PDA

View Full Version : I hate picking up stitches !!

vaknitter
03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I've been sitting around finding every reason in the world NOT to pick-up stitches and finish my second helmet liner. The first one I had to rework the ribbing around the face 3 times before I was happy with it. I think I have second sock syndrome......... I really need to get it done as it is for a lady at work (her son-in-law) was deployed. She is going to try to crochet one to send along for him to share with another soldier and she is waiting for me to give her the remainder of this ball of yarn to finish hers....
I must pick-up stitches, I must pick-up stitches, I must pick-up stitches

suzeeq
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM
It may go easier for you if you use a smaller needle to pick them up with....

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Or try a crochet hook...

Abbily
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I always use a crochet hook- so much easier!

Louine
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Audi turbo has a circular needle that has a crochet hook on one end and a knitting needle on the other....it are sometimes hard to find but I really like to use it to pick up stitches with the crochet end and then knit them off the other end......good luck

GrandmaLori
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I would love to get a Circular needle with a crochet hook on one end! Anybody know where to buy this?

vaknitter
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions - it seems my problem is more that I tend to twist the stitches or end up with holes. Most of the patterns I use that call for picking up stitches (clogs and bags) are felted so twisted stitches and holes are of no consequence really. These helmet liners though...
Okay - I promised to do it tonight :poke:

suzeeq
03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Twisting sts is sometimes advised even when not felting, so they'll be smaller and tighter than regular sts.

Plantgoddess+
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
As far as the holes go, a suggestion I got from someone here is to not worry how many stitches the pattern calls for you to pick up. If you need to pick up more in order to not have holes and gaps then do so and then decrease back down to the required number of stitches in the pattern. It's generally not more than a couple of extra stitches when I do socks and it only takes a couple of rounds to decrease them back off again.

SouthDakotaNana
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry if this question has already been asked...but I see in this thread that several of you pick up stitches with a crochet hook...is this as easy as I think it sounds...do you just insert the hook and pull the thread thru and place the loop on your needle? I don't mind picking up stitches...but I am SO SLOW at it...this may be a wonderful tip for me...thanks so much.

knit2btied
03-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Sorry if this question has already been asked...but I see in this thread that several of you pick up stitches with a crochet hook...is this as easy as I think it sounds...do you just insert the hook and pull the thread thru and place the loop on your needle? I don't mind picking up stitches...but I am SO SLOW at it...this may be a wonderful tip for me...thanks so much.

It can be done, but I don't. I prefer to use the knitting needles. I don't like juggling the hook with two needles. (I did try it once)

lynn893
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Have you watched the video regarding picking up stitches! It's fantastic! And once you see where you should pick them up, you'll wonder why you had such a hard time before! (I know the video really helped me out!) http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
scroll down to the 'picking up stitches' video (almost at the bottom of the page)

Good luck