PDA

View Full Version : No More Sodas

jdee
02-22-2008, 03:30 PM
My doctor wants me to give up my diet cokes. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but you have to know me to understand. I LOVE my cokes. It's my coffee in the morning, my beverage with lunch, my midnight snack, and everything in between. I hate to admit it, but I drink over a twelve pack a day, not including the Rt 44 sonic drink I get and all the ones I get out of the machines when shopping for groceries. I even drink one while I take my bath.

Anyway, no more of that. My doctor wants me to give all that up, and I'm really going to try. I just drank my last one...OMG...Please pray for me.....

saracidaltendencies
02-22-2008, 03:34 PM
WOW! I feel for you, I truly do! I'm a soda addict myself and I've tried to give it up, but, to no avail...I'll be thinking of you and hoping you can get through it!

vaknitter
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
WOW - you have my sympathy. Giving anything your body is that used to is hard. The carbonation in soda tends to upset my stomach so I have never been much of a soda drinker. I have however recently started getting addicted to Cafe au Laits and Mistos (coffee with milk). Even cutting back from a couple a day to a couple a week has been hard for me.
Can you replace the soda with something like Crystal Light or flavored seltzer water?

Jan in CA
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow..that is a lot of soda! Can't you just cut back more gradually?

It'll take some getting used to, but you can do it! :thumbsup:

Abbily
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Holy cow, you're giving all that up cold turkey? Good luck! :)

I am trying to cut down on them myself... what I've been doing is making carbonated lemonade- 1 can of la croix carbonated water, a squirt of lemon juice and a couple of splenda packets.

lelvsdgs
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, try to focus on the positive side of it. When you beat the addiction and you are healthier you will probably feel a lot better. Diet sodas rob the body of Calcium and we women need our calcium. I do feel your pain... I am trying to stop drinking regular soda... bad for the waistline and the bones... I am switching to iced tea because I like it without sugar.

I'll be thinking about you and sending good vibes your way...:muah:

Ronda
02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I had a bad Diet Coke habit about 11 years ago. I didn't drink as much as you, and I did have coffee in the a.m. instead of soda! But I understand how hard it is to give up that soda. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

iza
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
We often mix carbonated water with 100% fruit juice (no sugar added). It's better than soda for sure. But your "replacement" drink will depend on why your doctor asked you to stop. If it's because you don't drink anything else in a day and it replaces food, drinking the same quantity of carbonated water with juice/crystal light is a little better, but still not great. :shrug: Is it because of the quantity, variety, content of the drink, or all of these reasons?

It must be really hard to quit a habit like this so suddenly. :shock: I feel your pain! :hug: But yes, focus on the positive side! You can do it! :thumbsup:

Abbily
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Just think of all the yarn you can buy with the money you were spending on diet coke... :)

jdee
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
It's mainly because I want to lose weight. She told me studies have shown diet drinks tend to hold onto calories. I'll be 40 years old in August, and I guess it's just not good for me.

Anyway, I've done it before. It was about 6 years ago, and I gave them up. I tried just cutting back to a few a day, but I guess I'm just too weak. If they're there, I'll drink them. I finally made the decision, and I was soda free. I was drinking more water, I had lost 40 pounds, and I just felt better all around. I don't know what possessed me to start drinking them again. I guess I thought that since I had them out of my system, I'd be able to enjoy one occasionally. It worked for a while, but it wasn't long until I was back where I was, with my coke addiction (sorry for the bad pun). Apparantly, for me it's all or nothing. It's a good think I don't like alcohol, isn't it?:teehee:

Anyway, I want to feel good like that again. I've been diagnosed with severe depression, and I've battled it off and on for years. I just want to feel good.

Silver
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Best of luck! If you did it once, you can do it again! :) I too had a bad habit, about 6-8 cans a day, and cut out diet coke about 2 1/2 years ago (around the same time I quit smoking!) I now have a soda only about once or twice a week. I've had an unopened 2 liter of diet coke in the fridge since Thanksgiving. I NEVER thought that would happen! LOL

Phretys
02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
For those trying to cut out sodas, here's more food for thought: It's been on the news recently that in women, there is a close association between early onset of osteoporosis and regular consumption of carbonated drinks at a young age and beyond. There's debate over whether plain carbonated water causes any problems, but the phosphoric acid in colas definitely decrease bone density.

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
You're better off without the sodas. Do like I do and drink beer instead. :mrgreen:

SabrinaJL
02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I feel for ya. I used to drink about a 6 pack of regular soda a day (Coke or DP). I'm not a coffee drinker so soda was my caffeine of choice. I had cut down to one soda every week or 2, but now I'm back up to 1 or 2 a day.

Darcia
02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't like any pop. It makes my teeth feel dirty after drinking it.

I think I remember seeing that there is two tablespoons of sugar in reg pop and other bad stuff in diet like aspartame, etc. So just think of all the unnecessary crap you will be not taking in anymore. Water, tea, juice and milk. No need to drink sugar, eat chocolate instead. That's the best way to get your sugar!!

evona
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Recently I started buying sparkling water in order to help my teenage kids cut down on soda. I wasn't expecting much at first. As a matter of fact I expected them to say they hated the stuff, but lo and behold they like it. My daughter just squeezes some lemon and lime and . . .voila . . . its a lemon lime soda. Recently we had a 16th b-day party for my son and I mixed sparkling water with cranberry/apple/grape juice and I couldn't keep enough of it on hand for all the kids' friends. My point is, perhaps doing something like that will help you through the Diet Coke withdrawal more than you would initially think. I know that won't help where the caffeine is concerned, but perhaps you can drink some tea for your caffeine boost :)

We're rooting for you!!! :hug:

Newfygirl
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe you could try sparking mineral water - it still has the fizzies but none of the other really bad stuff (maybe a little sodium). But it might be worth a try at least to get off the soda habit.
Good luck - any habit takes some time to break. Wishing you the best!!!!!

evona
02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
You're better off without the sodas. Do like I do and drink beer instead. :mrgreen:

Silly silly Mason!!! Wouldn't that be something to tell your doctor "So doc, I did as you said and cut out all those sodas. It was easy. I just replaced them with beer. And you know what doc, you're right, I couldn't be happier!" :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Silly silly Mason!!! Wouldn't that be something to tell your doctor "So doc, I did as you said and cut out all those sodas. It was easy. I just replaced them with beer. And you know what doc, you're right, I couldn't be happier!" :rofl:

I fail to see the problem. :cool:

stitchwitch
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
It's mainly because I want to lose weight. She told me studies have shown diet drinks tend to hold onto calories. I'll be 40 years old in August, and I guess it's just not good for me.

Anyway, I've done it before. It was about 6 years ago, and I gave them up. I tried just cutting back to a few a day, but I guess I'm just too weak. If they're there, I'll drink them. I finally made the decision, and I was soda free. I was drinking more water, I had lost 40 pounds, and I just felt better all around. I don't know what possessed me to start drinking them again. I guess I thought that since I had them out of my system, I'd be able to enjoy one occasionally. It worked for a while, but it wasn't long until I was back where I was, with my coke addiction (sorry for the bad pun). Apparantly, for me it's all or nothing. It's a good think I don't like alcohol, isn't it?:teehee:

Anyway, I want to feel good like that again. I've been diagnosed with severe depression, and I've battled it off and on for years. I just want to feel good.

I did the same thing! Gave up Mountain Dew, non diet cold turkey about 6 years ago, got healthy, felt great, lost weight. One day I needed a little pick me up and grabbed a coke, bad mistake. I now need to detox off of them again and I'm dreading it. Like you it's cold turkey for me, if they are there or I think I can have just one it's all over. I'll do it if you do! We can do it together! :cheering: Gotta start tomorrow though because today I drank a couple of Dr. Peppers.

newamy
02-22-2008, 09:24 PM
It will help you to quit, there is the afore mentioned bone density issue, also some people have more urinary tract infections with diet sodas, and the chemicals cannot be good for you.
Drink water. 2 liters a day. It will help you feel better, digest better, cleanse your body. You will feel more "awake" and have more energy when you have kicked the coke habit and are drinking more water.

I stopped drinking Pepsi last August. Regular--I can't stand diet drinks. I have 4 or 5 cans still in the fridge. Since then the only soda I have had is half a diet something when I was some place when that was the only beverage--couldn't finish it.

auburnchick
02-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I will keep you in my prayers. I understand how difficult it can be to give up something like that. You're not only giving up the item, but the habit.

I just love buying sodas while I'm out and about (usually non-caffeine and always regular, not diet cause I will not do artificial sweeteners). When I buy a soda, I also buy chocolate.

I gave up both for Lent. I actually gave up all drinks except for water as well as the chocolate. My husband had purchased a 74oz water jug for my daughter to use at soccer practice. I confiscated it and made it my own. Now, I fill it up before I leave for work. By the time I leave for home at 1:45 each afternoon, I've drank the whole bottle.

When I get home, I fill it up again and drink it before I go to bed. On top of that, I drink two separate eight ounce glasses (one in the morning, and one in the afternoon) to take supplements with. So, for the last two weeks, I've been drinking over a gallon of water each day.

The chocolate, I've found, is also a habit. Next year, I plan on giving up sugar for Lent.

Anyhow, my point is that I totally understand. You'll do a little better each day, and you'll have days that are rough. You'll be amazed in a week, then in two, and so forth.

:hug:

Chikky
02-22-2008, 10:18 PM
It's not hard to give up. I LOVED soda and decided one year to just give it up, just to see how long I could last, and then after awhile I couldn't stand it. I lasted a year. Now, I can't drink it at all. No coffee, no pop, nothing really caffienated. It's not hard. And I was one of the biggest soda drinkers ever. You'll feel better, too.

Krystal
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh this is HARD. I was considering weaning myself, from my 1liter-2liter a day habit. (depends on my snacks... a weekend might have more chips meaning more pop...) and after reading all of this... I have decided to just stop all together.

I HAVE been craving water instead a bit more, but my tap water is nasty... I will buy myself a giant pack of bottled water instead of pop. I have cut back at work. I work in fast food, and we get free unlimited pop. So of course I would have a glass of coke every chance I had. I have since the new year cut it out, and only drink water at work, except on lunch I have a small coke. I can't stand water with food, it tastes funny...

But I have maybe 1 glass left of my 2 liter in the fridge, and it will be my last. It's about time I got started on doing this. I have done the majority of my healthier life resolution, except for giving up pop.

wishing us both luck and water... lots of yummy water.:)

auburnchick
02-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Why don't you buy a Brita filter? They make them in different sizes. I have a big one sitting right in my laundry room. I don't use it anymore since I bought a fridge with a filter.

You know, I've done a lot of reading about health stuff. Many times, when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Also, many times, a headache is an indication that your body is thirsty.

Since I've started drinking the gallon+ of water, I've noticed that I don't have headaches. And this is despite the fact that it's a very stressful time for me...finishing up school papers and studying for finals. Usually, I've got a migraine by now.

Your body will adjust to the extra fluids. It's actually a great sign when you go alot...you're flushing your system.

Anyhow, I really encourage everyone to try drinking more water. I say this knowing how hard it is. I pass Starbucks every day on my way to and from work. :::::sigh::::::

campbellmom549
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM

I know all too well what depression is like. I find that drinking lots of water can really help. My husband's trying to get off sodas, too. I'm praying for you and hope you get through this. :heart:

cmk
02-23-2008, 03:00 AM
It is hard giving up something you enjoy. The doc advised I reduce my coffee consumption, but I had such bad headaches...
Good luck.

Debkcs
02-23-2008, 03:29 AM
A few weeks ago, when I ran out of Diet Cokes and got antsy about it, decided to never ever have any in the house again. It was just a once a day habit, but I wanted it when I wanted it. Mostly because it relieves some kind of pressure in my abdominal area; had all that checked out by a doctor, nothing wrong. Have to admit that I spent $0.55 for a Diet Coke at Costco today, though.

I'll be praying that this change is easy for you.

Knitting_Guy
02-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Why don't you buy a Brita filter?

I have one of those Brita pitchers and it's great. It really cleans up the water quite well.

dustinac
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I love Mt. Dew and Coca Cola but if I drink to much I can tell I start to feel sluggish. I like to drink water but for a change sometimes I'll add one of the Crystal light packets to a bottle of water...and the Lipton's Green tea it's good...:thumbsup:

kellyh57
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
You know, I've done a lot of reading about health stuff. Many times, when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Also, many times, a headache is an indication that your body is thirsty.

Since I've started drinking the gallon+ of water, I've noticed that I don't have headaches. And this is despite the fact that it's a very stressful time for me...finishing up school papers and studying for finals. Usually, I've got a migraine by now.

Your body will adjust to the extra fluids. It's actually a great sign when you go alot...you're flushing your system.

Actually, once you start drinking a lot of water, your body adjusts and you don't go more often, just more when you do. Does that make any sense. I drink a lot of water (more when I was pregnant even) and my US tech was amazed at how much I had in my bladder and wasn't uncomfortable. The doctors have also commented on it. Apparently I have a strong or large bladder. Weird!

I once had someone tell me that you're supposed to drink half of your body weight (pounds/ounces) in water. So, if you weigh 150 lbs, you drink 75 oz of water a day. I started it and was doing great while I was working. I'm not as good now, but I still drink at least my 64 ounces of water a day!

And those mix-in packets are great! I was just talking about these a couple of weeks ago with a friend. Ya know how when you go to sporting events and concerts outside and you can take unopened bottled water in and that's it? She takes those and the packets and has lemonade or peach tea or whatever- MUCH cheaper than the venue! My mom keeps a stash in her desk at work too for when she's just not in the mood for soda, but wants more than water.

Kelly

auburnchick
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Kelly, you are so right about not having to go as much. I forgot to include that in my post. People at work look at my "moonshine jug" as they call it (see photo below) and assume I'm in the bathroom constantly. I'm not, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2286320378_ae04f19db4.jpg

auburnchick
02-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that I'd be willing to sell my Brita filter for $10 plus shipping. It holds 18 cups. The filters last awhile. Here's the Brita site (http://staging.sftribalddb.com/brita/index_us.html), where you can read more about them.

I liked this one because it is larger, fits nicely on your refrigerator shelf, and easy to dispense from (my kids drink a lot of water, so this was perfect for them).

Here are some pictures:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2285536311_d26a86a74f_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2391/2286326618_16d469036e_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/2285534301_a2b30a3ee0_m.jpg

Eccie
02-23-2008, 12:51 PM
My doctor wants me to give up my diet cokes. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but you have to know me to understand. I LOVE my cokes. It's my coffee in the morning, my beverage with lunch, my midnight snack, and everything in between. I hate to admit it, but I drink over a twelve pack a day, not including the Rt 44 sonic drink I get and all the ones I get out of the machines when shopping for groceries. I even drink one while I take my bath.

Anyway, no more of that. My doctor wants me to give all that up, and I'm really going to try. I just drank my last one...OMG...Please pray for me.....

I gave them up not too long ago. It was hard to do. I was cranky and felt groggy in the mornings. It was my only source of caffiene. Hang in there, it can be done and the withdrawl feelings will go away. And think of all the money you'll save.

auburnchick
02-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey...I just had an idea :figureditout:

Why don't you reward yourself with a small knitting-related treat every week you survive "Diet-Cokeless." Maybe one skein of a favorite yarn, or a new book of knitting techniques?

A little incentive is a great motivator!

Hmmm...maybe I should do this to give up sugar. :teehee:

jdee
02-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm so happy to have so much support and encouragement. It really helps a lot. I've just finished day 1 with no cokes, and I'm doing ok. I have a little headache, but that's to be expected. It was quite a challange, because we went to Dallas today, and I always love to get a Rt 44 sonic drink for the road trip, then, when we stop for the inevitable pee break, I usually get a bottle of diet coke to refill my 44 oz cup. I know...I was BAD. Anyway, I didn't get any cokes today. I started my day with a small cup of hot chocolate (I've never liked coffee), then after that it was all water, all day.
I guess I just needed to get that resolve back that I had the first time I did this. Drinking water isn't going to be a problem, because I have filtered water from my fridge. I just need to keep this mind set, and deal with the headaches until the pass. It's just like last time. Now Monday, I have an appointment with a councelor. My doctor suggested I talk to a professional about my body image issues. I'm far more nervous about that. I'm afraid he's going to tell me that I'm a fat pig, and I just need to go on a diet....but he'll say it nicely...

campbellmom549
02-24-2008, 02:46 AM
[QUOTE=auburnchick;1068807]Why don't you reward yourself with a small knitting-related treat every week survive "Diet-Cokeless." Maybe one skein of a favorite yarn, or a new book of knitting techniques?

A little incentive is a great motivator!QUOTE]

I think that's a Great idea. In fact, I do something similar. I call it my Mommy Star Chart. I get one or two stars depending on how well I stick to my daily schedule (I watch two other kids plus my own, so a schedule is a must) and get things done around the house. And every ten stars I allow myself to spend a little money on something I want for myself. It's a really great system. And it would give you something to focus on other than not drinking sodas. Plus, if you slip up and have a coke one day, you can still feel good that you at least got a star for effort!

hocns
02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
A 12-pack of diet cokes is more soft drinks than I consume in a year. My sister drinks 2 2-litre bottles of diet pepsi a day, ugh. I can understand addiction, though. Mine is pasta and bread. Good luck.

There are LOTS of good alternate choices out there. When I was pregnant, I gave up all caffeine, and discovered Celestial seasonings teas. A lot of them are really really good, and can also be drunk cold with a bit of lemon. Also people mentioned carbonated water and fruit juice, that's also really good.

AnnArrogance
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Good for you, jdee! My husband and I cut out soda (we drank a ton of regular soda--Dr. Pepper and Sprite for me, Coke for him) completely about a year ago, and I immediately lost 8 pounds. Like, within 2 weeks. Now I'll let myself have one every once in a while when we go out for dinner as a treat (like 1-2 times a month), but that's it. We drink only water, Vitamin Water, and organic no-sugar-added fruit juice now. And the occasional Rooibos, Green, or Chamomile tea (which are naturally decaffeinated and high in antioxidants).

It's going to be hard at first--I didn't feel too many negative effects except mild cravings for Dr. Pepper, but my husband got it BAD. He was so addicted to the caffeine in his Coke that he actually got the DTs. He had headaches, mood swings, and even the shakes. BUT after a few days that was all gone. We both lost weight and feel a lot healthier--no energy dips an hour or so after having a soda.

It's definitely worth sticking it out. You are doing the right thing for your health, and I know you can do it and stick with it! If you do get a craving for something flavorful, try Vitamin Water (which does still have sugar and calories, so I try to limit myself to 1 every few of days), those Crystal Light or Emergen-C packets, or a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange juice every once in a while.

Good luck!

evona
02-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Emergen-C has B vitamins which will give you energy without all the sugar and caffeine. Its a good thing to have as a boost at that time of day when you most want to reach for a coke as a caffeine or sugar pick me up.

Don't be too down on yourself. You just gotta take one step at a time. Congratulate yourself for every step. If you don't feel good about your body right now try to limit looking at yourself in the mirror for a while . . . or stepping on a scale. Once you start feeling more healthy you'll notice that the way you think about yourself will improve. We tend to be so hard on ourselves. The most important thing is to be healthy. Life is just too short to spend looking in the mirror beating ourselves up. I mean, that could be time spent knitting!!!! :wink:

knitncook
02-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I suffered with migraines for years when I was drinking diet colas. Just thought it was how I was wired. Then I quit drinking diet colas. :whoosh: headaches went away. I can't eat anything with asparatame in it at all! I have to read every label. My health greatly improved after I quit drinking them. Good luck in this adventure and I hope it helps you as much as it helped me!

jdee
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, it's been a week with no cokes. I've gotten past the headache stage and I think I'm going to be ok. I've been drinking tons of water. The only time I miss having a coke is when we're out running errands or going out of town. That's when I used to get my Rt 44 sonic drink. I really miss that. Maybe I can treat myself with one of those flavored water drinks when I go out and about. I can't keep them at the house, because of my tendancy to go overboard with flavored drinks. I don't want to end up trading one bad habit for another.
Thank you all so much for your support. I was really bummed about this, but now I'm feeling a lot more positive.

auburnchick
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
:hug:

Good for you! Sounds like you are well on your way!

I would discourage you from getting a flavored drink. At least for a while. I have found that it is way too tempting to revert back into bad habits if I even let myself indulge a bit.

Anyhow, I'm so happy for you! :cheering:

jade1994
03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
oooo i dont think i could survive very long without my sugar rush i feel for you:muah:

bailsmom
03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
:yay: Congrats on getting through the first week, the first 2 are the toughest.

One thing about the flavoured water drinks: They have more calories in them than people realize. So read your labels before you buy it, and if you already know this, then just ignore me. :wink:

annomalley
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh, I know what you're going through. I was a hard core Mountain Dew addict, but kicked that habit, too. I probably consumed a 12 pack in one day, myself. I'm glad I did, because it really did a number on my teeth and I ended up spending big bucks to fix what my MD habit did to my teeth. I have an occasional soda, mainly root beer. Mostly I drink water now. I find soda too be to fizzy for my taste now.

Good for you on getting through your first week!!! :thumbsup: