away from ambiguous user names!:eyes:

It's funny reading all of the explanations and realizing my assumptions were soooooooo off. I figured Scout52 would be some sort of affiliation with a Girl/Boy Scout troop 52 or something like that. (By the way, TKAM is one of my all time favorite books. Great name!)

feministmama
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
What is TKAM?

And my name? I'm a feminist and a mama. I use it everywhere.

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
What is TKAM?

The book - To Kill a Mockingbird

feministmama
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
The book - To Kill a Mockingbird

DOH! THanks.
I wanna know about sugarfunpounch and that slightly erotic avatar.

NegativeClock
02-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm a member of the Clock Crew, which is sort of like an internet cult for artists, and my nickname on there is Negative Clock. I love the name tremendously, and I use it every where I go!

sakura-panda
02-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Short answer: I was signing up for an anime message board and I wanted a name that not only suited me, but was also too ridiculous to already be taken. :oops:

Panda bears are my "thing" and I like the word/name "sakura". I figured no one else would be silly enough to pair them together. :rofl:

Cherry Blossom Panda => sakura-panda :happydance:

Doodknitwit
02-22-2008, 02:30 AM
given by DH and knitwit is obvious :X: :waving: :blooby: :roflhard: :eyes: :poke:

redmom37
02-22-2008, 02:37 AM
I have red hair , mom to 2 boys & was 37 when I picked the name a LOOOONNNNNNG long time ago! LOL:aww: .

Jan in CA
02-22-2008, 02:41 AM
DOH! THanks.
I wanna know about sugarfunpounch and that slightly erotic avatar.

She's only about 12 or 13 so I think it's just a kitty. If I remember correctly it had something to do with some kids internet thing. :think:

princess
02-22-2008, 02:51 AM
hehe, im spoiled. My family and bf treat me like a "princess" :)

evona
02-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, my name is Yvonne, but so many people spell my name evon, ivan, evonn, ivon or call me evona I decided to use it as a nickname on the internet. usually I use the nic evonafide, and that is my username on ravelry.

nonny2t
02-22-2008, 05:16 AM
This has really been fun seeing all the explanations about things that weren't really in your face kind of clear. I don't think any of the names are boring really. I love all the pet names. That's another topic that is fun to discuss, why you named your kids, such and such or your pets such and such. I saw on AOL yesterday a thing in the entertainment section about celebrities' names for their kids. Some of those poor babies are destined for a time of it growing up because of stupid parents. For example, Penn Jillette named his child, Moxie CrimeFighter ! Anyway, this has been a really fun topic.

NC Girl
02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
My creativity took a leave of absence the day I signed up on KH, hence NC Girl. I live in North Carolina. :mrgreen:

I started to use part of one of my email addresses - katiis - cat eyes, but didn't.

Charlotte

DQ
02-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Darn!!!! You always made me think of ice cream! :doh:

Oopsy :teehee: :mrgreen:

Ronda
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
No creativity here. Ronda is my real name. Maybe this will be interesting though: My parents had me and 2 boys yet they named ME after my father (Ronald) and a few of my friends and my DH do call me Ron...as if Ronda is way too much to say. :)

gingerbread
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I really don't know why I used gingerbread I don't even like it:roflhard::roflhard: but like a lot of you it popped into my head and hence gingerbread.

knittingymnast
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
...as if Ronda is way too much to say. :)

knittingymnast
02-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Sugarfunpouch's avatar is a kitty rolling on a ball of yarn. It says Lion Brand on the bottom. Personally, I think that Lion Brand is good for beginners, but it's no fun to work with now. Too much acrylic starts to really make my fingers hurt. I like wool much, much more than synthetics. If it's over 50%, I won't use it at all.

bethany
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
it's just my name. But you knew that didn't you? ;)

knitgal
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I chose knitgal because Carrie on Sex and the City's screen name is "shoegal" (I worked in a shoe store and I love shoes) and since this is a knitting site, I changed it to "knitgal". Not very creative, but my usual name is anniebananie or some variation on that as my name is Ann and my dad calls me that, but I was getting sick of how childish is sounds.

PurlyGyrl
02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Well. . . .Purly ('cause I'm weird and love to Purl [and I love pearls too) and Gyrl ('cause I'm a girl).
Ain't I creative!:teehee:

laptop_knitter
02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I understand the laptop part, but what does red hair have to do with it? :think:

Gah, this is what happens when you have multiple names - on other site's I'm redlaptopknitter. Forgot I'm not that here :aww:

feministmama
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
She's only about 12 or 13 so I think it's just a kitty. If I remember correctly it had something to do with some kids internet thing. :think:

DOH! I always forget this is a family show. But every time I see that kitty I :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

knittingymnast
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I understand Laptop_Knitter. I have several accounts on other sites that are a wee bit different, but based around the word "gymnast".

HollyP
02-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Mine is my first name and last initial. I always try for Holly but normally have to put the P behind it and sometimes numbers. My last name is Italian and people for some reason have a hard time pronouncing it. For as long as I can remember I've been HollyP even at Dr's offices.

laptopknittersmum
02-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Any explanation needed? :shrug:

knittingymnast
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
:roflhard: ARE you laptop_knitter's mum? thats awesome!

Luvmyrottnboy
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Because of the gorgeous beast who is my avatar:inlove:

Long coated Rottweiler!

Mulderknitter
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Because of the gorgeous beast who is my avatar:inlove:

Long coated Rottweiler!
He is very gorgeous!:muah:

saracidaltendencies
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
DOH! I always forget this is a family show. But every time I see that kitty I :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one :teehee:

knittingymnast
02-22-2008, 03:58 PM
He is very gorgeous!:muah:

Mulder, I agree!

Sanibelle
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Sanibel Island and Captiva Island off the coast of Florida used to be my favorite place to vacation. I just loved to go there - great beaches, really laid back,a wonderful hotel (South Seas Plantation) and one of the most relaxing places I have ever been to.

So I use either Sanibelle or Captiva as my online names.

losnana
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
My first dgd is named Logan, and she )and now my 3 other dgds) call me Nana.

Indygirl
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I'll bet this will shock all of you knitter's :roflhard:
I was born in Indianapolis,Indiana. That's just how creative I am :teehee:

Plantgoddess+
02-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I had a plant nursery and my husband worships me (haha) and he named me the Plantgoddess and it stuck so I use it on most sites and am still answering gardening questions happily.

BethLaf
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Mine came about when I had my Halloween website, www.everydayshalloween.com. I wanted a Halloween-ish name, but, nothing overly used so I asked hubby to help me think up a name. He suggested the name Demonica (there's a band he used to listen to, The Dwarves, who had a song titled "Demonica") and I loved the name; I thought it was perfect for a "webmistress" of a Halloween site! I used Demonica as my SN on all the Halloween related forums and such I joined to help get my name and site out there...Well, the name just stuck...I had other SN's on other forums, but, I kept forgetting them so I decided I'd just stick with Demonica for everything.

ok miss d , i am letting my geek show, i assumed it was part of a piers anthony phase you went through.....

BethLaf
02-22-2008, 10:02 PM
my name is beth and i used to do stand up comedy, but , the few times ive tried beth laugh , i get tons of enlarge your man parts spam.....
so bethlaf it is :D

princess
02-23-2008, 03:40 AM
my name is beth and i used to do stand up comedy, but , the few times ive tried beth laugh , i get tons of enlarge your man parts spam.....
so bethlaf it is :D

:rofl:

reminds me of a really funny story, my dad was helping my grandma go through and set up her email account automatically and he was trying to sort through some of the old messages. He came into the room we were all sitting in and asks my grandma (mind you she is a very proper woman) he says "now this is very important, you have two choices, do you want to add three inches, or six?" and my family freezes because we cant believe whats happening, so then my grandma replies "well what if i want four" it was so funny!!!!!!!!!! i will never forget that :roflhard:

Debbie
02-23-2008, 05:56 AM
I started out as Debbie Hall ... my real name ... then recomended this site to the students in my Kids Knit afterschool club ... so asked Sheldon to change it to ... Debbie ... so I would not be quite so recognizable ...

Jen17
02-23-2008, 09:47 PM
mines easy...Jen short for Jenifer and 17 is my favorite number and my daughter's (and now granddaughter's) birthdays!

saracidaltendencies
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
ok miss d , i am letting my geek show, i assumed it was part of a piers anthony phase you went through.....

LOL! Nope, just went for a Halloween-ish name. Actually, I hadn't even heard of Piers Anthony until now so I googled him and see, of course, he has a character of the same name.

nonni
02-24-2008, 12:30 AM
As this is only my third post, no one knows me from Adam. But I'm still navigating my way around this website and came upon this thread and thought I'd add to it as well. My cousin for some reason called our grandmother "Nonny" and it stuck. Then my mother continued the tradition and her grandchildren called her "Nonny". I am 2 weeks away (give or take) from being a first time grandmother and will use the same name, but have changed the "y" to "i". I figure each generation of daughters can change the ending to distinguish one "Nonny" from the other as we look at family photos and writings. Of course that's MY plan...my daughters may have something else in mind completely when they become grandmamas w-a-y down the road. :) Nonni

lmsloman
02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Mine's boring.....just my first initial, middle initial, and my last name. My AIM name is SuperMomSloman though. Lmsloman is easier for me to keep track of and remember from site to site! I'm 26, but I have the memory of an 87 year old!

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 02:06 PM
LOL Lmsloman!

bookkid
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
mine came from when I first got an email account. my dad was setting it up for me and I needed a user name and since I :heart: LOVE :heart: to read, and I was about 10 at the time, He amde up bookkid. I'm older now but I still like how it sounds and it really describes me. great idea for a thread, by the way.

sinistral_needler
02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, sinistral generally means "of the left" or "left" (I am left handed) and I both knit and crochet, so that's where I got it from. Yeah I know crochet uses hooks, but it fits.

tokmom
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
TOK is tons of kids. I have 7. I don't think it's a ton, but other's do.:wink:
So I'm Tokmom.

Pagan Princess
02-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Pagan Princess. I've been a practising Pagan for about 5 years. Plus I believe in positive affirmations. So I'm a princess too :)

Sajomaro
02-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Love this thread!

Mine is fairly simple. I've always used the abbreviated form of my zodiac sign or a variant of my real name as my username. I always had trouble remembering what version I used on which website so I decided to make them all the same. Keeping with the theme of my zodiac sign and my real name I went with the first two letters of my zodiac sign, first name, middle name and last name. In that order.

Shandeh
02-25-2008, 02:50 AM
My name "Shandeh" is how Sean Connery would pronounce my name (Sandy) if we ever met. I've had a crush on him since I was in high school, over 25 years ago.

saracidaltendencies
02-25-2008, 03:44 AM
My name "Shandeh" is how Sean Connery would pronounce my name (Sandy) if we ever met. I've had a crush on him since I was in high school, over 25 years ago.

:roflhard: OMG, it makes total sense now! I can soo hear it! :rofl:

iwouldratherbeknitting
02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
My is because: I'd rather be home knitting, watching old movies or old tv shows on my dvd player (since, I live in a foreign country right now- we don't get re-runs on tv)..

than working. I'm a teacher and although I love doing it- some days.. I really would rather be knitting instead of being at school.

knitncook
02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I love moose.

And for you the chorus to the Moose Song (which is sung very liberally where I live thanks to McGuire's Irish Pub and the Moose that is kissed all too often!)

And it's moose, moose, I like a moose
I've never had anything quite like a moose
I've had plenty women my life has been loose
But I've never had anything quite like a moose!

And my name for the record is fairly self explanitory. I used to be a PC consultant, but am not any longer. Cooking is still one of my passions. The other, of course, being knitting.

cindycactus
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I have a Greek last name that sounds like cindycactus. :knitting:

KnitTwit
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Um, well........I knit. And sometimes I'm a twit. :out:

msmelody
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
mine is boring, but I have had it since I was about 7 or 8. Melody is my maiden last name and I was a ms. Not very interesting, but now, I have a little girl named Melody, so I am wondering if I am going to have to give her my name and find a new one (when she gets older of course, she is only 3 now).:rofl:

feministmama
02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
As this is only my third post, no one knows me from Adam. But I'm still navigating my way around this website and came upon this thread and thought I'd add to it as well. My cousin for some reason called our grandmother "Nonny" and it stuck. Then my mother continued the tradition and her grandchildren called her "Nonny". I am 2 weeks away (give or take) from being a first time grandmother and will use the same name, but have changed the "y" to "i". I figure each generation of daughters can change the ending to distinguish one "Nonny" from the other as we look at family photos and writings. Of course that's MY plan...my daughters may have something else in mind completely when they become grandmamas w-a-y down the road. :) Nonni

This is sooooooooo sweet. :heart:

nonni
02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I completely understand. As it turns out Sean and I share the same last name. I've always thought between the accent and the classic good looks, well, it just doesn't get much better than that. I have even considered a vanity license plate using 007 in it. My daughters thought that was totally dorky. Far be it from me to humiliate my DD :)

Nonni

knitasha
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Not if the moose has reached the age of consent.

mwhite
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Not if the moose has reached the age of consent.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

flea
02-26-2008, 03:25 AM
My real name is Felicia. Flea has been my nickname since I was about 12 years old. My best friend at the time decided to call me that and I told her it would be fine. My mom, however, hated it so it had to be a big ole secret. Nowadays everybody, including family calls me Flea.
I remain Felicia only at work and within the intimacy of marriage. Because being called Flea is not sexy during Sexy Time.

Debkcs
02-26-2008, 04:05 AM
This thread is fun! When I first signed on here, it was 0200 and I was furious at my knitting, or at me, same thing. Signed on as MadDeb so I could post a question. Afer awhile, did not want to stay MadDeb, 'cause I'm not mad. Deb I still am.

Debkcs? My name and some initials given to me by my husband when I co-owned a bakery. Nothing Jane Fonda would say in public, or me either. The man knows a lot of German and Russian, I'll leave it there.

Shandeh
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM

:roflhard: OMG, it makes total sense now! I can soo hear it! :rofl:
:thumbsup:
I completely understand. As it turns out Sean and I share the same last name. I've always thought between the accent and the classic good looks, well, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Yes! I just LOVE Scottish accents! I adore watching Craig Ferguson for the same reason! :inlove:

divagirl
02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
This is such a fun thread!

Shandeh, I just saw Darby O'gill and the Little People the other night. It was Sean Connery's first movie role, and he was lookin' mighty fine!

I was the 'nail diva' at the salon I used to work at. It kind of stuck at home b/c my hubby teases me about being like Meg ryan in 'When Harry Met Sally'....high maintenence, but I think I'm low maintenence!:p

knittintexas
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm knitting.....in texas.

:teehee:

Shandeh
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Shandeh, I just saw Darby O'gill and the Little People the other night. It was Sean Connery's first movie role, and he was lookin' mighty fine!
I tell ya...cloud9

I miss his younger days. But, he still looks sophisticated and classy, even in his old age.

He has such a dreamy voice, and such DARK, STORMY eyes. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
:inlove:

Shandeh
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Have you seen this Citroen commercial, where he gets younger as he drives? :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV6phgQQds

losnana
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
What a hoot!! I love Sean Connery; anybody seen Medicine Man? It's one of my favorites.

Have you seen this Citroen commercial, where he gets younger as he drives? :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV6phgQQds

divagirl
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Medicine Man?!? Let me wipe the drool from my chin!! I'd give him a meal and a bath anytime he wants.

annomalley
02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
My username is a play on the word anomaly, which I am, because I'm kind hard to peg. :)

Shandeh
02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
What a hoot!! I love Sean Connery; anybody seen Medicine Man? It's one of my favorites.
Of COURSE I've seen it! :inlove:
Medicine Man?!? Let me wipe the drool from my chin!! I'd give him a meal and a bath anytime he wants.

mks22300
02-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Mine's not all that exciting-just my initials and some random numbers I came up with quite some time ago.

Brvfan
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Mine, Brvfan, is because I am an Atlanta Braves big time FAN! Have had this name since 1996 when I first signed on to the internet. I am Brvfan everywhere. You will now recognize me if you see me somewhere else.

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm an amatuer photographer.

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm knitting.....in texas.

:teehee:

heh heh!;)

snowbear
02-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I love polar bears. I have lots of them in many different mediums. Glass, stuffed, posters, sand cast, etc. I also love the snow.. thus...... snowbear! Not that amazing.

Now Sean Connery, he is amazing! lol

bjc1050
03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
No special inspiration. Just my initials plus the last 4 digits of my phone number. Easy to remember.

SteveDallas
03-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Steve Dallas was a character in the comic strip Bloom County (RIP), and still makes an occasional appearance in Opus.

mullerslanefarm
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
just the name of our homestead.

brightspot
03-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Brightspot is a character in a star trek book that I was reading when I needed a username somewhere. Everyone dismissed her as someone who couldn't do any good and was bad luck, but she kept trying until she proved that she was important and just as good as everyone else. Since persistance is a big part of knitting (mine at least, lol) I thought it was a good username for a knitting site. On other sites, like ravelry, I am knittymom, which is pretty much self explanitory. :mrgreen:

Lollilulu
03-09-2008, 12:21 PM
My username is a combination of two of my nicknames, Lolly and Lulu. I have 5 sisters and my dad has nicknames for each of us.

sabrinasmom
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
My only child is the one in my avatar. So I am Sabrina's Mom.

Luvmyrottnboy
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
My only child is the one in my avatar. So I am Sabrina's Mom.

Awwwww, she is ADORABLE!

Tell me, does she like big hairy males????:)

lizardknits
03-10-2008, 10:12 PM
My name is Elizabeth
my sister calls me lizard
I knit

sabrinasmom
03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Awwwww, she is ADORABLE!

Tell me, does she like big hairy males????:)

Unfortunately, no. She's not a dog, cat, squirrel,or bird lover. She doesn't bark at them just leaves them alone.

jdee
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
mine's not very exciting at all, I'm afraid. My first name is Jennifer, and my middle name is Deeann. I use jdeeann as part if my email, but for forums, I like to shorten it to jdee. :)

SusanMarie1956
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi!

Mine is quite easy. SusanMarie is just my name. and 1956 is simply the year I was born.

letah75
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
mine is a misspelling of a comic book character from elfquest.

The real spelling is Leetah, I just left out and "e".

princessbonniejane
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
My name is Bonnie Jane and I like princesses and girlie stuff. I was wondering what your screen names mean and now I know. lol

kateycp2k
06-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Kate = my name
YCP = short form of where I did my undergraduate work, York College of Pennsylvania
2k = shorthand for the year I graduated, 2000 - like Y2K! :)

Gertie
06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Gertie is a sweet, happy, very pampered dog I know. I wish I'd have known the woman she was named after. One of those women who could do anything so easily.

Easy to type & remember.

Duessa
06-16-2008, 01:29 AM
My user name comes from the Epic poem "The Faerie Queene" (its really spelled that way, old english is silly). Duessa is the ultimate female evil in the poem. I don't know why but I get a kick out of female villians. Oh, I guess it's important to know that I'm an English Education Major with a concentration on Literature (as opposed to speach). I love to readd and really enjoy using obscure literary references. I guess that makes me a bit of a snob :roflhard: I used to use an even more obscure one from an ancient greek play "Madea" but then someone thought I was referencing some TV show I've never heard of. Can anyone explain this to me? I don't watch TV so am clueless. I love Scout's TKAM reference. I love hearing everyone's stories.

susi
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
well im another boring one, its simply my name. i never remeber stuff like tha otherwise
boring i know

gailf
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Mine is just my first name and my last initial.
I've read some beautiful and unusual names this morning!

Cynamar
06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I am CYNthia Ann MARtin--CYNAMAR.

punkhippiemom
06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I remain Felicia only at work and within the intimacy of marriage. Because being called Flea is not sexy during Sexy Time.
*snort* Sexy Time ~~~
Have to say this had me :roflhard: :roflhard:

I went to school with a Felicia, and we called her Flea, too - she wasn't really crazy about it due to the popularity of this Flea (http://images.musicclub.it/foto/re/big/RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPERS.Flea.tif.big.jpg) at the the time...

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi There, I started to knit became I am now a grandma...My first grandchild name is Claire and mt first name is Maria..So that is how it came to be....

MAmaDawn
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Mine is just I'm a Mom and I'm Dawn, the capital MA was just a typo.... :aww:

I'm MamaDawn (or a variation) everywhere else, too.

Tropicflower24
07-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I love flowers..... Tropic was a name I used to go by..... Loved it for some reason, and it stuck. So I just put them togather..... Tropicflower, and I live in or around or I love state #24. LOL
Mainly I'm called Tropicflower, but sometimes Tropic, sometimes Flower...... My "real" screen name (not supposed to post my real name on the web) is Addana....... But yeah. Anywyaz.

MrsVaelek
07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
My DH's used Vaelek as his sn forever, so I just adapted the Mrs naturally :)

Hygiene Mama
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I couldn't think of anything clever, so "Hygiene Mama" it is. "Hygiene" because I'm a Dental Hygienist and "Mama" cuz that's what my kids call me.

rachael72knitter
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
My alter-ego is Storm or some variation of it on everything I belong to computer related. My Mom also said I was conceived during a tsunami- TMI?? I wrote a poem about storms and how they have shaped my life. . .so, just a source for my inspiration. My avatar is a Passion Flower b/c that is what I have tattooed on the small of my back. Not to be confused with a tramp stamp; it takes up all of my lower back, but enough about me. . .

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-28-2008, 12:03 PM
My cousin for some reason called our grandmother "Nonny" and it stuck. Then my mother continued the tradition and her grandchildren called her "Nonny". I am 2 weeks away (give or take) from being a first time grandmother and will use the same name, but have changed the "y" to "i". Nonni

in my dh's family, everyone is Grandma... on my side it's either Grammie (what my mother wanted my kids to call her... not an issue since she's decided to have nothing to do with them the more mentally disturbed she gets) or Nana (what I grew up calling my Polish grandma...) I have stuck with Nana (hey, my first name, Stacia, is after my Nana so why not? LOL!)

so my oldest stepson's daughter has:
Gram B (her maternal grandmother)
Gramma D (her paternal grandmother)
Grandma Mureness (dh's mother)
Poppa (dh's father)
Poppy (Dh)
Nana (me)

My kids just have Grandma and Grandpa (dh's parents).. when dh's grandmother was still alive the kids just called her Grandma too when they were around her, when they werne't she was Grandma Congdon.

when the other boys (including my two biological sons) have kids, I will remain Nana... besides, why deprive a child of the giggle of turning nana into tongue twisters :)

and my handle? on most sites i'm either LadyKrow or LadyKrowyn. My dh's handle is Krow, and in our tribe we refer to each other as Mi Lord or Mi Lady... so i'm Lady Krow.... and for our D&D campaigns my character was Lady Krowyn (yes, i'm a D&D geek LOL!). and the LilHuskiesFootBallMom: The high school mascots are a Huskie (dog) and Dragons.... my 10 year old plays football for the Little Giants league in our town which are called the Little huskies... and I'm his mom... so... Little Huskies Football Mom gets shortened to LilHuskiesFootballMom... now when my youngest goes to play sports, i'll probably change it to LilHuskiesMom

laikabear
07-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Laika is my older dog (named after the Russian canine astronaut) and I've always called her Laikabear (and Laikaroo, Poohbear, etc, ad nauseum). I guess the bear part was bc she's so fuzzy like a teddy bear. That's her eye in the avatar.

Actually just sent off about 1 lb of her fur to be spun into yarn, I'll have to let everyone know how that goes. I think Kemp had some done from her doggy too. :mrgreen:

susi
07-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Actually just sent off about 1 lb of her fur to be spun into yarn, I'll have to let everyone know how that goes. I think Kemp had some done from her doggy too. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Oh wow, i've been thinking about doing that with my horses and mums airedale (i've got a colly, dot think she'd take kindly to being clipped hehe). i'd love to know how it turns out.

Mines susi as its my name lol. everything i wanted was taken so i ended up with my name, how boring am i lol

Sunni
07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Sunni is my real first name! I didn't bother making up a username because I figured my real name is original enough :)

Puddinpop
07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Cute, Plantgoddess+.

Puddinpop
07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Cyndi, your working dogs are adorable!

Puddinpop
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Puddinpop is a name of endearment that I call my GD sometimes, also, a friend calls me Puddinpop. It's easy for me to remember.:woot: