PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you make mistakes?

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I was talking to a friend about having to always fix at least one error when when I knit and it got me to thinking so here you go.

Simply_Renee
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
If anyone says no, I think they are lying bigtime. (edited to add I see that NO mistakes ever is not an option on the poll, LOL)

I am only on my 2nd project ever and this one has purls in it so I am still accidentally yarning over even though I KNOW to switch the yarn between the needles. I also drop stitches but that is improving.

So count a big YES for me!

suzeeq
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Well yeah.... I forget a YO, or to slip on a skp, or misread the directions or something. There's always something....

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I never make mistakes, just some unintended design features. :mrgreen:

rachejm
02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I still make plenty of mistakes but thankfully I now feel confident enough to be able to fix them.

Silver
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Of course. I will fix them only if it's an obvious or visible mistake, otherwise, if I can't see it, then neither will anyone else. ;)

The.Knitter
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Mistakes... hmmmm was that last frog (this morning) a mistake or just practice swatching on 201 stitches.... ok, so I might perhaps make one mistake now and then LOL!!

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I still make plenty of mistakes but thankfully I now feel confident enough to be able to fix them.

I am that way now too. If I drop a stitch let's say, I don't freak out and tear the whole thing back, just get out my trusty little crochet hook and bring them right back up on the needle.

The one thing I have problems with is that I am left handed and knit left handed. In some instances you can really goof yourself up. I am making a pair of baby pants right now where the legs are made separate and then joined in the round on circs for the hips and waist. Welllllll, I knitted and frogged three times because it kept coming up garter stitch instead of stockinette. Guess what, being left handed the only way for it to work was to purl the rounds instead of knit them! Sometimes it takes me awhile......:wink:

Jens
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Well I don't make mistakes.....I just trash the project after I goof it up enough LOL!!!!

Rosemary
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I have heard it said that only God is perfect. Since I do not fall into that category, I make mistakes on purpose so nobody can assume it was made by the diety and not me.

Do we have a "liar, liar, pants on fire" smiley?

Mike
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm still new and practicing, so I go slow and think before acting in an attempt to practice perfect.
I'm sure once I get some speed going and don't have to think about what I'm doing I'll be making a lot of mistakes buried so far that a decision needs to be made about feature vs mistake.

But for now it's rare.

boo1
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I've NEVER not made a mistake that I can recall.

:roflhard:

Plantgoddess+
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I always make mistakes. Most I fix, but like Silver if it isn't visible to me I doubt anyone else would notice.

bethany
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
making one right now in fact...

dustinac
02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
:teehee: I always make mistakes...just goofy mistakes that are me not paying attention...they usually bother me though so I end up frogging back unless I can drop down and fix it, or fudge it so you can't see it as well...

willowangel
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I used to get really wound up about making mistakes - having to undo things made me feel like a bad knitter, but after I read some articles on mindful knitting and some articles by pro knitters who were talking about their latest mistake, I realised that no-one doesn't make mistakes and that it's part of knitting. I factor in time for the screw up, and am only a little frustrated when I have to frog (except from when I nearly finish a project and the whole thing isn't right, then I have to put it away for a little while before I can face it again!).

It's a good metaphor for life - you screw up sometimes along the way, or it doesn't work out how it was supposed to, part of the process is to figure out where you went wrong, fix it, and just get on with it. Life would be better if I could see it like that ;-)

boo1
02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
It's a good metaphor for life - you screw up sometimes along the way, or it doesn't work out how it was supposed to, part of the process is to figure out where you went wrong, fix it, and just get on with it. Life would be better if I could see it like that ;-)

Amen!!!

HollyP
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I make at least one mistake per project. I just finished a baby blanket for my cousin that I had to restart 3-4 times because I kept misreading the directions.:oops: Most of the time my mistakes are simple like forgetting a yarn over or miscounting. 99%of the time they are fixable. I also leave them if the are not obvious!

Abbily
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Absolutely! All the time. If they're relatively easy to fix, or if it really screws up the item, I'll fix it... otherwise, as mason says, it becomes a design element! :) As I'm learning, though, more and more mistakes are 'easy to fix'. :)

ArtLady1981
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
My definition of "a mistake": something you didn't catch before casting off, and/or seaming.

Such as, a cable that is crossed wrong, or too soon, or too late.
Or, a dropped stitch. Or, a split yarn thing.

It isn't a mistake if you correct it! :cheering:

chan58
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
:roflhard: Every project I start I seem to make at least one but as long as it is not too visible I let it go. I just finished a small baby afghan and made one right in the middle, thank goodness I was using baby clouds and it is hardly noticeable. :knitting:

Newbie2Knitting
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
No. I have not ever made a mistake.

Phhht! Ok. That's all the longer I could say that without laughing. I make mistakes all the time! I just fix 'em and move on. :)

Mike
02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
My definition of "a mistake": something you didn't catch before casting off, and/or seaming.

Such as, a cable that is crossed wrong, or too soon, or too late.
Or, a dropped stitch. Or, a split yarn thing.

That's my view. If you catch a wrong purl or knit before it comes off the needle is it still a mistake? What about a row of wrong twisted stitches that you change styles to correct?

This thread cursed me. I just purled a whole row I should've knitted. I was talking instead of paying attention or I would've caught it a few stitches in. I knew what I did as soon as I hit the counter for the next row.

I'm glad it wasn't asked before I finished my double knit hat. I don't know what I would've done if I made a mistake that made it off the needle. It would probably be a messed up hat after completion and I'd try another.

redheadrachel
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I make plenty of mistakes, especially on a new pattern. But I rarely leave them... :frog:

ETA: Ah, now I see that you mean mistakes that we don't fix. So I don't make too many anymore, once I learned how to tink! Still, I may have one or two in each item :( Eh.

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
That's my view. If you catch a wrong purl or knit before it comes off the needle is it still a mistake? What about a row of wrong twisted stitches that you change styles to correct?

This thread cursed me. I just purled a whole row I should've knitted. I was talking instead of paying attention or I would've caught it a few stitches in. I knew what I did as soon as I hit the counter for the next row.

I'm glad it wasn't asked before I finished my double knit hat. I don't know what I would've done if I made a mistake that made it off the needle. It would probably be a messed up hat after completion and I'd try another.

Ooops, sorry!:aww:

iza
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
We don't make mistakes. They're just "happy little accidents", to quote Bob Ross! :teehee:

lelvsdgs
02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
At first I thought this poll was a joke :). It just part of the process with me. And like many of you if it's not really noticeable, I don't fix it. I don't have too much of a problem going back and fixing things now. Guess I've let go of some of the angst about never making a mistake.
Now if I can just stop pointing out every single mistake to the person I've just knitted something for, I'd be golden...:oops:

mks22300
02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I always make a mistake in each of my projects! :teehee:

Ingrid
02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Excellent point, Artlady! I was just thinking last night that it's a very good thing indeed that I know how to fix my 'temorary' mistakes, because there are always a few floating around--especially when I stay up too late.

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Truthfully, I hoped this would help newbies understand that even experienced knitters make all kinds of mistakes and it is just part of what knitting is. Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

cristeen
02-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Each mistake is a learning experience. My very first one taught me the importance of swatching. My first big project taught me how to run a ladder and fix mistakes. My most current one taught me how to count rows on cables... after miscounting the first dozen cable crosses, and now I have to decide whether to stick with what I've been doing, or change back to the actual pattern, since I'm sure not going to frog 12 inches of work.

Ce la vie.

Mike
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Truthfully, I hoped this would help newbies understand that even experienced knitters make all kinds of mistakes and it is just part of what knitting is. Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

It's made me think that maybe I should knit faster and not worry about making a mistake that I'll have to frog to fix.

Unless I'm doing double knit that is :)

brendajos
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I make mistakes all the time and i rarely fix them unless it is mistake that is confounding me (I found an error once in a pattern that was making me crazy because my count was constantly off. the written instructions were missing a stitch. It was the pattern that made me start using charts, because the charted pattern wasn't missing the stitch... :wall:) I am a very lazy knitter and if i can figure out a way to make the mistake look okay, i will do that rather than fix it.

(it really is amazing that Dustina and I are friends considering how opposite we are in things like this....lol)

Arielluria
02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
LOL. Totally agree! I'm in the majority here and I wouldn't trust someone who says they never make mistakes as far as I could throw them ;)

WolfWalker
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Do I make mistakes?? I'm human, therefore I do. I fix them. It's all good. :-)

Every major project I've done, whether knit or crochet, always tests my "fixing" abilities. I enjoy challenging myself.

Debra in NC

Ronda
02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh, I sooooooooo needed to read this! I had it in my head that most of you NEVER made mistakes and I was the only one. I get so frustrated with myself. In fact, I made one FT clog. It was perfect (as far as I know) until I got to the bumper. Somehow, I made a mistake when I added the bumper, and it looks funky. Now, I know that felting hides errors and all that, but this looks especially funky and I have a feeling it will still look funky after it's felted, so I've never made my second clog nor have I started my daughter's clogs. I made a mistake on my latest Lucy bag, and it's still sitting neglected while I try to figure out if it's worth "saving." (I was at the end of the bag on the straps.)
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one making mistakes....now I have to go back to see if Ingrid responded....

Ingrid
02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one making mistakes....now I have to go back to see if Ingrid responded....

Oh, no. I never make mistakes. Ever. I'm perfect.

:---:---:---:---:---:teehee:

I fix them when I can, and if they're not bothersome when they can't be fixed, I leave them.:shrug:

suzeeq
02-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Well I do fix the mistakes when I find them, so maybe they're not mistakes. But I do make them.

Ronda
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I fix them when I can, and if they're not bothersome when they can't be fixed, I leave them.:shrug:

More than one of you "pro" (IMHO) knitters has said this, and this really does make me feel better about myself! LOL

gingerbread
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Like everyone I make mistakes. :roflhard: This last time I was making socks for my grandson. Now I love making socks, that is what I love to do. I missed a whole part of the socks. I had to rip all the way to the gusset.:cry: They are in a bag right now taking time out. I was so mad at myself. So yup make mistakes big time. I can at least now undo and repair my mistakes. :waving:

walmin22
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I never make mistakes, just some unintended design features. :mrgreen:

Knitting Guy your replies always make my day a little brighter! Thank you.

ArtLady I love you. With your definition I'm not as Goofy as I thought!!!!!

KnitWit1987
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I just count on the fact that I will mess up atleast once on everything. I get so frustrated because I want perfection I rip the entire thing out! I have been on the last row and ripped an entire hat out and started over!... I know its ridiculous :blush:

mwhite
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Mistakes? Always and consider it a part of the learning process. Mary

coral
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Mistakes are part of the knitting process for me too. Mostly, it's when I am not just knitting but doing something else and think I am knitting too!

As the years have progressed, I can judge better whether my skill and mood match the pattern and thread complexity quotient. I think there could be a formula for that.

Something like ....

[1(skill) + 4(current mood)] = (read as must equal) (pattern difficulty factor + thread comlexity factor) divided by enviroment distraction factor

I do fine in chair with soft music by a window with light after a day of hard physical work.

But often times, I try to get some knitting in while doing something else part-time. Like knitting during the kid's gym time. Sounds good until someone starts talking to you about something interesting and you realize your kids in the game and you missed the his shot at the basket, etc... I've learned to take a simple garter pattern scarf to the game on unless I am in the mood to frog it!

knitgal
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Who doesn't make mistakes? I want to meet these people- they're probably with the tooth fairy and unicorns somewhere.
I make mistakes on most projects, but they're not usually too "major". If they are major I rip it back, but usually it's either something only I will noticed, or I catch it right after I do it.
Mistakes are part of the learning process.

Sanibelle
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately I am not perfect and since I am quite anal, I always go back and fix my mistakes even if I am the only one that knows it is there... if I can see it, it makes me crazy till I fix it.

Yesterday I went to my LYS at lunch and was working on the sweater I am making. We were sitting and talking and knitting and when I got home I realized I messed something up on the first row I dod when I got there - so I had to from about 2 inches.... broker my heart, but I could not deal ith not fixing it.

psquidy
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I get a kind of rush when I make a huge mistake and then I fix it. I'm always really mad when I make it but once your done and you've fixed it-you feel great. It's kind of like throwing up. :)

lelvsdgs
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
That's brilliant! I know when I take up something new, I feel better when I see that even people with experience make mistakes. Thanks for this post!:)

lelvsdgs
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I get a kind of rush when I make a huge mistake and then I fix it. I'm always really mad when I make it but once your done and you've fixed it-you feel great. It's kind of like throwing up. :)
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

lelvsdgs
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I missed a whole part of the socks. I had to rip all the way to the gusset.:cry: They are in a bag right now taking time out.
My projects sometimes have to take time outs... Otherwise, it can get ugly...
eek 3 posts in a row... sorry...