PDA

View Full Version : I am a horrible crocheter!

knitpurlgurl
03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I am trying to teach myself to crochet... no classes in immediate area to take. I somehow keep decreasing... What am I doing? I am so frustrated. To top it of, I bought a video, "Crochet Stitches in Motion" from JoAnn's. It's HORRIBLE!! :hair: I have learned absolutely nothing from it! :waah:

wildirish
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
The easiest "mistake" to do that is by either forgetting to chain at the turn of row, or missing the last stitch on row before turning.

Tammy

Mike
03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Probably missing the last stitch. That's the problem I've had, especially with HDC, and the problem my great niece has.

I use a marker (safety pin) to make sure I carry that last stitch up.

Natrasha
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I agree with the others: you're probably not working into that last stitch, because it just does not look like a stitch.
Keep at it and you'll get it eventually. I think I made umpteen triangular washcloths before I figured out which stitch I was overlooking at the end of the row.
Counting your stitches in crochet is helpful, too.

knitpurlgurl
03-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I agree with the others: you're probably not working into that last stitch, because it just does not look like a stitch.
Keep at it and you'll get it eventually. I think I made umpteen triangular washcloths before I figured out which stitch I was overlooking at the end of the row.
Counting your stitches in crochet is helpful, too.

I think it MUST be the last stitch - I have not forgotten to chain a stitch at the end of the sc. It must just be that the last stitch doesn't look like a stitch to an inexperienced crocheter.

wildirish
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I know when I was learning I sure came out with soem funky shapes too LOL! My sister always forgot the first chain and skip stitch so added stitches instead of losing them LOL!

aztec_judy
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
your NOT horriable at allllllll .. lol just like the rest of us when we started .. yepperssss its normal really it is ..
it seems either the first stitch of a row or the very last stitch of a row just does NOT appear to be a stitch at all and we all accidently do NOT stitch into it .. so your doing great !!!!!!

and counting the rows as you go does help you really ..

also if ya buy the book : I Taught Myself Crochet ... that will help ya out too, neat book ..

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 10:46 AM
For practicing, try using a larger hook than you've got now, go up a couple sizes. That ought to make the sts large enough tha you can see that last one. Also, don't twist it, twist your hook when you turn to work another row, it should look like a chain.

lacalagirl
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I taught myself last night the single crochet (sc) :woot: and on my first attempt I did find that I missed that last stitch on the row. :gah:

I used the basic crochet instructions on www.learntoknit.com combined with some really good videos on www.youtube.com (search for 'askauntesther'). I found the first video great but stopped the second video just before she turned to do the next stitch type, I might brave the third video when I've got a real grip of the first two!

I have so far managed to crochet about 8 rows without decreasing or getting in a muddle.:woot:

Just remember it is meant to be relaxing, and it wasn't easy learning to knit but we got there in the end. :knitting:

Good Luck!!

Rachel

KniftyKnitterGal
03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Or you could be accidentaly crocheting in two stitches at once, it happens.

mathwizard
03-24-2008, 07:35 AM
You should try the videos at www.nexstitch.com (http://www.nexstitch.com)
and
www.coatsandclark.com (http://www.coatsandclark.com)

They are good and free! Another place is
www.hassdesign.com (http://www.hassdesign.com)

good videos but no sound. Good luck and there is lots of free hlp here.

cheley
03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Keep in mind that "crochet" is different than "knitting", so If you knit then try to learn crochet is can be (I think) difficult, only because I did "crochet" first then tried knitting (which I like better) here's a tut maybe it will help
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/slippers.php

aineepooh1
03-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I also think looking at different books and mags helps you see the stitches better. I know (for me) I have to sometimes see something over and over (by different people) before I finally have that A-Ha moment~!:aww: Hang in there... it is worth it!

Northknitter
04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Youtube has great crochet videos....I also am a beginner....just did a dishcloth and now want to start the granny square.
Purlbee...........have you checked out her Granny Squares.

BonnieBj
04-18-2008, 06:36 PM
If you can learn to follow the instructions in a book, which you're going to have to do anyway in order to make projects, get "Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet" and you'll find the illustrations in it will be most helpful. Very clear. One of the best books around. Good luck.

salos
04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
All my early rectangles did this. When in doubt, I count my stitches before I go to the next row. Hope this helps.

BTW, you don't have this problem with granny squares.

margz3
05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
LOL, I feel the same way! I "know how" to crochet (basic stitches) but always seem to either lose or add stitches (I HATE to count!) I made a baby blanket a few months ago that came out shaped like an hour glass....... now the cat's blanket!