PDA

View Full Version : Crown of hat - decreasing question

psipsina
03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of making my very first hat pattern and I have a question. I have a pattern for the basic shape of the hat I want to do but I want to add a cable pattern into it (and a brim but thats a different dilemma lol). I'm deciding which cable to do and want to know how to approach adding in the decreases. Eventually the decreases will have to interrupt the cables (I'm going to keep them in the background stiches for as long as possible) and I'm wondering what I can do to make that part of the hat pretty? Should I just switch to all knit?? Thanks and sorry if this is a silly N00B question lol.

labeelady
03-07-2008, 08:29 AM
How many stitches between your cables? Could you decrease there? Or decrease the number of stitches in the cables?

suzeeq
03-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Start out with about 4 or more purl sts between the cables and decrease there. That ought to give you at least 3 decrease rounds. Also, with cables you don't cross on every row, but every 4th, 6th or 8th one, depending on the pattern. So you could work it so the last cable cross would be when you have 1 purl st between them, then the very top of the hat would be in rib or stockinette where you could do k2tog.