PDA

View Full Version : Question about "set-up row"

gamerchik
02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi there! I was going to try this sweater about a month ago, but I just bought yarn for it today (it's the Manly Sweater from Stitch 'n Bitch). Anyway, the pattern says this:

Set-up row: K3, p1, *k5, p1; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.
Work in k5, p1 rib as set for 18".

Does that mean that for every subsequent row after the set-up row, I do this:
K3, p1, *k5, p1; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3 (same as set-up row)

...or does it mean that for every subsequent row after the set-up row, I do this:
*K5, p1; rep from *

What does "as set" mean?

Thanks in advance! :D

suzeeq
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I think it would mean for every row after that you follow the rib pattern that was established.... and that mean knit the knit sts, purl the purl sts as they appear on the row that you're working on. That last is very important - forget what you did to the st on the row before, look at the sts on each row - when you see a knit st, knit it, when you see a purl st, purl it. The knits are Vs and the purls look like an n - sorta...

gamerchik
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay, so basically I want to make sure it all looks the same to establish the ribbing? So go ahead and follow the 3,1, *5,1*, 3 pattern (whether knitting or purling)?

Suzeeq...you are so awesome! Every time I have a question, you have a great answer! Thanks so much. :D :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

suzeeq
02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
On the second row, you would p3, k1, p5, p1, etc, to the last 3 sts, where you p3.

Then repeat those 2 rows. Yes the 5x1 rib pattern repeats, but don't forget the 3 sts on each end.

gamerchik
02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Thank you so much! :D :muah: :muah: :muah: