PDA

View Full Version : Deviled eggs recipe?

HollyP
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
:waving:I know I can alway count on ya'll for help! Does anyone have a tried and true deviled egg recipe? I was assigned to make them for a pot luck I am going to on Easter. I can honestly say this is one thing I have never made. I love them but have never made them! I've searched online but have found about a million different recipe. After my search I am more confused than ever.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ingrid
03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I make a simple recipe, but everyone loves them.

I boil the eggs (not too fresh or they won't peel) for 15 minutes, and then run them under cold water. Peel them, slice in half and put the yolks in a food processor.

Now's the part where I don't really have amounts. I add mayonaisse until they're the right consistency and taste, then add a bit of dry mustard--again to taste.

Put the goop into a plastic bag and cut the corner and squeeze it into the egg halves. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of paprika if you like.

MMario
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Essentially I do the same - only I use prepared mustard and add it before the mayo.

If I want to get fancy - I may season with a touch of curry powder and/or use curry powder in place of the paprika

stagebear
03-21-2008, 12:19 PM
for the perfect boiled eggs, bring the water to a boil. lower add the eggs and lower to a simmer. cover for 20min.
cut the eggs in half and take out the yolks. mix the yolks with some mayo, a touch of mustard, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of sugar - to taste. i just add a bit at a time and keep tasting.
then put the yolk mixture in the white halves and spinkle with paprika.

Eccie
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I put a dash of vinegar in mine instead of the mustard. Also if you want the yolks in the middle of the whites. Snap a rubber band on the egg carton and tilt it on it's side in the fridge for a day or so.

auburnchick
03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Deviled eggs are one of my favorite things to make and eat!

Like most people already mentioned, I mix mayo, mustard, salt and pepper into my concoction. One thing that I do different from everyone else is add a bit (a large spoon full) of dill pickle juice to mine. It gives the eggs a nice flavor along with making them creamier.

princess
03-21-2008, 02:35 PM
i do the mustard mayo and a dash of white vinegar-it adds a nice tangy flavor to it, oh and to make them look prettier sprinkle paprika on them it doesnt really affect the flavor at all (imo)

Sharly
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Guess there aren't too many wild variations on deviled eggs! I use mayo, salt, pepper and sweet salad cubes. I also use the spanish paprika to make 'em pretty!

MMario
03-21-2008, 02:57 PM
oh, there are plenty of crazy variations - most of them just aren't worth the trouble. though adding some cream cheese, horseradish and bacon is good;
and another variation with diced chicken, raisens and curry powder.

Someone once told me - anything you'd put in an omelet you can put into deviled eggs.

lelvsdgs
03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Guess there aren't too many wild variations on deviled eggs! I use mayo, salt, pepper and sweet salad cubes. I also use the spanish paprika to make 'em pretty!
What are sweet salad cubes? This is a new term for me.:oops:

Eccie
03-21-2008, 06:31 PM

They're also known as sweet relish, pickle relish, or just relish

Sharly
03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
What Eccie said :)

Sewing Angel
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
My recipe is basically the same as everyone else's, but I squeeze lime juice on the yolks when I mash them. It gives them a great flavor with a little tang.
Angel

CountryKitty
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Ditto the mayo and mustard, mashed with the yolks with a fork...but then I add DILL relish instead of sweet (goes better with the mustard).

dreamsherl
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I boil the eggs (not too fresh or they won't peel) for 15 minutes, and then run them under cold water. Peel them, slice in half and put the yolks in a food processor.

Now's the part where I don't really have amounts. I add mayonaisse until they're the right consistency and taste, then add a bit of dry mustard--again to taste.

Put the goop into a plastic bag and cut the corner and squeeze it into the egg halves. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of paprika if you like.

I do just about the same without the mustard. I add sweet relish.

knitasha
03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I like them chunky rather than creamy, so I mash the yolks roughly instead of processing them. Then I add finely chopped celery, carrot and red pepper. Lots of pepper and salt along with the mayo and mustard. (This makes a great egg salad sandwich, too.)

For a fancier party (wedding lunch maybe?), add a little sour cream to the mayo (no mustard), process the yolks to a puree and top with a bit of red caviar.

I once tried flavoring the yolks with mashed avocado and a put a little salsa on top. It was edible but the color was nauseating.

The eggs will peel easily every time if you poke a hole in one end with a pin before cooking. When they're done, plunge them into ice water for 10 minutes before peeling.

I've seen a product that combine mayonnaise with mustard (made by French?). Seems like a marketing gimmick to me, but might be handy if you need to make hundreds of devilled eggs.

Carrie218
03-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Chalk it up to being a consummate gourmet...

I actually make my own mayonnaise, adding the requisite powdered mustard, to which I also include chopped fresh tarragon and chopped capers and diced cornichons (tiny French pickles), topping each egg with a fresh sprig of tarragon. Elegant and stunning.

HollyP
03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone!! :muah: I've gotten some really good tips from all of you! I can't wait to make them now.

Eccie
03-22-2008, 12:16 PM
The eggs will peel easily every time if you poke a hole in one end with a pin before cooking. When they're done, plunge them into ice water for 10 minutes before peeling.

Really? Hmm I'll have to try that next time I have fresh eggs

Marni
03-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't have a great recipe to give you and I'm sure all the ones that have been posted are terrific. I don't make them often so I tend to vary the ingredients just a little bit. I do like them more mustardy than mayonnaisey. I do have a egg cooking process for eggs that you can practically peel with one hand and a filling process that I can share though.

Prepare:
1. Buy your eggs 5 days in advance because fresher eggs don't peel as well.
2. I've read that it helps to center the yolk if you keep the eggs on their side for several hours/overnight before boiling them. I've tried it and it does seem to help. An alternative to this method is to center the yolk during the cooking process by gently stirring the eggs in a clockwise direction. Then, after a minute or two, reverse directions, stirring slowly, but constantly. Bring the whole thing to a boil, reduce heat to a low bubble and boil for 3 minutes, still stirring gently. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit for 7 minutes, The result is a perfectly centered yolk.

Boil:
1. With a safety pin poke a hole through the fat end of the shell being careful not to go so deep that you puncture the yolk.
2. Carefully place eggs in a sauce pan not too big and not too small for the job; you want your eggs to have room to sway after adding the water but not so much room that they can bounce all over the place.
2. Add cold water to about 1" above your eggs.
Myths or Truths I don't do: I've heard that a 1/2 tsp of salt will keep your eggs from cracking. And that 1 Tbsp of vinegar will keep the whites from running out if they do happen to crack.
3. Bring the water to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat so that the water is barely simmering so like medium low. Set your timer for 12 minutes. Another method is just to cover the pan and let it sit off the heat for 12-15 mins; I just feel better about cooking on the actual stove. While your eggs are cooking get out a bowl and put the same volume of ice in it as there are eggs; don't skimp. Add cool/cold water and wait for the timer to go off.
5. Scoop the eggs out of the water using a slotted spoon and carefully set them into the bowl of ice water. I use a spaghetti noodle spoon and can grab 3 at a time with it.
6. Let the eggs sit in the ice cold water until they are completely cooled. Some say the eggs peel easier when they are still warm, but I haven't found this to work for me.

Slice: Use a very very sharp knife or what works even better is dental floss; just don't use a flavored floss! Although awkward, slicing from the top down is the cleanest for going through the yolk, but since we're making deviled eggs here it doesn't matter if the yolk sticks a bit.

Fill: Scoop your prepared deviled egg filling into a quart size freezer bag. Squish out as much air as you can and seal the bag. Now cut a hole about 1/4" across the tip of one of the bottom corners of the bag. Use the freezer bag like pastry bag and squeeze the mixture into your egg halves in an easy mess free manner. I suppose you could use a real pastry bag too, but I don't have those around. If the mixture isn't coming out very easily don't force it or you'll split the bag and start swearing instead make the corner hole a tad bigger.

Other mentionables:
• Hard eggs will spin on a counter. Raw eggs won't. Sometimes they get mixed up in the fridge.
• Overcooking boiled eggs causes the yolk to turn green.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/2351683511_56be4dbfc9_t.jpg (http://marlened.blogspot.com/2008/03/et-egg-is-done.html)

VictoiseC
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Holy Moly, what a lot of egg recipes! AND it's after Easter and I'm reading them all! This is funny. That last one whoa, what a lot of posting and work! I love that tarragon idea. Ok, I just have to get my recipe in here even if Easter's over. I like spicy. My deviled eggs have, besides mayo & mustard and lots of black pepper,
curry powder, capers, a few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne and some parsley. I like them a bit chunky too. ummmmm now I have a taste for them. I put some capers on top & paprika always.
Czech version I guess.

Lollilulu
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I think we always do the mayonnaise, tinge of mustard, paprika, pepper, some salt maybe, and a dash of dill after you get it piped in. They're so yummy!

gingerbread
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I make mine with Miracle Whip and that's it. The rest is the same cook eggs take out the yolk and put them in a bowl. Add the Miracle Whip with the yolk and them mash them up. Replace the yolk mixture to the egg halves. TaDa they are done and ready to eat.

I love all the other recipes and will give them a try. It is great to have all these to recipes to have in ones recipe box. Who knew there could be so many ways to make deviled eggs.:passedout:

:waving: