PDA

View Full Version : Need Book Titles

photolady
03-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I need some new books to read.

Please recommend any book....I like mysteries, England's history,
American history, stories like you'd see on the Hallmark Channel,
(I'll admit it, I liked Sarah, Plain and Tall, with Glenn Close),
shakespere, classics of any kind, art history, biographies...
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MORE BOOKS TO READ

I read The Joy Luck CLub last night, and, 2 stories by Arthur Conan Doyle today. I LOVE to read, but, I'm running out of titles.
I can't recall authors or titles, very well.
Right now, after I sign off here, I'm going to read more in David Starkey's Six Wives, the Queens of Henry VIII.

Any good Tudor era books? Or, medieval era?

KniftyKnitterGal
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Let's see, there's:
The Other Boleyn Girl
Pirates!
Queen Own Fool (I think)
Pride and Prejudice (and others by Jane Austen)
Les Miserables (it's long so be prepared)
Luna
Flipped
Any Book by P.C. Cast

I'll think of more, give me ideas if you want something more specific...
:waving:

cdjack
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I really enjoy Kathy Reichs' books. She's a real-life forensic anthropologist that writes mysteries. Those books are really hard to put down.

photolady
03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Let's see, there's:
The Other Boleyn Girl
Pirates!
Queen Own Fool (I think)
Luna
Flipped
Any Book by P.C. Cast

Good list! Keep listing, ANYthing, when it comes to mind.
What's Luna about?

photolady
03-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I really enjoy Kathy Reichs' books. She's a real-life forensic anthropologist that writes mysteries. Those books are really hard to put down.

OH! That sounds really good! Forensic mysteries.
Keep listing books, as they come to you.

Ideally, I'd like a HUGE database of book titles, to choose from.

Are there any good biographies? Famous people?
I DO like forensic files, on tv, and I've read a lot of Robert Ressler's books.

Jan in CA
03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
A good place to look for mysteries - You can search by author or character, also by various other methods. I use it all the time.
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

I tend to like funny mysteries, some cozies, too. I've read all these authors offer.. I linked to their websites, you can check Amazon, too.
Robert Crais (http://www.robertcrais.com/) (Elvis Cole Mysteries)
Jan Burke (http://www.janburke.com/) (Irene Kelly Mysteries)
Kate White (http://www.katewhite.com/)
Janet Evanovich (http://www.evanovich.com/)
Sue Grafton (http://www.suegrafton.com/) (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
Patricia Cornwell (http://www.patriciacornwell.com/) (Kay Scarpetta Novels)

traceleighj
03-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh, I love to read. I work PT at a book store. Here are some of my recomendations....
Good Mystery Authors- Tami Hoag; Lisa Scottoline
Good historical fiction:
Sandra Guilland- trilogy of Josephine Bonapart- the first is "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B."
Sarah Dunant- "The Birth of Venus"
Lisa See- "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan"
Kate Mosse- "Labyrinth"
Good History-
"Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James Swanson
"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

evona
03-15-2008, 12:43 AM
These are not new books and they are very long, but I loved them and they were the best and most researched historical novels about WWII I've ever read:

Winds of War and War & Remembrance

They made a mini series called Winds of War which really was a combination of both epic novels.

1776 was a good book about Washington's troubles with his "army" at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. There are a lot of names to remember, but its a pretty easy read and I love the descriptions of the area back then.

I'm not really into mysteries or English History (at least not anymore) so I can't help you with those.

yarnrainbow
03-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Check out this thread...What'cha Reading. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67785&highlight=what%27cha+reading) It's a great thread where everyone shares titles of books they're reading. I've used it to create my Hold list at the library. :)

Jan in CA
03-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Here's a few more I liked if you like this kind of genre, too.

The Bamboo Chest by Frederick "Cork" Graham
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah

...to name a few.. (I read a lot) Am currently reading Christopher Moore books.. :roflhard:

Debkcs
03-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Oh girl, you need to go to www.PaperBackSwap.com and sign up! If you do like it, pm me and let me give you my info.

If you like REALLY good story telling, have you read Ireland by Frank Delaney? One of the best books I've ever read, and that's saying something as I can read a book or two a day when my body is acting up and I can't do anything else.

Mary Stewart's Arthur Trilogy, starting with The Crystal Cave is wonderful also.

Anne Rice's last two books, about the life of Christ, are just fantastic. Kind of fills in 'between' the lines. What a wonderful change she has made in her life.

Do you like Civil War novels, my DH is really into the Owen Parry books that start with A Faded Coat of Blue. The protagonist is a Welshman, my husband loves the series,unusual because he doesn't usually read fiction. There is also a series by Simon Scarrow on the Roman legions. The books are 'fictulizations', he likes them almost as much as the Owen Parry books.

campbellmom549
03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I loved Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper.

photolady
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
A good place to look for mysteries - You can search by author or character, also by various other methods. I use it all the time.
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

Oh, I LIKE this site! Especially the author read alikes area.
Thank you!!:hug:

Nice!

photolady
03-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh girl, you need to go to www.PaperBackSwap.com and sign up! If you do like it, pm me and let me give you my info.

If you like REALLY good story telling, have you read Ireland by Frank Delaney? One of the best books I've ever read, and that's saying something as I can read a book or two a day when my body is acting up and I can't do anything else.

Mary Stewart's Arthur Trilogy, starting with The Crystal Cave is wonderful also.

Anne Rice's last two books, about the life of Christ, are just fantastic. Kind of fills in 'between' the lines. What a wonderful change she has made in her life.

Do you like Civil War novels, my DH is really into the Owen Parry books that start with A Faded Coat of Blue. The protagonist is a Welshman, my husband loves the series,unusual because he doesn't usually read fiction. There is also a series by Simon Scarrow on the Roman legions. The books are 'fictulizations', he likes them almost as much as the Owen Parry books.

Thanks for the info on the paperback swap site. What a great idea!
I HEARD about Anne Rice's conversion. What a relief! She was really deeply into the occult, and her books, quite frankly, were repulsive to me. I'm glad she changed her tune, and I hope she keeps her resolutions and stays true to the Lord. So, you've read her latest books, and think they're good? She just creeped me out for so long, I don't know if I can read her latest.
Never heard of Simon Scarrow, but, I DO love Roman and Greek history. Please feel free to add to this post, any time, with titles and such. You say DH doesn't usually read fiction, so, what does he usually read?
Never heard of Owen Parry either.
Thanks, this has been a big boost.

photolady
03-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Let's see, there's:
The Other Boleyn Girl
Pirates!
Queen Own Fool (I think)
Luna
Flipped
Any Book by P.C. Cast

I've read all of Austen's books. What other classic authors are there?
I was in a book store today, but, forgot the classic titles.
And, didn't have a pen and paper to jot down the titles or authors.

KniftyKnitterGal
03-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Luna is a very interesting book... It's controversial though...
It's about a boy named Liam that is basically a woman in a mans body (in other words, he likes to dress like a girl), and he goes on with this secret and the only person who know is his sister, until one day he decides to attempt to tell his sexist father and workoholic mother... It's a fabulous book.

KniftyKnitterGal
03-15-2008, 08:05 PM
There are books by Mark Twain, they always have the fanous classics out together at Barnes and Noble, you should check it out.

photolady
03-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh, I love to read. I work PT at a book store.

Isn't reading the most wonderful mind trip you can take?
I love reading, too.

A book store!! WOW!

traceleighj
03-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Isn't reading the most wonderful mind trip you can take?
I love reading, too.
A book store!! WOW!
I just got back from work and boy was it an interesting day. I loved the gal who asked where the "Self Study" section was and I had to ask "for what?" she said "scuba diving" well, I had to chuckle, don't you have to have training and be certified for that:think: ?

Have you read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nght" by Mark Haddon? VERY GOOD. I just got his second book "A Spot of Bother" and I can't wait to read it, but it will have to wait as I got a ton of freebies to read today. (A nice perk to working in a book store :happydance: )

Also, big epic like "The Thorn Birds" or "North and South" you could read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Historical fiction, time travel in the Scottish Highlands.

PM me if you want any books, DH would be more than happy if I shared the wealth!

Blissknits
03-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Caleb Carr wrote two great mysteries - 18th century american, early forensics, etc. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

If you're desperate for a list of good stuff, heavy on the classics, I'd recommend going to the website of your local college, go the English Master's degree program, and look up the reading list for the MA exam. It keeps people busy for awhile. :cool:

I like Ulysses, myself, but its not everyone's cup of tea. :)

Abbily
03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I haven't read the other suggestions, but here are my author suggestions:

Lisa See (similar to Amy Tan)

mysteries:
Elizabeth George
Ruth Rendel
P.D. James
Alexander McCall Smith

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
The Crimson Petal and the White, The Illuminator, the Outlander cycle by diana gabaldon

gailf
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
If you like english history try an author named Jean Plaidy.
This is a whole series so if you like the way she writes there is always another one. Check her out on Amazon and happy reading.

Ivy19
05-08-2008, 10:38 PM
If you like English mysteries, try Elizabeth George's series featuring Inspector Thomas Lynley and P.D. James's series with Commander Adam Dalgliesh (hers go back to 1962 but still make great reads). P.D. James is a woman, btw, who didn't start writing until her 40's, if I remember correctly, after her husband became disabled and couldn't work.

American mysteries: I really like the Kellermans, Jonathan (the husband) writes about a child psychologist helping the police, and Faye (the wife) has a whole series featuring the Deckers. Hers are especially interesting because the Deckers are orthodox Jews and, as a non-Jew, I found it pretty fascinating to learn about their beliefs and practices (actually the husband, Peter Decker, isn't a practicing Jew in the first books in the series, but marries a young widow . . . ).

If you're at all interested in novels written from a (kind of) feminist perspective, I really like Kris Radish. Try "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral." It's all about how important women are to each other. Guaranteed to make you want to get together with all your friends and let them know how important they are to you.

This was a fun post. I've written down several suggestions and can't wait to find some of them. Now, if they're just available on books on tape, so that I can knit and "read" at the same time!

Ivy19
05-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Janet Evanovich (http://www.evanovich.com/)

LOVE Janet Evanovich! Her Stephanie Plum novels are laugh out loud funny! Her grandmother, alone, is worth picking up the book, isn't she?:roflhard:

Knit4Fun
05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Some of my favorite authors and books:

Mysteries/Crime/Forensics:
Sue Grafton
Marcia Muller
Sara Paretsky
Mary Higgins Clark
Janet Evanovich
Patricia Cornwell

Science Fiction:
Piers Anthony