PDA

View Full Version : Crate Training a Puppy - Link to Pics Added

flea
03-12-2008, 01:44 AM
My husband and I have a full grown dog who was crate trained initially to help her get housetrained. She's graduated to not being in the crate anymore (she only spent a few months being crated anyway and is now 2 years old). We're talking about getting a new puppy next week and I was wondering if it would be detrimental to use a crate to train the new puppy while our Bodie isn't crated.

Any opinions or experience you wonderful dog ownin' folks can offer?

www.fleatopia.com/galleries/domibodi/ (http://www.fleatopia.com/galleries/domibodi/)

Ronda
03-12-2008, 07:42 AM
I crate trained all my dogs. I highly recommend it, and the only "tip" I have is to make sure that the crate "fits" the puppy. You don't want the crate too big, or the dog will do his business in the crate and then walk/roll through it. Ask me how I know! LOL The dog only needs enough room to lie down, stand up, turn around, and lie down again.
With my last pup, I kept her in the crate whenever I couldn't watch her. I didn't really give her an opportunity to have an accident in the house. I work from home, so a lot of times she was on her bed next to me on the floor. I used a leash to keep her from wandering around. She's a good dog and doesn't do anything in the house. She doesn't chew up anything or have accidents! We still have the crate though, but it's a little bigger now. She goes in when are leaving the house for extended periods of time. When we leave for just a couple hours, we let her stay out. She actually walks in the crate on her own sometimes!

Ronda
03-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh, and PLEASE post puppy pictures! I need my puppy fix now and then! (My dog is 3 years old.)

flea
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input!

And of course, once we've gotten her home I'll post lots and lots of puppy pics. I'm a digital camera lovin' fool.

saracidaltendencies
03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Ronda pretty much covered all the bases...lol...I totally agree with crate training the new puppy as well...We did that when we got our Mastiff and though we have another dog as well, the crate training was not a problem. She had a couple accidents when she was a little puppy (one of which ended up with us having to tear up the carpet and get a new floor put in...lol), but, she quickly learned to go outside to do her thing. And, she never went in her crate!

vaknitter
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
We crate trained our new puppers while our old fart wasn't crated. He would just lay in the room with her. Of course, I have been told I am not a traditional crate trainer...I did not use the crate while I was home after the first week. I would call the baby to it and put treats in it and treat her while in it, give her the good toys etc and then we would only put her in there while we were gone.

nonny2t
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I think it is absolutely the best thing to do for a dog. We didn't do it with our yorkie and I am truly sorry because he has a lot of problems when being kenneled.

First off, it helps them hold their urine etc and they are better housetrained, secondly if you travel with them, when staying somewhere they are easily handled and don't bark and such if put in a crate or cage, thirdly, they aren't so traumatized when kenneled at a facility and fourthly leaving them at home crated if you go shopping or such keeps them from tearing up your house or urinating or whatever in your house. It helps with obedience too. My son's dogs are crate trained and go right in their cages to eat meals and at night and such.

I would definitely go that way.

bailsmom
03-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Does your Bodie sleep in her crate now with the door open? If she does I'd get a second crate so they both have their own 'den'.

We crate trained ours, she's 8 now, and we just leave the door open for her and she sleeps in there, voluntarily of course, quite a bit. Actually our one cat who hates our dog has been sleeping in her crate the last few weeks! He's not a dog person. :teehee:

Good luck with the new puppy! :cheering: I'm jealous!! ;)

flea
03-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Bodie doesn't use her crate at all anymore. In fact, we only dragged it out of storage today. We have to run to Petsmart sometime before Sunday and get a replacement divider though. It's too gigantor compared to a small puppy.

When we moved, I think I "accidentally" tossed out the divider we did have. :aww:

I'm so excited! A puppy!

flea
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
We got our new puppy yesterday! Woo hoo! She's adorable and Bodie is adjusting to being the older sister by bossing poor Domina around mercilessly. It's hard to let them settle these things themselves instead of stepping in, but I'm managing with my husband's help. I'm just too softhearted.

The bad news is that Petsmart doesn't sell just crate dividers in the store so I've had to order it online. Domi's just making do right now with one of our large boxes from our move into the condo. It seems okay so far, but the real test comes Monday night when Rusty and I both have to work.

I have pictures! www.fleatopia.com/galleries/domibodi/index.htm (http://www.fleatopia.com/galleries/domibodi/index.htm)
There's a second page linked at the bottom of that page. I'm supah pleased with how it's all working out.

WolfWalker
03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
There's nothing wrong with a puppy being in a crate while an older dog isn't. You'd be allowing the already established dog time to get used to the puppy without becoming overwhelmed by the pup. I crate train my dogs, right from the start.

I used to work at a local vet, and one of my co-workers got a boxer puppy. She didn't even think about crate training it, and one morning she found the puppy knocked out and trembling. She rushed it in to work, and the vet found that the puppy's tongue was severely burned! They eventually figured out that the puppy had chewed an electrical cord during the night and electrocuted itself! Ended up losing nearly half it's tongue.

The dog I have now has a crate although we never use it anymore for her. The crate is really large, so when she was a puppy I'd simply stick boards through to reduce the crate's size, and as she grew I'd move the boards as needed. Once she was reliably housebroken we'd only use the crate if we were going to be gone for extended periods of time, like 3 or more hours. Now though, she's learned well and never has to use the crate, even if we're gone for over 4 hours.

A crate becomes a "safe" place for dogs, it's their own space where they can go to get away from things like noisey people, unruly children, or they just want to "pass out" without worrying about being stepped over. I truly believe that all dogs should be crate trained, it's just a big benefit to them. :-)

Debra in NC

maniago
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
What a doll, the puppy is!! What breed?

flea
03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Her mom's a Husky/Shepherd mix. No idea what daddy is. heh. She'll be a mystery! But a big un.

Knitting_Guy
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Every time I see "crate training a puppy" I can't help but think about those square watermelons and what that puppy would wind up looking like :roflhard:

flea
03-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Every time I see "crate training a puppy" I can't help but think about those square watermelons and what that puppy would wind up looking like :roflhard:
Great. Now I can't get the image of my puppy all squared up outta my head! :p

Ronda
03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
:heart: Thanks for posting photos! What a cutie!!!

Mike
03-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I use a crate when I'm not home. But when I'm home I use a (or at least what I've been lead to believe is a) Buddhist monk method of keeping them on a leash on your belt.

A crate is good for teaching them bladder and bowel control but it does nothing to teach them the limits on the rest of the house.
I'm not big on crates for when you're home because it removes them from the pack. (I'm a pack trainer, not like the Dog Whisperer who claims to be a pack trainer but is actually more Pavlovian.)

I also hang a bell by the door and teach them to ring when they want to go out. (But be warned, as my niece found out, they ring to go out and play too.)

flea
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Well then, trainer guy. :) I have a question (it's an open question so feel free to chime in everybody).

Our pup is really young. She's all of 10-11 lbs and was born 1/25/08. At what age should we expect her to begin "getting" the teaching we learned at our Petsmart puppy class with our first dog? Bodie was 3 months old when we got her. Is that about the right age for things like the name game.

And if she isn't technically 'ready' will spending the time working with her on those things somehow damage her ability/desire to learn when she IS able? I'm of the opinion that it certainly can't hurt to start teaching her the basics along with the housetraining we're working on.

Mike
03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Trust me, I've had my fair share of failures, although some were funny, like the Dachshund I gave too much praise for learning to roll over (it was the first time I ever got a dog to roll over on command, I was extremely happy), after that every command was met with a rollover.
He could be lined up with other dogs who would all sit on the command and he would drop and roll them over.

You can expect some basics to be picked up at 8 weeks, not perfectly mind you.
A Springer book I have has the commands to Hup (sit), Come, No and Stay coming at 8-12 weeks with voice and hand.
Whistle, hand and voice commands are at 3-6 months.
6-9 months is double retrieves (which is pretty hard for many dogs and requires them to either remember or to go where you're pointing).

I think teaching the name should start instantly.
I start the bell trick instantly and have been amazed at how fast some puppies will stop playing and go ring the bell to go out (coupled with the leash training and crate training when the leash isn't practical I've totally stopped paper training puppies).
When I fold their tail under to stop a mistake from happening (shouting NO at the same time) I brush them into the bell on their way out the door then give them praise outside when they do their business.

You have to keep the training VERY short with very young dogs. You want them to succeed and they don't have the attention span to succeed a lot so if you push the time too long you're teaching them not to succeed. Always leave them wanting more. If you see boredom or distraction setting in stop.

You won't ruin her unless you're expecting too much and being too hard. I think you do more harm waiting too long than starting too early. As long as you're easy on the demands, not too hard and do a good job of getting across what you want even the round balls of fur want to please the pack leader.
Just don't be too hard and they won't lose faith in you as the leader. If they don't get something you probably haven't done a good job of explaining what you want.