PDA

View Full Version : Entrelac vs. Intarsia.....what's the difference?

boo1
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I've seen a hat done in both and I'm not sure I know.

Thanks!

(In case you haven't noticed, I've been asking lots of color knitting questions. Debating between trying Fair Isle, Intarsia, Entrelac, and the mysterious 'stranded' knitting (whatever that is).....)

:)

Ingrid
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
They're very different. Intarsia has you knit motifs onto a background by switching yarns.

Entrelac is knitting separate sections onto other sections. You don't have to change colors if you don't want to, but if you do, you're only using one color at a time.

Abbily
02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
This is an example of intarsia: http://www.indian-embroidery.com/gifs/tunisian-intarsia-crochet.jpg

It's just using two or more different yarns to create a picture.

This is entrelac: http://tryingtogrok.mu.nu/archives/entrelac.JPG

The diamonds are knit one at a time- the black ones are knit slanting to the right, then stitches are picked up along the left sides with white yarn and the white diamonds are knitted slanting to the left.

Intarsia is knit (generally) in straight rows back and forth across the piece, changing yarns to create the picture.

Entrelac is knit one triangle or diamond at a time, with each new triangle/diamond building on previous ones.

suzeeq
02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
You can also do entrelac with a selfstriping yarn which usually looks like a different color for each block, or use just one color.

boo1
02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
:knitting:

I think intarsia looks easier except that I have such a hard time reading charts! (They're so easy in crochet!). I'm bringing a chart to the store, might try the Fake Isle Hat.

redheadrachel
02-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Actually the Fake Isle Hat isn't intarsia OR entrelac - it's stranded colorwork.

So basically intarsia and stranded (sometimes called Fair Isle, but not all stranded knitting is Fair Isle knitting) are both different ways to do colorwork. Entrelac is something different all together (which they've already explained).

boo1
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Actually the Fake Isle Hat isn't intarsia OR entrelac - it's stranded colorwork.

I figured that. I'm considering trying it as much to learn how to read a chart as anything else. I am seriously chart-challenged!:eyes:

alleusion
02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
From what I've read, Fair Isle is stranded colourwork. It's just a different type of that particular method. I once read an amazing explanation in a blog someone linked - but I never bookmarked it and now I can't remember where I saw it.

princessbonniejane
02-22-2008, 12:24 PM
if you don't want to do entrelac or fair isle then get som patterned yarn at a store.