PDA

View Full Version : My LYS Visit

Knitting_Guy
03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I took a cab to the closest LYS today. I have to say I was disappointed when I got there. A $25 cab ride took me to a place that was very disorganized and mostly had the same acrylic yarns you could find at any Hobby Lobby.

I did spend some time looking around and talking to the ladies who were hanging out there knitting socks (they were ALL knitting socks) and did have a pretty good time there.

I found a large ball of sport weight Alpaca yarn (1 lb) in a dark charcoal gray color and bought it. At $42 + tax it seemed a bit high to me but I liked it so I got it anyway.

It took me over an hour to get out of the place once I had made my purchase. The ladies seemed to want to talk and talk and talk... I showed them the projects I had in my backpack, the cabled tie and a hat I really need to finish. They seemed truly excited that this big bearded guy in a cowboy hat was knitting stuff LOL.

I didn't want to be rude so I chatted with them for a good while, all the time expressing the fact that I hadn't yet eaten and really wanted to go find something for lunch. I didn't think I'd ever get out of there. LOL

While I had a good time there I was disappointed that they didn't have any better yarns there. The lady who runs the place told me they special order the better yarns because they just don't have a lot of demand for them.

They also didn't have much in the way of a book selection. I didn't see any books there that I wanted.

Oh well, it was fun anyway and now I have a whole pound of alpaca yarn to play with. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but I have it :rofl:

ecb
03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
A $25 cab ride took me to a place that was very disorganized and mostly had the same acrylic yarns you could find at any Hobby Lobby.

I found a large ball of sport weight Alpaca yarn (1 lb) in a dark charcoal gray color and bought it. At $42 + tax it seemed a bit high to me but I liked it so I got it anyway.

They seemed truly excited that this big bearded guy in a cowboy hat was knitting stuff LOL.

I didn't want to be rude so I chatted with them for a good while. I didn't think I'd ever get out of there. LOL

The lady who runs the place told me they special order the better yarns.

Oh well, it was fun anyway and now I have a whole pound of alpaca yarn to play with. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but I have it :rofl:

at least you got some cool yarn, soft yarn, I hope YUMMY yarn.
also
at least she is willing to order the good stuff

enjoy the Yarn, what you gonna make with it? a whole # can make Quite a Scarf, Hat combination

ecb

suzeeq
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
That's enough for a nice shawl for someone. Alpaca, mmmmmm......

lmsloman
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
When I went to my LYS recently, they treated me like I had 3 heads....no patience for noobs like me I guess.

All I wanted them to help me with was finding a specific yarn to make this scarf....not solve the theory of evolution!!

geez!

Lisa R.
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
When I went to my LYS recently, they treated me like I had 3 heads....no patience for noobs like me I guess.

All I wanted them to help me with was finding a specific yarn to make this scarf....not solve the theory of evolution!!

geez!

Aw, I'm sorry you were treated badly. I like to go to my LYS, but I really can't afford to shop there. When I go, however, they always treat me nicely and offer to help find yarns or patterns or books. I just feel guilty because I can't afford $100 of yarn!

lmsloman
03-01-2008, 11:02 PM
They were just stuck up old ladies. I won't go there again.

I think I'm going to buy all my yarn online from now on....since that was my closest LYS within 40 miles!

ecb
03-01-2008, 11:27 PM
They were just stuck up old ladies. I won't go there again.

I think I'm going to buy all my yarn online from now on....since that was my closest LYS within 40 miles!
I M so sorry
I have a place like that, they even started a rumor that a different LYS is closing, this Rumor even made it to Rav. The owner of the one thats closing was laughing about it, but I find so much negative about the nasty store.
They even locked the door a few min before closingtime once when my BiL was trying to run in to get a gift certificate for his wife (my Sister)
I M much luckier than you, I have 3 to choose from, 2 I choose, one I dont

snowbear
03-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Mason, I'm glad you were able to see something positive out of the situation. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I've tried several different lys, but I've finally found one I love. It's a bit further, but the owner goes out of her way to answer questions, and go the extra mile.

There are some wonderful lys, and some that aren't.

Mason.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your truck will be fully functional by Monday at 9:00 am.

I'm sending good thoughts to your truck!

bambi
03-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Gosh, I have a great LYS with really nice people, a good selection of needles and helpful. I haven't priced their yarns b/c I'm afraid to look. BUT I never have a day to go. My mom's days out are filled with icky errands. ((sigh)) Now I feel REALLY bad that I can't get there.

Mason, I had a good laugh about your story! If you are ever in Savannah, I will direct you to our really great LYS (Wild Fibre).

Bambi

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2008, 12:12 AM

geez!

Wow, that's a bummer. To be honest I kind of expected to be treated that way when I went in this shop but they didn't bat an eye when I made it clear I was looking for yarn for myself.

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Mason, I'm glad you were able to see something positive out of the situation. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I've tried several different lys, but I've finally found one I love. It's a bit further, but the owner goes out of her way to answer questions, and go the extra mile.

There are some wonderful lys, and some that aren't.

Mason.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your truck will be fully functional by Monday at 9:00 am.

I'm sending good thoughts to your truck!

Thanks. I had a good time there despite the obvious disappointment over the lack of quality selection. I'm hoping the truck will be ready to go Monday but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime I'm trying to decide what to do with a pound of sport weight alpaca yarn. :mrgreen:

Debkcs
03-02-2008, 05:15 AM
You must have really made the owner's day, Mason, buying that alpaca.

Isn't it the worst, having to sit and wait for them to repair your truck? One of the companies I worked for (very short time!) wouldn't pay you while waiting, just voucher meals.

I think you should make a shawl with the yarn, maybe a real simple yarn over type, letting the alpaca 'speak for itself'.

Plantgoddess+
03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking that a lb. of yarn is about 8-9 50g skeins. Maybe a henley style short sleeve sweater or some socks to go with all the hats you make. I love the feel of alpaca.
It's too bad your trip wasn't more fruitful but at least it killed some time. Hope you're on the road again soon.

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Someone suggested making a vest with it. Being as it's sport weight I'm not sure if there's enough to do that. Any thoughts?

Plantgoddess+
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Well a 50g skein is about 1.75 oz. That would be about 9 skeins in that 1lb ball of yarn. Without knowing what size you wear or what vest pattern might appeal to you, I guess I would do a little surfing and see what men's vest patterns call for in yardage in a sport weight. It seems offhand that that should be enough.

KnittingNat
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm glad you had fun while waiting for your truck to be repaired. you can get some cheaper sport-weight yarn, a few skeins in contrasting colors and make a fairisle vest.

suzeeq
03-02-2008, 11:25 AM
50gms of sport weight should be about 110 yds, so you would have around 1000 yards, give or take a few yards.

Knit4Fun
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, at least you got some great yarn PLUS it's always interesting to talk to other knitters...maybe not for hours at a stretch when you are hungry...lol...but it's cool to see what other knitters are making.

We've got a couple LYS stores out here and although I've only been to two, I have to say that I vastly prefer A.C. Moore and Michael's (and JoAnn's too but our JoAnn's is teeny tiny with very little selection compared to most others it seems) to these LYS's.

The first LYS I went to had a back room where it seems the staff (I think) were all sitting and talking (not knitting though) and although one finally came out to say hello after I'd been there about 10-15 minutes, they weren't super friendly AND the yarn was all at least $15-20 per skein which as a new knitter didn't interest me (although now it is starting to, darn it).

The second LYS I went to had a group of women knitting at a table and chatting (including at least one staffperson) and although the selection was better and more affordable, it wasn't until I was walking out that the lady asked if she could help me.

Oh well...you never know why people are the way they are - just makes me appreciate the bigger stores more!

Plantgoddess+
03-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I had a small retail business selling perennials for a number of years. I found some customers dislike having a clerk come up and ask if they want assistance. I think they may feel more pressure to purchase. Others want someone to walk around with them and help them pick out and decide what they need. I tend to like to just wander around and see what's there and then find someone to help me if I need assistance. I think yarn stores may be a lot like antique stores, most people are just looking. Just my opinion, but try not to take offense at the 1st visit, if they don't want to assist when asked then I would move on.

Jan in CA
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Here's a site that tells appx how many yards you'd need for various items.
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

I kind of wish my LYS did sell something other than the higher end yarns so I could buy more from them. I've never heard of one that sold so much of it though.

I'm glad you had a good time. I am one of those women sitting around knitting at my LYS and we do chat up the people who come over and talk to us. :lol:

auburnchick
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh Mason, I feel your pain. During Christmas, I was visiting my sister and mil, and I insisted we all go to their yarn store since I don't have a real one close to me.

After driving at least 45 minutes to find the place (despite googling the directions), I finally found it...in a bad section of town (I understand that the rent is probably cheaper). It was so tiny, and although I saw a couple of name brands I've only seen online, there really wasn't much to choose from. I left empty-handed and sad.

It does sound like you got yourself some nice yarn though. The ladies are probably still talking about your visit. I'm sure they don't see truckers walk through that place very often.

:)

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm sure they don't see truckers walk through that place very often.

:)

I'm sure they don't. :mrgreen:

hocns
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
To only special order decent yarns is sort of self-defeating. There are still many people who have no on-line access who haven't got a clue what's out there; if all they see at their yarn shop is walmart yarn, then they will never want anything better. I know people with very little money who still buy only decent quality yarn, because it's worth it in the long run. Also, there's nothing quite like squeezing and smelling a gorgeous yarn to make you want to buy it. Seeing a picture online or a sample in a book is not the same thing.

It also kills me when yarn stores carry only super expensive stuff. There is a vast range of yarn out there, and just like there can be good and bad acrylics, and good and bad wools, there is also affordable good quality stuff out there. There is also horrible, super-expensive garbage, and the price on the yarn is no guarantee of the quality.

lelvsdgs
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I didn't think I'd ever get out of there. LOL
You're lucky they didn't tie you up and keep you there as a hostage. I bet they talked about you forever after you left. I bet you made their day! :)

McKnitty
03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
My LYS is awesome! They are so friendly and so helpful, but I have been to another yarn shop that wasn't. The employees and the customers were so snooty (not sure whether to put snooty or snotty).

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
You're lucky they didn't tie you up and keep you there as a hostage. I bet they talked about you forever after you left. I bet you made their day! :)

:roflhard:

fibrenut
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Aww, com'on Mason, ya'll can't tell me you didn't enjoy being the center of attention of a bunch of women:roflhard: :whistle:

marlajap
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Mason - I did a little math, being quite an alapaca fan myself, what with my sheep-wool allergy and all. So - your $42 pound of sport weight alpaca, if it actually knits up at sport weight, is probably 998 yards or so, and nets out to about 4.2 cents per yard. That's a low-end of average price for pure alpaca yarn. :)

As for LYS with crummy inventory and/or snooty people, y'all need to come on down to Nashville. All of the LYS I've been in here in the Music City area run the gamut of price range, fiber type and generally have a decent inventory of colors, etc. I will say that all of the stores are...ummmm....wool-rich, shall we say, but there's plenty of alpaca, some llama, a little bit of acrylic here and there, and much cotton, silk, etc., for me to drool on. :-)

Regards,

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Aww, com'on Mason, ya'll can't tell me you didn't enjoy being the center of attention of a bunch of women:roflhard: :whistle:

I never said it wasn't fun :mrgreen:

lactosefree
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Mason,

If you're still interested in making a vest, there is a free pattern on Ravelry that uses sport weight alpaca yarn. It's called the 'dad vest'.. here is the short blurb about it:

"I wrote this pattern in one size as a gift, and am offering it as a free pdf for your personal use only. I used Grignasco Tango, which is identical (in every way) to Rowan Felted Tweed. There are tips for re-sizing it from 38 to 50. The size 44 chest took exactly 894 yards (under 5 skeins), see the ravelry entry here. Please let me know if you find errors, and I will revise the pattern. Happy New Year!"

Here is the link to a picture of the vest:
http://mindofwinter.prettyposies.com/archives/cat_dad_vest.html

The link to the pattern itself through her website doesn't work, but the pattern is a free ravelry download if you have an account with them. If you don't and would like the pdf i can send it along.

psipsina
03-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I was recently out of town and excited to explore a big city's yarn shops and was shocked at how unhelpful a few of them were. It seems bizzare to me that a small shop wouldn't realize that customer service is soooo important. One store had yarn I liked at a good price but the person was so unhelpful that I walked out and bough my yarn somewhere else. I found a wonderful shop and came home with a suitcase brimming with new projects eventually but I still can't get over some of those shops!! I know many other knitters who pick their shops based on how helpful the sales people are so I know I'm not alone in this.

Knitting_Guy
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I was recently out of town and excited to explore a big city's yarn shops and was shocked at how unhelpful a few of them were. It seems bizzare to me that a small shop wouldn't realize that customer service is soooo important. One store had yarn I liked at a good price but the person was so unhelpful that I walked out and bough my yarn somewhere else. I found a wonderful shop and came home with a suitcase brimming with new projects eventually but I still can't get over some of those shops!! I know many other knitters who pick their shops based on how helpful the sales people are so I know I'm not alone in this.

That's probably why some fail while others prosper. In a LYS service is everything.

Stonington
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Mason, It sounds like you had a grand time though (hunger aside) - knitters are the best aren't they?
I love my LYS - Korner Knitters (plug, shameless plug)! the folks there are fantastic. Helpful not pushy... great selection (too great lol) The store is cozy but well organized. They are Always anxious to find out what you are looking for and if they do not have it - they will try to get it for you. Fantastic! Thank you ladies :)

anne
sebago, me

Arielluria
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Mason, you seem to have a new blog now? I still have your blogspot one linked on my own blog.........which should I link to????????

Knitting_Guy
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Mason, you seem to have a new blog now? I still have your blogspot one linked on my own blog.........which should I link to????????

No it isn't a new blog, it's actually my older general use blog. The blogspot one is my knitting related blog.

Knitting_Guy
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Mason, It sounds like you had a grand time though (hunger aside) - knitters are the best aren't they?
I love my LYS - Korner Knitters (plug, shameless plug)! the folks there are fantastic. Helpful not pushy... great selection (too great lol) The store is cozy but well organized. They are Always anxious to find out what you are looking for and if they do not have it - they will try to get it for you. Fantastic! Thank you ladies :)

anne
sebago, me

Yeah it was fun.

SabrinaJL
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I feel for ya, Mason. Once I drove 85 miles to go to a yarn store, only to find that it was pretty much run out of the living room of someone's house. Not a whole lot of selection, but it was actually better than the one I drove 120 miles to check out. That one was an actual store, but it was more of a needlepoint store. The yarn was in a tiny back room and consisted mostly of acrylic and novelty yarn.

Yes, I totally lived in the middle of nowhere. I live in San Diego now, and while I really don't dig big city life, at least I have multiple yarn stores to choose from.