PDA

View Full Version : Dyson vacuums-Update page 4 bought the Dyson

stitchwitch
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
My three year old Bissell bit the dust a couple of days ago, it literally disintegrated. Now this wasn't a vacuum that got abused, we have a central vac system but we used the Bissell on our carpet, a whole four rooms.
My husband wants a Dyson, I say they are outrageously priced but if they are that much better I'll buy it. Anybody have one, have had one, has a relative or friend with one? What's the verdict on them?:???:

Sharly
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I have one. First of all, you may know, I have 9 (NINE!) indoor cats. The dyson is by far the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned in that price range*. I have mostly hard surfaces, which it does great on, but the area rug in my living room has a black border (I have no black cats) and really demonstrates the ability of the dyson to clean. It is easy to use and does a great job. We have had it now for, oh, probably a little over two years I think, and have had no problems with it at all.

It has a nice long cord and that is a wonderful feature. The container is simple to dump (but always do that in an outside receptacle <---voice of experience), and the attachments are all useful.

*I mention the price range because I once had a Rainbow, and while it always did a fantastic job, it was way more expensive than my Dyson and quite cumbersome to use. I found it to be inconvenient and I was always quite conflicted about where to dump the dirty water.

I'm sure there are others who may have had a different experience with the Dyson, but for our purposes (and I think we really put it to the test), it does a super job!

If hubby is willing, I say don't fight it!!

bethany
02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
2 kids, 2 cats, 1 messy dh and a bad housekeeper....

I LOVE my Dyson. It is so worth the $. If you'd gotten one 3 years ago, you'd not be replacing it, so you wouldn't have spent what you did for Bissel...it's worth it, IMHO.

Silver
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I love my Dyson. It works WAY better than my Kirby did and that was a $1200 vacuum. I always thought my Kirby did a great job until I got my Dyson, and saw what real suction power does. Plus there are no bags, belts, or filters to replace. I had mine for a month before my mom went and bought one too.

Now I can't say that the Dyson is the best out there though. There may well be other vacuums out there that work just as well or better, but I am not disappointed in my Dyson at all. I believe they're expensive because you never have to buy any bags or belts which would continue the revenue for the company. Once a Dyson is sold, that's all they get from you. ;)

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't have one so I can't say. Everyone who has one seems to love them though.
Strangely Consumer Reports rates them rather low. :shrug:

Nikkilc
02-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I have had a dyson for a few yrs and they are great :heart:

tootie44
02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I did not want to spend the money either...but after getting a cheaper one that was top rated by consumer reports, and having it clog up after only 15 minutes I bit the bullet.

The thing is amazing!! I can vacuum a rug that looks clean and get a full canister of dirt and cat hair out of it. Best vacuum I have every used.

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with their 20% off coupon so at least I saved a little $$ that way.

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
My dd has one and loves hers. She has a dog and a cat and hardwood, but still loves it.

stitchwitch
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
You guys rock! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for the tip on Bed Bath and Beyond too and thanks for the info on the belts, filters, etc. :muah: Now I just need to figure out which one I need.....

jdee
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I LOVE my dyson. I was like you, about not wanting to pay that much money. In fact, we got ours at Home Depot, on clearance, when they were moving out the old model. After taxes, I think it ended up being a little over $300, which is actually inexpensive for one. I still balked at the price, but I was so wrong. It really is a great product...And as you may have read, I have multiple cats, too.

The only thing you want to be careful about is throw rugs. It'll try to suck them right in with the dirt. lol

brendajos
02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
it literally disintegrated.

okay see, now THAT would almost make it worth buying for me to see it literally disintegrate! :teehee:

(sorry, I can't help it...when I see the things that people say "literally" happen my mind starts to wander and I imagine the most amazing things! {literally laughing my *ss off is my favorite and i am TOTALLY jealous of those people! ;)}) :muah:

snowbear
02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Get the Dyson. I have one that is extra good for pet hair. I have a long hair cat. Not a problem. My dyson picks up hair on the couch, the carpet, the drapes etc.

I also use the small motorized attachment to clean my mattress once a month and you would be suprised at the amount dust mites etc it sucks up.

I've had it for over 2 yrs, and my allergies improved 100%. It is so worth the $.

Oh,, can you tell I love my Dyson? It is awesome!:woohoo:

spectorkitty
02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I love my Dyson! It took a bit of walking around Sears trying to talk myself into spending that much money for a vacuum, but I'm not sorry I did!

I agree with the cat hair thing, the first time I vacuumed my rug with it I was horrified!! It was crazy how much hair and dirt came out of the rug. I felt like such a bad housekeeper.

It is a bit of money but well worth it in my opinion.

brendajos
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh and just so that i may at least be a LITTLE bit helpful in my post... My mother bought a Dyson and her cleaning ladies love it. They clean a lot of houses and they seem to rave about the vaccuum. Yeah, she is ridiculous and never uses it herself (granted it is hard for her to get around sometimes so vaccuuming really would take it out of her but sheesh...) I have to think that if it is good enough that the cleaning ladies raved aobut it though, it has to be good enough for those of us who don't have cleaning ladies! ;)

spectorkitty
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
my dream is to one day have a cleaning lady..even though I'm the type that would feel bad if someone else had to clean up after me, and would want to clean before the cleaning people came.

Krystal
02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Ohhh if I could afford a Dyson I would have one. I have 3 cats and only have a little crappy cordless vac. When I moved into this apartment the landlords said they were gonna rip up the stained beige carpet and put in a brand new one and I told them NOOOO. Because I KNEW I'd never be able to keep the new one clean... And I'd only ever had hard wood before.

But I read a photo blog ( Faux Toe Rama! (http://www.redpac.com/photo/) ) and the guy had posted some pics... This was amazing.

He has purchased a house where the previous owners had 2 dogs and a cat. He vacuumed the carpet twice using his regular vac... But he and his wife bought a Pet Hair Dyson with some wedding gift cards they'd recieved...

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/krystal_pare/LJ/dyson3.jpg

They got THAT MUCH off of that carpet. It was a 9 x 11 room.

Like I said, I'd have one if I could afford it.

kellyh57
02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
LOVE my Dyson! I only wish I could afford 2 more for the other floors so I don't have to carry it up and down the stairs all the time. I want the little one now to clean up the little spills here and there. My dustbuster has "bit the dust" and I want something new, but that thing is really pricey and I think it looks a little too manly for me...(I can make one of the boys around here use it all the time!)

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
What's the verdict on them?:???:

They suck.

cheley
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I LOVE my dyson. I was like you, about not wanting to pay that much money. In fact, we got ours at Home Depot, on clearance, when they were moving out the old model. After taxes, I think it ended up being a little over $300, which is actually inexpensive for one. I still balked at the price, but I was so wrong. It really is a great product...And as you may have read, I have multiple cats, too.

The only thing you want to be careful about is throw rugs. It'll try to suck them right in with the dirt. lol Oh yea, I am replying to this one..yes, dyson will suck the ball off a trailer hitch!!! No doubt, but it is very cumbersome under furniture/tight spaces...you see the "wand" does come off, however, the handle stays with the hose, which make it very awkward to manuever...mine(bought it a few months ago) came with lots of attachments, but none fit under my furniture..I have too move a lot of things around to work with the "very heavy" handle.The hose will dis-engage from the handle, but it doesn't give you a lot of "length" to work with...there are no "extensions", so you use the "wand".....Oh boy, I really begged DH for this one:thumbsup:

GinnyG
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Just had to add my tw cents....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
My Dyson!!!!!!!!!!

snowbear
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by stitchwitch http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/ca_serenity_purple/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1067578#post1067578) What's the verdict on them?:???:
They suck.:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
That's like saying all trucks can haul loads. It depends on the specific one, and their specific ability, lol.. Like was said...It can suck a ball off the trailor hitch, lol

I love mine.. It is awesome!

princess
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
i used to work at a vet hospital, wanna talk about fur balls? lol. we would go through a vacuum a month on average. Then, we got a dyson :) that thing never died or clogged, it was INCREDIBLE

KnitWit1987
02-22-2008, 01:12 AM
My sister has one, she likes it ok. Everytime I go to her house she has me bring my oreck because it is so much lighter. I got to pick between a oreck or dyson and got the oreck because I have three flights of stairs in my house.

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Yeah, Orecks suck too.

KnitWit1987
02-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Yeah, Orecks suck too.

:teehee: Yea my Oreck sure does suck alll the dog and cat hair and everything else straight out of my carpet!! :teehee:

Sharly
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
The only thing you want to be careful about is throw rugs. It'll try to suck them right in with the dirt. lol

Good point! Also, when I use it in the bathroom, I invariably get the shower curtain sucked up in it! You have to turn it off, too. There's no just pulling it back out!

They suck.
:roflhard:

stitchwitch
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
okay see, now THAT would almost make it worth buying for me to see it literally disintegrate! :teehee:

Well it was pretty funny, the thing started burning up and my husband was standing there with a handful of pieces of it. When we investigated further we found pieces of it throughout the house that had dropped off. :roflhard:

HollyP
02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I love my Dyson! I have a dog and two cats. The Dyson absolutely takes care of the pet hair with no problems. About a year or so after we got it started making this horrible noise and not working well. We called them and they arranged for it's repair at a local repair shop and for a loaner dyson while it was being repaired. I was really pleased with their customer service.
When my sister was moving out of her apartment I took it over to do one last quick vacuum. She also has 2 cats and had been really stringent about vacuuming. When I went over the carpets we were both shocked to see the amount of hair her Bissel had missed. She is now saving up for a Dyson!

knitgal
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't have one, but after reading this thread I really want one. I have a Bissell that is ok, but I always feel like there is a lot of hair still on the floor. Also, I seem to pick up a lot of yarn fuzz after I vacuum.

ecb
02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
We use a Dyson at our camp, it is used to keep the medical Center Clean, and is used once a week. it has multiple parts that are broken, it does get the dirt up off the wood floor, but everything looses suction in the cracks, even a Dyson.
Now when we use it, it has work to do, but it should have lasted more than 7 uses before it broke a support. the latch that holds the hose in the handle broke when the hose was being put back in its place, and the base to the canister no longer detaches with its switch, and has to be done with the fingers.
it just seemed that if we spent over $400 (with a huge discount) we should have gotten something that did not have so many small plastic parts to break, and some customer support who will send replacement parts in a reasonable time, and not months of wait, IF AT ALL
sorry, I M not impressed with our Dyson at all

ecb

Luvmyrottnboy
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
i am going to be in the minority here but I have had a Dyson for 3 years and an Oreck for 4 months and I will take the Oreck any day.

Dyson is wonderful on rug but not so great on the floors. Oreck is awesome on both plus it is way lighter. It also gets all the way under the beds and furniture. You have to use an attachment on the Dyson to do that.

I have a long coated Rottweiler who sheds all year and copiously. My cat is a long hair too so a good vacuum is very important to me!

My Oreck gets bits of kibble my two slobs get all over but the Dyson just breaks it up and spits it back out.

The Oreck came with a free canister vac with a should strap and I use that for walls, furniture and my car. I also got a free cordless sweeper which I love beyond reason.

The 2 drawbacks of the Oreck: it uses belts (I hate belts) and it is LOUD. But it works so much better for me I don't care:)

Lucy78green
02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
We've had one for years. We had an ancient Ferguson bought in the 70's that blew up after 15 years. So we got a Miele that lasted about 2 years. We then got a Dyson in a half price sale in a local electrical store. We needed something that could perch on stairs (we have 6 flights) and suck up hair from carpet. We got a cylinder one not an upright. Ours does have filters that you can remove and wash but they need replacing eventually - the newer ones I believe don't have them. The only thing that has gone wrong with ours is that the automatic flex winder wont work any more.

losnana
02-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I have only had mine for about three months, having replaced a Kirby. LOVE the Dyson. You won't believe how much stuff it gets out of a supposedly-clean carpet. We have no pets, so I did not buy the one designed for pet hair.

momwolf
02-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Love mine and wouldn't have anything else:woohoo:

cookworm
02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I've had an upright Dyson (we had two Labs!) "pet hair model" for a few years, and I *LOVE* it!!! I was a bit nervous about the price, too, but they advertised that their machines don't lose suction, and after having like 4 vacuums in not that many years (we don't abuse them either, they just seem to lose suction quickly), I decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to get a vacuum I didn't have to replace very often.

For what it's worth, I feel that it's worth the money. The features I like best are that it doesn't lose suction, and NO VACUUM BAGS!!! :cheering: (because it seems you're always running out of vacuum bags at the most inopportune times, doesn't it? And they are pricey, and inconvenient to locate to purchase)

stitchwitch
02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
We bought the Dyson DC17 Animal today and used a coupon to bring the price down $110. I'll post grotty pictures of the stuff that comes out of my otherwise clean carpets later. :teehee:
Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

Jan in CA
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Holy cow..where did you get it for that price and what coupon?

stitchwitch
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Holy cow..where did you get it for that price and what coupon?
Don't get too excited, it brought the price down $110, I didn't pay $110 for it, I wish!!:roflhard: I used a Linens and Things coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond, out the door was $470.79. :cheering: I threw away my B, B & B coupon a week or so ago and they let me just use their competetor's coupon which was nice. Saving $110 was nice.
The best part is DH is treating the thing as a new tool and is rampantly cleaning everything in the house with it as I type this. :roflhard: That alone is worth the price!!

Silver
02-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Congrats on your new toy!!! I'm excited for you! :cheering:

(You know we're getting old when we get excited by new appliances.) :teehee:

KnitClickChick
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
You're going to love the Dyson! After years of buying Bissel, Hoover, etc. with a short life, I finally decided to go for the Dyson. I wasn't too thrilled about the price tag, but figured I had probably already spent that much replacing the cheap junky vacuum cleaners, it would be saving me money in the long run. I have four cats who do nothing but shed and track litter all over the place. I forget the exact model, but it has "the ball", which makes it so super easy to swivel around corners, chair legs, etc. I love the fact that I don't have to unplug it to go into a different room, very long cord. It is the only vacuum cleaner I have owned that actually picks up all the cat hair!

campbellmom549
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
The best part is DH is treating the thing as a new tool and is rampantly cleaning everything in the house with it as I type this. :roflhard: That alone is worth the price!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Little does he know...

yarnrainbow
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Would you mind telling how noisy it is? I'm hopefully going to be buying a new vacuum soon and I was thinking about the Dyson, but for me how noisy it is will be a determining factor. My current Hoover is so loud I can't run it for more than a couple of minutes at a time without getting a headache. I swear...it sounds like a jet is in the house. I can't go through that anymore. Seriously, when I use it, the neighbor's dog (two doors down) starts howling...every single time I use it.

alleusion
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Oh what I wouldn't pay to see that! I've been lusting after a Dyson for a very long time. The Dyson and a Janome embroidery machine are at the top of my "lust after list". I hope you enjoy it...I'll get one someday.

stitchwitch
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Would you mind telling how noisy it is? I'm hopefully going to be buying a new vacuum soon and I was thinking about the Dyson, but for me how noisy it is will be a determining factor. My current Hoover is so loud I can't run it for more than a couple of minutes at a time without getting a headache. I swear...it sounds like a jet is in the house. I can't go through that anymore. Seriously, when I use it, the neighbor's dog (two doors down) starts howling...every single time I use it.

OK, when we tested it out in the store my first comment was that it was much quieter. Today in our house it also seemed alot quieter than the Bissell ever was. Our cat who is ultra fearful of the vacuum, even a dustbuster, stayed in her cat hammock the entire time my DH vacuumed. Usually she hides in back of the dryer.
I can't tell if it's actually quieter or it's simply a lower tone of noise but it's different and better, not so "screamy".
Hope that helps.

Jan in CA
02-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't get too excited, it brought the price down $110, I didn't pay $110 for it, I wish!!:roflhard: I used a Linens and Things coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond, out the door was $470.79.

:doh: Oh. I knew it was too good to be true! :teehee: One of these days maybe..

Silver
02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Would you mind telling how noisy it is?
I agree with Stitchwitch that it's not as "screamy" as other vacuums. It's more of a windy, wooshy sound. It's like the sound is all suction, very little motor.

The Dyson and a Janome embroidery machine are at the top of my "lust after list". I hope you enjoy it...I'll get one someday.
Trying not to hijack the thread, but the Janome is another machine I could rave and rave about. I have a 9000, I'm coveting an 11000, but this 9000 is my baby! :heart:

Debkcs
02-25-2008, 01:19 PM
The Dyson's are such great vacuums. If mine,that we've had for twelve years, ever stops working like new, we'll get one.

Kristen, I think Janome makes the best sewing machines ever. Had a Pfaff for twenty eight years, but it finally died and we got a Janome for free, from a good friend who was updating to an 1100. Not a bad deal, it sews like a dream.

photolady
02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't have one so I can't say. Everyone who has one seems to love them though.
Strangely Consumer Reports rates them rather low. :shrug:

I just bought a Bissel Powerforce Bagless vacuum today.
I got it because of it's light weight, and bagless feature.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/newvacuumFeb08.jpg
It vacuums quite well. Pretty quiet, too. I didn't notice it being noisy.
VERY easy to move around, too. Lightweight, compared to my old Hoover.
As you can see, I've already used it. The dysons were too expensive. :biting: I don't like spending 400 to 600 dollars for a cleaning instrument. I'd rather use that money for something else.

Sharly
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Congrats Stitchwitch! I hope you will grow to love your Dyson like we love ours!

Wanda Witch
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I too have been pondering for quite some time about which new vacuum to buy (since it isn't a fun 'thing' I pondered quite a long time). My old Oreck is about to fall apart so after reading all of the above remarks about the Dyson - I did it. Purchased the DC07 (we only have one dog - poodle and doesn't shed) for $334.9with no shipping or tax. Hope I like mine as well as all of you have. NOW, if I could just get DH to 'try' it out, I'd be soooo happy!

Sharly
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Congrats Wanda!! I hope you love it!!

jamiejeans
02-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I.Love.My.Dyson. I can't say enough good things about it. And has anyone noticed that Dyson has a cult like following?

I think Consumer Reports rates items based on what companies give them the most "donations". Every vacuum sales person I spoke with when looking at a new vacuum cleaner would say that the Dyson is the best. One guy said he purposely does self tests trying to clog all the vacuums he sells, and the Dyson is the only one he can't clog.

I have 2 cats and a dog, and it's perfect. I bought the Animal DC-15 but it's the same as any other DC-15, just extra attachments I don't use. They have a new DC-18 I'd kill for. My mom has the Dyson Slim...too small for me, but she loves it.

Enjoy!

Wanda Witch
03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I received my Dyson yesterday, it made its 'maiden voyage' in just the living, dining rooms and one bedroom (more to go later) and I cannot believe what is in the bin. The carpeting was almost new when we moved in (two years in April), two adults and one poodle (they don't shed), and I've vacuumed on a regular basis with the old Oreck, but WOW. I am impressed. I do believe I will join the above mentioned 'cult.'

knitasha
03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
OK, when we tested it out in the store my first comment was that it was much quieter. Today in our house it also seemed alot quieter than the Bissell ever was. Our [quote=yarnrainbow;1069699]Would you mind telling how noisy it is? I'm hopefully going to be buying a new vacuum soon and I was thinking about the Dyson, but for me how noisy it is will be a determining factor. My current Hoover is so loud I can't run it for more than a couple of minutes at a time without getting a headache. I swear...it sounds like a jet is in the house. I can't go through that anymore. Seriously, when I use it, the neighbor's dog (two doors down) starts howling...every single time I use it.

If noise is an issue (and it is for me), look at the Electrolux Harmony series. These Swedish-made machines are very nearly silent; a gentle hum is all you hear. Apparently the mufffling technology for vacuums is available but the manufacturers don't use it because they think customers equate LOUD with POWERFUL. I have the smaller Harmony and it does a perfectly good job on bare floors, upholstery and rugs. It probably doesn't have the sheer sucking power of the Dysons and Mieles, but I'm not a clean-crazy housekeeper either. It does get the cat hair off the couch, which is all I care about.