PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Pay for Yarn?

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Hello all,
Since my goal for senior year seems to be to incorporate knitting into every class I take, I’ve convinced my statistics teacher that surveying knitters for our class project is an excellent plan. The idea is to find out how much knitters from knitting websites like knittinghelp usually spend on one skein/hank/ball of yarn and compare that to what the Craft Yarn Council of America says knitters in general usually spend. So, if you don’t mind, would you please fill it out? It should only take a couple minutes, and it’s all in the interest of education after all. Of course I’ll be posting the results when it’s done. Here’s the link and thanks so much!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dr592oNLkc_2bm2A3QZ3RQUg_3d_3d

evona
02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
A couple minutes?? That took like 3 seconds :rofl:

Glad to have helped! :thumbsup:

snowbear
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
It's just one quick question.. Good luck w/ stats.. took it in college.. I hope you survive it better than I did, lol I had nightmares for years. lol

Jan in CA
02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Done. It'll be interesting to see the results!

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Are you CRAAAAAZY? A couple of minutes? That took no time at all! Glad to have helped ya!

Knitting_Guy
02-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, I usually shoplift my yarn but I'll fill it out. :mrgreen:

knitgal
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Mike
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I wish there were enough sales that I could usually pay <$2.

Knit4Fun
02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Where's the question about what you ACTUALLY pay for yarn and what you tell your darling husband (or spouse or significant other...or pets - whatever the case may be!) you pay for yarn???

:roll:

Glad to have helped! Let us know the results...

gatorjade
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Glad to help!

tokmom
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Where's the question about what you ACTUALLY pay for yarn and what you tell your darling husband (or spouse or significant other...or pets - whatever the case may be!) you pay for yarn???

:roll:

Glad to have helped! Let us know the results...

I'm already guilty of that.:teehee:

Let us know the results. It will be interesting.

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
It's just one quick question.. Good luck w/ stats.. took it in college.. I hope you survive it better than I did, lol I had nightmares for years. lol

Stats is actually the only math class that I have EVER done well in! It's strange because there are a bunch of people in the class who have always been good at math are doing really badly in stats. Thanks for your help and good wishes.

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
I wish there were enough sales that I could usually pay <$2.

Yeah, same. And yet two people have said that they do!

diny0
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Most people hate stats. I am glad you are doing well in it. What an original idea to incorporate knitting into all of your classes. How are you doing it in your other classes?

Diane

Mike
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, same. And yet two people have said that they do!
I could see how it's possible. If I had a Hobby Lobby close enough to check weekly they often have 99Ę sales on selected yarns and clearances and not all of them are advertised.
My sister just picked me up some Moda Dea Lazy Daisy on clearance for about $1, I think it's normally $5. I had just told her to check the price for me.

GinnyG
02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I tried but it told me survey was currently closed :-(

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Most people hate stats. I am glad you are doing well in it. What an original idea to incorporate knitting into all of your classes. How are you doing it in your other classes?

Diane

I'm glad I'm doing well in it too, I got a D in pre calc last year, so hopefully this will make up for that a little...

As for my classes, Iíve done knitting for almost everything now. Admittedly Iím counting my science fair project from last year in which I knit a model of the digestive system. Unfortunately the likelihood that Iíll be able to knit for the science class Iím taking this year is pretty slim, the entire class has turned out to be a sham and everyone in it is constantly at war with this fairly terrible teacher theyíve given us. In English I wrote two essays on knitting, one of which I also submitted to colleges as my narrative essay. They're actually putting it in the school magazine and reading it in assembly this week, I didn't think it was that special, go figure. For Spanish Iíve done a bunch of presentations all about knitting, what I knit over the summer, what I planned to make over winter break, knitting in ScandinaviaÖ There have probably been more; Spanish tends to go by in a blur. History is tricky since weíre not given tons of opportunities to get creative and Iím not sure what Iíll do for that yet, but I bet Iíll be able to figure something out. My teacher has actually asked me to teach her how to knit, so maybe after I do Iíll be able to convince her to let me knit for class. In ceramics Iím making lots of little bowls for stitch markers and things. After school I help out making sets and props and costumes for the drama department and Iíve knit loads of bizarre things for them.

Thanks for taking the survey, it's greatly appreciated!

chesagrey
02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
yes, i just tried and it's still closed

chrislt8
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
yes, i just tried and it's still closed

Me too!

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Eek! Sorry! The website I’m using only allows 100 answers per survey and I didn’t realize I’d already hit 100. I just changed the link to a new one that should work. Sorry for the confusion.

Lisa R.
02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
I wish there were enough sales that I could usually pay <$2.Yeah, same. And yet two people have said that they do!

if you buy ribbon yarn or fun fur on sale at Michael's, it's usually $1/ball. (I learned a few weeks after learning to knit, and hitting one sale that it's not something you NEED to stock up on!!:rofl: )

Pagan Princess
02-25-2008, 01:31 AM
lol! Mason you made me laugh. Plus I have started to hide wool too. Took the survery. Very easy.

Jen17
02-25-2008, 01:43 AM
All Done! can't wait to see the results! Good luck this year..what is your degree in?

Jen:knitting:

Plantgoddess+
02-25-2008, 01:52 AM
I am one who answered at $2 or less. I'm still knitting off a 30 yr old stash and all I've bought since is KP Palette at $1.99 and Elann Esprit at about $1.60. I now have enough sock yarn for 12 more pair.

boo1
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
pun intended.

:mrgreen:

gingerbread
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Took your survey and glad to help you.:waving:

GinnyG
02-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I got in!
I will say it was a difficult question to answer........ I LOVE to buy "big ticket yarn" and have spent as much as $50.00 for a skein BUTTTTTT i also shop sales like crazy so my "average" would be much less.

knitncook
02-25-2008, 09:22 AM
So that is what that bizarre string of yarn robberies has been across the country.

woolylogic
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
if you buy ribbon yarn or fun fur on sale at Michael's, it's usually $1/ball. (I learned a few weeks after learning to knit, and hitting one sale that it's not something you NEED to stock up on!!:rofl: )

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not much of a ribbon/fun fur kind of person...

woolylogic
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
All Done! can't wait to see the results! Good luck this year..what is your degree in?

Jen:knitting:

Alas, no fancy degree, just high school.

nonny2t
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Now we know where the tie yarn came from!:rofl:

threesmom
02-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Alas, no fancy degree, just high school.

Wow - I may actually have LIKED high school math if I could have done something like this! Good luck, and let us know the results!

booskibabe
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I filled it out. Can't wait to see the results, and what a cool idea!

Sunshine's Mom
02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Done!

nitewyngs
02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
No problem. I took Biostatistics and know what it is like. But $2.00 yarn????????? What kind would this be?

woolylogic
02-25-2008, 11:34 PM
No problem. I took Biostatistics and know what it is like. But $2.00 yarn????????? What kind would this be?

Apparently some people get their yarn for less than $2, I was surprised too.

knitternut
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Can't wait to see the results.

Plantgoddess+
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
KnitPicks Palette merino sock yarn at $1.79-$1.99. Elann Esprit cotton sock yarn at about $1.50-$1.60 in bags of 10. Those are the ones I've purchased recently.

KnittinMitchie
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with. :) Where was knitting 10 yrs ago when I was a senior LOL

Mulderknitter
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I have to admit I was a bit scared to enter this thread, I thought it would be like "total what you spent in the last year" :zombie: But average? well, i chose the over 10$ because I like fancy silk lace weight. But I do also buy A LOT from knitpicks.com and they have GREAT PRICES. So just don't ask me to total ok????:roflhard:

chesagrey
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
i agree, i put down over $10 but for nice projects it's not worth it to pay less. that said for afghans i occasionally go "cheap". and i'm definitely a fan of close out sales. have gotten some great deals there. $14 dollar yans for $4 is terrific!

Kat

Mama Bear
02-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Fun poll!

I thought I would respond since some of you were wondering about what those of us who put $2 a skein in the poll knit with. Of course I can only speak for myself.

After I answered the poll I started to wonder if what I put was accurate, since I know I spend plenty on yarn! So I went and did a little test figuring.
It's hard to really be accurate without going through my entire stash, so I decided to simply go through the projects on my blog and see how much per skein I had spent on each project and then average it out. If a project used more than one kind of yarn, I averaged in each of the kinds of yarn in the project. I used 50 grams as my "skein size" for pricing sake.
While my average came very close to $2 a skein, my actual costs per skein were all over the board. I have everything from 11 cents a skein reclaimed yarns, to $8 - 20 a skein yarns bought on a wim when visiting a yarn store (I don't have a LYS). However, overall, I average about $2 a skein, since my cheap buys balance out my more expensive buys.
Someone asked what kinds of yarn someone who put $2 a skein average would knit with. The projects included in this average were knit with a wide variety of yarns, mostly natural fibers, although I do use acrylic for some charity projects that require them.
Some of the yarns include things like Karabella Aurora 8, Jaeger Matchmaker, pakucho organic cotton, and debbie bliss merino. All bought at less than 50% of retail cost. I mix in with that hand dyed sock yarns such as Socks That Rock and Angora Valley yarns, bought at full retail.
Buying from places like Sara's yarns (beautiful silk!), Elann's, littleknits, and other sales, and from people who have destashed really helps keep the price down.
Cones, from ebay, online shops, and a local supply of mill ends can bring price per 50 grams down well below $2. I generally can find cotton on the cone for $4 a pound. This works out to about 45 cents a 50 gram skein. I find silk in the $14 - $20 a pound range on cones sometimes, so that puts my silk in the $2 a skein range. Most of my cashmere comes from reclaimed sweaters, and since I generally pay 99 cents for most sweaters. although I'll sometimes pay $5 for a new condition cashmere sweater. Most sweaters are over 1 lb, so I figured them at 1 lb and that means those yarns come in between 11 and 55 cents per skein.
I can knit with beautiful yarns without breaking the bank, and still buy some favorite full price yarns while keeping my over all average price low. I mostly save the full price purchases for when I am out of town and visit a brick and mortar yarn store.

Mama Bear