PDA

View Full Version : What was your first FO- and how did it turn out?

Simply_Renee
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I am just curious how everyone started.

To answer my own- that garter stitch scarf is my first- (pretty typical I would think) other than lots of swatches that I don't count. It turned out fairly well but the stitches in the beginning were tighter- I learned continental about 1/3 of the way through. Nobody can really notice it- I used a cheapo varigated Red Heart yarn.

Do tell!

booskibabe
02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't count my actual first project because I used it mainly to practice my stitches. It was a basketweave scarf that was too wide and too short. I gave it to my sister, who likes it.
My "Real" first project was a stockinette poncho made out of Lion Brand Incredible (:heart: that stuff!) and size 19 needles.

saracidaltendencies
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Mine was the um...oh man, the name escapes me now! LOL! It was in the Stitch N Bitch book, the little head thing that's a triangle with the tie strings hanging off the corners...I'm having a total brain freeze right now and can't remember what they're called...But yeah, that was my first one...and it was too small for anyone to wear when I finished it...lol...However, it did turn out nicely despite being too small!

The.Knitter
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
My very first project was a little sweater jacket for my DS, who was two at the time (he's now 31). I have a picture of him in it, but it's a polaroid picture and not scanned into the computer. It was your standard stockinette stitch sweater with ribbing at cuffs and bottoms, garter stitch collar and a zipper down the front. It was knit with thick yarn and larger needles, so it knit up quickly. He looked so cute in it! It turned out very well because at the time I had a neighbour who knit and she walked me through the whole process. I miss having her next door!

Crycket
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
My first completed project...that I can remember...hmm I can't remember...must have been some sort of scarf...

I can remember struggling though a "jaunty" hat...you know...one of those extra long pointy hats you can swing around neck...it was red heart super saver something or other...

Sunshine's Mom
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical stockinette scarf for me. Turned out nice. I was really proud of myself. Thereafter, I believe I knitted everyone I know a scarf until I got so completely bored that I thought I'd strangle myself with one of them.

Moved onto hats when my mom had to go through chemo for breast cancer (she's completely better and healthier than ever!). Made lots of chemo caps and gave a bunch to the oncology center she went to. They were much loved and appreciated and I was so glad I did it.

Now, I'm an official sock-monster.

campbellmom549
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
My first fo was a beanie for my brother and I knitted "Panthers" into it for his high school team. I had to knit it twice. The first time, I carried the CC all the way around and it wouldn't stretch. There's a pic in my gallery. (Link below in my signature)

Newbie2Knitting
02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I made a hooded button-up sweater for a set of twin babies (one sweater for each). At the time I thought I did pretty well but looking back, sheesh. That should SO not have been a gift...

Gina V
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
My first FO was yesterday! I am taking a 6 week beginners knitting class and our first project was a simple dishcloth and I finished it yesterday! Just a little square but I was excited! The next project is a baby sweater so I'm hoping we start that in out next class on Thursday night.

kellee0302
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I can not even remember but I do know it had to be something big. I never start with something small so it was either a sweater I knitted for my mother for Xmas or the blanket I made for my dad. Both actually came out pretty well for being a beginner at the time.

boo1
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Rather plain, alterating k and p rows at random because I accidentally got off pattern, and some other errors I was able to hide.

Never did wear it.

knit2btied
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
My first was a pair of granny slippers knitted in rug yarn. They fit well, but I hated them because of the thick yarn being to hard on the feet to stand on. (All those little perl bumps against my sole!)

Jax3303
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
My first project that I finished was a very simple, very basic top down raglan newborn baby cardigan. I used cheap red hard baby acrylic. for my first FO I think it turned out pretty well, especially when you consider that I knit it at 3 weeks post partum. http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/AnjaKnits/?action=view&current=morganssweater.jpg

susi
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
My first project that I finished was a very simple, very basic top down raglan newborn baby cardigan. I used cheap red hard baby acrylic. for my first FO I think it turned out pretty well, especially when you consider that I knit it at 3 weeks post partum. http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/AnjaKnits/?action=view&current=morganssweater.jpg

wow how good is your first project. i would love for mine to have looked that good lol.

mine was terrible, i actually binned it straight after as it was shocking lol. i wasnt to hot at reading the patterns or following them. cocky and thought i could alter them first attempt. wow i learnt fast that was a dumn idea lol. think it was actually the pattern i am doing right now, a really basic hoodie for my son. he was nearly 3 when i started making it, now hes 5 in may and im doing it again. it still looks great though

susi

Mike
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
A stocking cap with a 1x1 rib. It came out shaped like a pith helmet. It works, but now that it's softened up it's needs an insert to hold the brim's shape.
The reason for the wrong shape is too tight of a cast on and a gauge that got looser as I went.

nonny2t
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I learned to knit as a jr higher in 4H, which was {{{mumble, mumble, mumble,}}} was 41 years ago and our project was a pair of slippers. I did ok, but had some trouble as I am left handed and had to be taught that way by a right handed teacher. Let's just say I could wear them, but didn't win a ribbon.

Koehnae
02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I jumped into knitting with my usual overconfident gusto... and it failed miserably. I was working on a pretty, lace patterned sweater. Even with measuring, my pieces came out all different shapes and sizes and didn't match up. The collar was too tight and the waistband was too loose. Snags and uneven stitches completed the picture. I never even finished the sleeves. It led to me putting aside my knitting needles for a few years, because I got so frustrated.

I came back to knitting about 10 years ago with a simple scarf pattern and I've tried to learn at least one new stitch or technique a month since. I'm still learning and I now love knitting more than any other of my hobbies.

lucky_alf2
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Mine was a double moss stitch baby blanket -- it was huge and done on small needles -- it took me FOREVER to finish! I bought the supplies without even knowing how to knit.....I just wanted to make something handmade for my sister's baby. It turned out quite lovely.

threesmom
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I think the first thing that actually made it to finished status was bulky sweater for my then 1.5 year old dd. It was a little stiff - I think it could stand on its own! - but she wore it a few times. I was just excited it actually fit!

rachejm
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
I did a garter stitch scarf in fun fur, because my nan bought it for me and I just had to use it! It turned out a little holey because i kept picking up stitches from the row below but its fun fur so no1 knows! I think there is a pick somewhere in my blog archives.

Plantgoddess+
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
A sweater for me of worsted weight wool that I still wear 30 years later. It was pretty basic, no ribbing and a 2 row pattern, k 1 row and k1,p1 for 1 row. Ther pattern had no finished neckline and I didn't like that so I crocheted a turtleneck onto it.

Indygirl
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
My first was a pair of slippers. I still have them too. That was 6 years ago. I still wear them from time to time just for the fun of it. They sure don't feel as comfy as my clogs though. I should post a picture :teehee:

tmav113
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
My first FO was an attempt at a Gryffindor scarf, as making yummy Gryffindor scarves was the reason I wanted to learn how to knit in the first place.

I still have it and it's HIDEOUS. :) The colors are all wrong; instead of gold, I used a bright yellow. I also insisted on knitting it flat...in stockinette...even though it curled...because I saw blocked swatches of stockinette knitting in the store and figured I could just block the whole thing flat. How original of me; I'm sure no one tried THAT before! Oh...and I did I mention I knit it in acrylic? Which, of course, doesn't block? Oh...and did I mention I tried to block it anyway? With an iron??

:)

remclave
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
My first knitting project ever was this afghan called the Pride of Ireland (http://craftingenclave.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html). If you click the link you will find it near the bottom of the page.

Mulderknitter
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
My first knitting project ever was this afghan called the Pride of Ireland (http://craftingenclave.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html). If you click the link you will find it near the bottom of the page.
Holy cow! great job for a first project! I knit a bunch of garter stitch scarves, then moved on to a square (baby blanket) but my first atempt at a pattern was socks. They turned out looking like elf slippers. :zombie: Totally fine until I decreased from the heel to the toe without doing a gusset or anything. oops:hair:

treehugger14
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Mine was also a garter st. scarf. lol. using white yarn, that i got to do a harder project once i trained up a bit. I was ready to do all sorts of stuff before i even learned how. lol. but i didn't, and i've still never done it yet...lol. BUt my other first, like Pattern FO, is a basket weave blanket. twas really easy on 13 needles. using light blue yarn which was red heart, like most of my other yarn lol.

DQ
02-27-2008, 05:58 AM
My first FO was a garter stitch scarf from a kit that my mum bought me whilst we were on holiday :mrgreen: I love the colours of the yarn :heart:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/1808284740_5f9971f333_o.jpg

bethany
02-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I did a garter stitch skinny scarf for my DD, who was--8 months old. She loves it!! It does the "U" thing because my BO is too tight...I LOVE my first crappy projects. Learned so much, and love seeing them around still! It was Homespun too and my DD can pick the correct color out while it's in the skein at the store--"That's like my scarf!!"

sakura-panda
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I did a scarf and dishcloth at the same time, using the same pattern. I learned to knit on the scarf, but then I did the dishcloth so that I could practice binding off without making a mess of my scarf (it did take me two attempts to figure it out, so I was glad I did that.) The stitch is called "5 by 5" in the Vogue Knitting book. (Something like that; that might not be the exact name.)

I'm currenty working on WIP #3, another scarf, same as the first one. My thought is for the kids to have the same scarf (different colors) so that DS could compare and not think DD got a better one and also that it would be quicker to do if I didn't have to learn a new pattern.

My next project will be either socks or a an outfit for DD's doll. I haven't decided yet.

I really want to make DD a sweater/cardigan -- I have one she is outgrowing that I can use for a pattern -- but I don't feel my abilities are there yet. Maybe I should take a picture of it and get the opinion of the experts here. It's primarily a stockinette with some lacey edges on the sleeves and along the bottom.

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Hmmmm, my first ever project was a red 2x2 ribbed scarf but I guess it doesn't count because I never did actually finish it. My first actual finished project was a pair of house socks done following Silver's sock class.

lelvsdgs
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
My first finished object was a baby sweater that I made back in high school (1975?) I still have it somewhere and did use it for my daughter in 1989 after she was born. Wow, that was a loooong time ago. It actually turned out well.

bets
02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
My first project was Barbie doll clothes - around 40+ years ago. I still have them and they turned out great! I was around 11 or 12 years old at the time.