PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Lacy tank top

Ilove2knit
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I've designed this tank top myself, and it's almost done. It's turning out almost exactly how I imagined it. I bought a cotton sweater at a thrift shop for 3 dollars, and I've used less than half of the yarn from it. The last picture in the link didn't turn out so well; something's wrong with my camera. But you'll get the general idea.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbsnLly2asWLF-A

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow! That'll be nice! Good work!

Suziblues
03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
THAT is amazing! Very nice work. It's gonna be really pretty.

astonh
03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
wow... that is looking fantastic. WTG! can't wait to see it finished.

Janiegirl
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow, that's beautiful! I love the color of it, and the laciness is so nice!

Abbily
03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
That's beautiful! Nice job!

mare-nitt
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, I love it. Could it be knit on circulars also? How do you design a pattern yourself, it looks wonderful, good job. (I am lucky if I can knit a pattern I buy and have it turn out wearable!:wink: )

Ilove2knit
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
It could be knit on circulars; I just haven't gotten the hang of that yet. I tried it once, did one round and switched back to my dpns. I'm much faster with my dpns.
I did a lot of math to design it. First I took my measurements, every single one I could think of, then I drew a scale drawing of my upper body. Then I swatched with the yarn, and the three sizes of needles I've used on this project. Then I did more math. I have had to do some frogging, when I had reached the bust area, and didn't like the way the increases looked. I tried it on for the first time last night, and it's fitting perfectly! I just have to finish the shoulder straps, and it'll be done. I'll be sure to post pics when it's finished.

Doublereeder2
03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Really cute!! Can't wait to see it all finished.

scout52
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
i really love it and i adore adore the color.

dustinac
03-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Very cute and I love the color :happydance:

WandaT
03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Great job! Beautiful color too - can't wait to see it on you!

Debkcs
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Very nice, I'd never have thought of doing it that way. Are you using a lot of short rows for shaping?

Looking at your atavar, you must be one very organized mom to have time to knit with those three adorable kids.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece~

GiddyKnitter
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
It's looking really pretty x

Jaxhil
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Christine, that is GORGEOUS!! I love the color-how great that you not only designed it (and are knitting it beautifully!) but you go such a fantastic deal on the yarn too :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it finished!

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Very nice indeed!!!!

Ilove2knit
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I finished it tonight, but my camera isn't working. Phooey. Well, I'll post a picture of the finished product when dh brings his camera home from work. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I did use some short rows to shape the top part of the bust. I started with basic increases (kf&b) and then added short row decreases. Then I still had to do some basic decreases (k2tog and skp) to make the shaping work out.

Jen17
03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
:woohoo: Wow, I'm impressed! It is a beautiful sweater, I can't wait to see it when it is finished!
Do you think you will write up the pattern for different sizes when you are done? I'd love to make one for my daughter and would be happy to pay you for the pattern..you could go into business!

Jen:knitting:

Ilove2knit
03-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I've never written a pattern before...and I did think of it when I started making this. I kept great notes, until I got to the bust shaping. Then I found that when I stopped to write down what I had just done, I'd get confused and make mistakes on the next part. And of course, the shaping was meant to fit my body; since it's so fitted, I don't know how well it would fit someone else anyway. If you want, I could explain how I did the math...it wasn't hard, just very involved. :)