PDA

View Full Version : Any Christian Knitters?

photolady
03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
I've been looking around, and am interested in seeing if any of you Christians knitters find that knitting helps you in memorizing Scripture verses, or helps you to focus more on God. I think knitting a familiar pattern helps me to listen, more calmly, to
Christian bible stories, or to be more aware of the spiritual world that exists in our everyday living. I find it more difficult to
concentrate on thoughts about Christianity, if the pattern is new, or extremely complicated. I like to knit gifts for others, and as I knit, I like to pray for that person.
Do any Christians in here use their knitting time to focus more on biblical scriptures and principles?
I would also like to get some patterns for knitting crosses, and the Christian fish design. Anyone here have Christian designs that I can incorporate into my knitting?

Have any of you found any Resurrection Day knitting designs? I really enjoyed celebrating Ressurection Day, otherwise known to some as Easter.

I'm not naive enough to think there isn't discrimination against Christianity, I run into it almost daily. I get it from some surprising sources, too! Do any of you? I've had a bible thrown at me, been sworn at, been called names, and found a few fair weather friends who ran at the first sign of rejection from others who were not Christian.
I raised my children to be Christians,and, found there were a lot of church member parents who have no idea about
how to raise a child as a Christian. Sadly, many even within the churches have misconceptions.

Well, I hope I see a continuing thread of information and support here. Christian knitters.

Cynamar
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
I am a Christian, but I confess that while I knit I am also watching TV or talking on the phone or to my daughter or something--seldom sitting and concentrating on one thing. Since you mention it, though, it is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on God's word or to talk to Him.

fibrenut
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Photolady,
What a coinkidink, me n my son were talking about this very thing.
I sort of compare the persecution thing to battered spouses and the type of abuse they receive.
There of course is the obvious physical abuse, which we all are definitely against and that's like the persecution of the christians in China and in the Muslim countries.
Then there's the more insidious of the two, mental abuse. Not quite as obvious but a lot harder to heal. Bruises heal and for the most part people get help for their obvious needs. But mental abuse and persecution, is harder for people to see and therefore, sometimes quite easy to dismiss as just an overactive imagination or mental illness on the part of the victim. That to me is more like the persecution here and in some european countries. Insidious and EVIL!!
We also discussed how, beings we are created in God's image, that he instilled in us the need to create. To me, that's why we get such a kick out of working with our hands and creating things, whether it's paintings or textiles or what have you. God, in my personal opinion, wants us to feel the joy he had when he created the universe.
Yeah, I know that we as humans messed up n all that but hey, at least we weren't frogged!!!:) :whistle:
KK I'll get off my soap box now!! LOL

dustinac
03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
I am a Christian...and normally if I'm knitting the item for someone then I will pray for that person while I work on the piece...

**I'm just putting this out here as this thread is just getting started... Let's remeber to keep this thread polite and not target or hurt...there are many different threads/views to Christianity and each believe in there way as you believe in yours...to some this is a very private matter...:hug: **

redheadrachel
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah it definitely helps me pray for people, but I haven't used it to memorize scriptures - I'll have to try that :)

photolady
03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
I am a Christian...and normally if I'm knitting the item for someone then I will pray for that person while I work on the piece...
Prayer is a powerful thing, isn't it? God tells us to pray unceasingly, and, while knitting a garment or gift for someone else, how marvelous to send prayers upwards to our Lord Jesus.

**I'm just putting this out here as this thread is just getting started... Let's remeber to keep this thread polite and not target or hurt
I agree.

...there are many different threads/views to Christianity and each believe in there way as you believe in yours...to some this is a very private matter...:hug: **

I understand some feel uncomfortable talking about their Christianity.
I don't feel that way, I'm glad of it, and want to talk openly about it.
I've felt that way, ever since I read about Christians being told to preach the Gospel, no matter where you go.
I'm very glad for the people who have put their responses here, though, and I hope this group grows and grows.

photolady
03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I am a Christian, but I confess that while I knit I am also watching TV or talking on the phone or to my daughter or something--seldom sitting and concentrating on one thing. Since you mention it, though, it is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on God's word or to talk to Him.

It's really a great time to spend hiding the Word in your heart.
You can probably get free bible tapes from your public library, or, purchase New Testament cds or tapes, from Amazon or such places, at a really LOW cost. Then, just pop them in, when you knit, and relax, and listen.
Just play the tapes over and over, and pretty soon, you'll know,by heart, a whole chapter of the bible!!
I've often lamented about the amount of time Christians spend, watching tv, when we could be using that time a little more wisely.
And, listening to tapes in your own home, is very private.

photolady
03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah it definitely helps me pray for people, but I haven't used it to memorize scriptures - I'll have to try that :)

Knitting is a good time to refresh and renew your mind.
You can go to Amazon.com, and type in New Testament audiobooks.
Or, look around in the local used book shops.

photolady
03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Photolady,
What a coinkidink, me n my son were talking about this very thing.

;) Funny how those things work, isn't it?

Happens to me a lot!! It pays to post, doesn't it?

photolady
03-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Photolady,

I sort of compare the persecution thing to battered spouses and the type of abuse they receive.
Then there's the more insidious of the two, mental abuse. Not quite as obvious but a lot harder to heal. Bruises heal and for the most part people get help for their obvious needs. But mental abuse and persecution, is harder for people to see and therefore, sometimes quite easy to dismiss as just an overactive imagination or mental illness on the part of the victim. That to me is more like the persecution here and in some european countries. Insidious and EVIL!!

Seems like those who lightly dismiss the insidious form are those who might not have ever experienced it. I don't know, just my opinion.
Persecution comes in many forms, doesn't it? Insidious and evil, I agree, but, to be expected when one is VERY busy being a Christian.

Anyone else ever been rejected or maligned, for their stand on Christianity and it's precepts? Ever been subtly villified?

auburnchick
03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Nathalie raises her hand, though I'll bet nobody is surprised. :teehee:

I do not try to memorize verses while knitting. I'll admit that I like nothing better than sitting in front of the TV and knitting.

What I have found, though, is an outlet to act on the command to "Feed my people." I have become involved in the charity Oddball Baby Blankets. I've been considering bringing up the idea to do something like this at my church. I pray for the babies who I'm knitting blankets for.

As far as persecution, I've been fortunate in that I haven't been directly persecuted. I have noticed that a lot of people think they are Christians, but they really aren't. At least, what they profess to believe doesn't jive with the Word. I thought that when I moved back to the "south," I would find more Christians, but I don't think that is the case. There are lost people everywhere. Many people in the Bible Belt assume they are Christians because they have attended church all of their lives.

Sometimes, my knitting in public opens up conversations that wind up delving into this subject.

I am so desperately concerned for the lost. I listen to Way of the Master (http://wayofthemasterradio.com/), a program you can listen to online, Christian radio, or Sirius (every day from 2-4pm Central time). It has really opened my eyes to a new way of sharing the Gospel as well as to the fact that there are a lot of well-intentioned people who are just as lost as everyone else.

Anyhow...those are my thoughts.

Love to all...you know that I adore all of you, regardless of which religion you believe in. :hug:

Ronda
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Christian here, but I have to admit that if I don't concentrate on my knitting, I usually mess it up! I'm usually counting or trying to keep my mind focused on my knitting. Often, my mind will wander though, and I think about all kinds of things but never any focused thinking.

cftwo
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Not so much while knitting, but when I cross-stitches a 1 Corinthians 13 sampler, I really felt the power of meditating on those words, and, as a side effect, memorizing them.

As for being vilified for being Christian - I find that if I do more of a modeling of my faith, and don't "show off" or "preach" too much, I have a much better reception. (Just like with being a vegetarian - model it, but don't try to "shove it down someone's throat", and the message is clear without being a burden who the recipient.)

bjc1050
03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I count myself as a Christian, also. Another great website for bible teaching is www.shepherdschapel.com - they teach the bible book by book, chapter by chapter. I learned so much from them when we used to have a satelite dish in WV. Thankfully, they are online now, too.

Cecily
03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
What a great thread. Thanks for starting it PhotoLady. The internet is such a wonderful tool to meet and discuss items of interest with others. I am a Christian. Christ was calling me from the time I can remember. I am so happy to have a relationship with the one and only that will never let me down and "will always be with me". My needlework including knitting is a gift from God. I use it for myself and others. For myself, while I knit, I talk with God, pray for others, meditate on scriptures, events and sort things out in my mind. For others, I knit items which make them happy. I knit for family and charity. I meet many people through this handiwork and share the love for my craft as well as my love for my Lord.

I have not found any Christian patterns, but I would be so happy to find one.

Hope everyone has a blessed evening!

Cecily

Becky Morgan
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, I'm Christian, pray while I'm knitting for somebody, and often have one of the Christian XM stations on while I'm awake and alone in the evening. I found out a long while ago that people have many different ideas of what Christianity is, should be or can't be. It seems better for me just to keep my mouth shut and work like the blazes I'm hoping to avoid :) I forget who said my favorite quote--"Your life is the only Bible some people will ever read."

saracidaltendencies
03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Let me first and foremost point out I do not mean to offend anyone here in what I have to say so let me apologize if I do. I also don't intend to change direction of this thread so please, do not feel you have to keep coming back to my question, if you would like to reply, of course that is fine, but, as I said, I don't want to take away anything from this thread. If it would be better off as a separate thread, I would not be offended if it were made a split topic.

I do, however have a question and as I said, it is not intended to offend, I simply don't understand it and that is why I am asking.

I was just curious as to why many people get quite focused on being a good Christian as opposed to being a good person? That's not to insinuate that Christians aren't good people by any means, but, it seems, many times, the focal point is to is be a good Christian first and foremost. And, the two don't always go hand in hand, just as with any person. I do know people who are good people but not what would necessarily be viewed as good Christians, and, people who claim to be good Christians but aren't necessarily good people.

Again, I sincerely do not mean to offend anyone and apologize if my question has come off as offensive, I'm just trying to understand. Also again, if this would be better as a separate topic, I don't mind the topic being split.

beachknits
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
YES, knitting definately helps me focus more on God. As a matter of fact, that's one of the reasons why I learned to knit it the first place. I've been knitting for almost two years now and it began as a way to heal following a terrible tragedy I suffered in my life. But the way I've healed is by knitting for other people and praying as I knit.

I just joined this forum tonight and minutes later I saw your post. I was encouraged to see there are other Christian knitters that responded to your post right away. This is wonderful!

I would love to join a Christian knit-a-long of some kind... Perhaps a prayer shawl? I have the "Knitting For Peace" book and they have a section in there on prayer shawls. Any ideas for a pattern?

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I've been a Christian since I was young, and spent many years in deep Bible study. Sometimes, I find myself "coasting" on all the wisdom God has already given me.

I'm blessed to have a husband that is just beginning his spiritual journey. He is learning truths from the Bible for the first time, and it opens my eyes and heart to see it being understood as a new thing. Very cool. :thumbsup:

kayeknit
04-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Let me first and foremost point out I do not mean to offend anyone here in what I have to say so let me apologize if I do. I also don't intend to change direction of this thread so please, do not feel you have to keep coming back to my question, if you would like to reply, of course that is fine, but, as I said, I don't want to take away anything from this thread. If it would be better off as a separate thread, I would not be offended if it were made a split topic.

I do, however have a question and as I said, it is not intended to offend, I simply don't understand it and that is why I am asking.

I was just curious as to why many people get quite focused on being a good Christian as opposed to being a good person? That's not to insinuate that Christians aren't good people by any means, but, it seems, many times, the focal point is to is be a good Christian first and foremost. And, the two don't always go hand in hand, just as with any person. I do know people who are good people but not what would necessarily be viewed as good Christians, and, people who claim to be good Christians but aren't necessarily good people.

Again, I sincerely do not mean to offend anyone and apologize if my question has come off as offensive, I'm just trying to understand. Also again, if this would be better as a separate topic, I don't mind the topic being split.

First of all, as a Christian, I take no offense from your comments. And I agree with you that many "Christians" are not very "Christian-like"...and many "good people" do not adhere to the Christian faith. But my faith is very important to me, and Jesus Christ is my example in life, so therefore, I strive to be a "good Christian". I think you're just getting into a minor issue with words. Words don't really mean all that much here. We should, of course, all try to be "good people". But (and I think I can speak for most, if not all, Christians) those of us who follow the Christian faith find that the Bible gives us the wisdom we need to be "good people", but also important is our belief that God's most wonderful gift to humankind is his only son, Jesus Christ. And though I cannot go into all the facets of the religion here, fundamental to Christianity is faith in Christ. And that faith is supposed to guide us in all our thoughts and actions...hence, we are to strive to be "good Christians" (and "good people"). I hope I am clear, and that nothing I said was offensive, either. Blessings to you and all! :heart:
As for knitting helping memorize Scripture...Well, I'll have to give that a try. Knitting being such a contemplative activity, I should have thought of that before. Thanks for the idea!

get_her_donne
04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
In response to the "good people" topic, I think it's imporatant to point out what the Bible says about people, since it is the authority on our faith. It says no one is inherently good (i.e. in accordance with God's moral will), we made that choice back in Eden to depart form God and depart from good and so now no one is good. Romans 3:11 - "There is none good, no not one."
I think why we hear the term "good Christian" used so much is that we find our identity in Christ, that's just who we are. Some like to say if you invite Christ into your life you'll be a Christian...but what it really is is Christ inviting you into His life. When that happens, He puts His goodness over our sins. So that when God judges us we are righteous in His sight, only through the imputed righteousness of Christ which is recieved by faith alone. Thus we are saved from death. "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?...And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Cor 6:9, 11

So Christians are not perfectly good (at least, in this life), but they are covered by Christ's goodness which overpowers sin and death and "badness". If we are covered with Christ's goodness, we have the ability to do good things that please Him, and of course we want to please Him since He saved us from an eternity of death =). To sum up...Being a "good Christian" is "striving to be like the One in whom we trust for life." Being a "good human" is impossible (the Romans 3:10 verse)
I hope my logic wasn't too rambling...

I'm a Christian knitter by the way :mrgreen:. Kntting for other people is such a great reminder to pray for them! Also, there's no excuse not to memorize God's Word when knitting so I like to try that too =].

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I really don't see the need for us to defend our beliefs here.

I think we should continue a discussion about Christianity among ourselves without having to defend it to everyone that doesn't believe the same way.

There are topics in the forum about other beliefs, and no one is barging there demanding to know why they believe the way they do.

I know it is uncharacteristic of me to voice my opinion like this, but I really feel like it needed to be said.

KnittingNat
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Sandy, I don't think anyone here is in defence. Just the way photolady asked questions about Paganism in the other thread and was answered in a very nice way, i think it's legitimate for others to ask questions about Christianity and I hope it won't get to a discussion about which religion is best, that's just childish, but asking questions and trying to understand others' views doesn't seem wrong to me. I'm sorry for barging in, especially when i'm neither Christian nor Pagan :teehee: . :hug:

jcmom
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Another Christian knitter here..........I don't try to memorize scripture while knitting, but I am making a rather involved afghan for a young couple and am praying for them as I work on it.

saracidaltendencies
04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you to those who have responded, and yes, it has clarified it for me.

There is no need for anyone to defend their beliefs as it was never my intention to make anyone feel I was threatening them, I simply wanted to ask the question because it was something I didn't understand. The answers have been clear and I indeed have a better understanding of the importance of people to be good Christians.

As I stated, in no way was it my intention to take away from this thread and I didn't think I was barging in nor demanding to know why they believe what they do, I never questioned anyone's faith, I simply wanted to know why it seems so many focus more on being a good Christian as opposed to focusing on being a good person.

After all, how can anyone come to an understanding without asking questions?

Anyway, my question has been answered and I do indeed have a better understanding of the issue.

Thanks again to those who have replied!

cindycactus
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I am a christian. I love Christ and I do knit. It is a good time to pray .:pray:

jdee
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm also a Christian, and I love to knit. I haven't tried using knitting time to memorize scripture, but it can be a great time of prayer and focus.

I'd like to answer Demonica's question. To me, and this is just the way I see it, to want to be a good Christian IS to want to be a good person. Our goal is to live a life pleasing to God, and our role model is Christ, who according to the Bible is the sinless, spotless son of God. The ultimate "good person" so to speak. When I find myself, falling short of that goal, I think of myself as failing to be a good Christain, which to me, is the same thing as failing to be a good person, because a Christian is simply a person, who believes in Christ, and his teachings. Sadly there are lots of people who claim to be Christians, who don't seem to act very Christian-like. I can't speak for them, or judge them. That's between them an God.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Jennifer

jdee
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Thank you to those who have responded, and yes, it has clarified it for me.

There is no need for anyone to defend their beliefs as it was never my intention to make anyone feel I was threatening them, I simply wanted to ask the question because it was something I didn't understand. The answers have been clear and I indeed have a better understanding of the importance of people to be good Christians.

As I stated, in no way was it my intention to take away from this thread and I didn't think I was barging in nor demanding to know why they believe what they do, I never questioned anyone's faith, I simply wanted to know why it seems so many focus more on being a good Christian as opposed to focusing on being a good person.

After all, how can anyone come to an understanding without asking questions?

Anyway, my question has been answered and I do indeed have a better understanding of the issue.

Thanks again to those who have replied!
Oops! It looks like I was typing at the same time you were. I'm glad your question was answered.

MAmaDawn
04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm a Christian knitter too. I do pray for those i am knitting for. It's one of the things I LOVE about the oddball baby and preemie blankets. I can pray for specific children that I wouldn't be able to pray specifically for otherwise.

I also knit at church. Just simple patterns. But it keeps my mind from wondering. Keeps me focused on what is being said.

I too will have to start using my knitting time to memorize scripture.

I wanted to add something to what the others have said about being a good person or a good Christian. Being a good Christian is sometimes not the same as what would be called being a good person. God's ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts. We have to look to the Bible to guide us. Sometimes that means doing something that in our finite human brain seems mean or wrong, but with God infinite wisdom it's just not.

I hope that helps.

saracidaltendencies
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Oops! It looks like I was typing at the same time you were. I'm glad your question was answered.

No, no, if you would like to add something, that's fine as I'm sure each person has their own view as to why it is important to them and I, always seeking other's viewpoints to try to come to a better understanding, would love to hear what everyone has to say!

Thank you all for your replies and for not being offended as that truly, from the bottom of my heart was not my intention, understanding was my intention.

I just didn't want to totally hijack the thread and have it steer off topic.

msoebel
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Hmmmn...I am a Christian. As a matter of fact, my dh is a youth pastor. We both feel very called into this ministry.

I often pray for others when I knit, specifically for the recipient of the item. I pray that the baby I am knitting for now would be a joy to his parents, and that his parents would have wisdom and grace as they attempt to raise him in God's ways. I love that every stitch of the sweater has a prayer in it, just for him.

As for persecution...most Americans have no idea what true persecution is. We don't like it when someone doesn't like us because of our beliefs, or when someone mocks us. That's not persecution...that's called being different. Which is what we are CALLED to be. Persecution is going to jail for your beliefs, facing torture, knowing that your family will likely face the same circumstances. Persecution is knowing that your life is in danger. Being harassed and hit. Go to a Muslim country and see how converts are treated. Go to China...pastors there are in jail, their families are in jail, they are tortured for their beliefs...starved or beaten in jail. The letters they manage to sneak out are horrifying...but inspiring. That is persecution. What we face here, I will gladly take without a complaint.

Being a Christian means being a Christ follower, trying to be Christ-like. It saddens me how often people use His name when doing something that He would never do. Jesus didn't judge those who were sinning...he hung out with them. He went to the tax collector's houses and ate with them. He befriended prostitutes. He was kind to Roman officals (he raised Jarius's daughter from the dead). People were drawn to Him, not because He was perfect, but because He was so good.

Of course, everyone knew where He stood. He was blameless and good. He didn't beat around the bush when He taught. But He also didn't beat people over the heads with it either.

auburnchick
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
What an interesting question, Demonica!

I do not think there is any such thing as a "good Christian," nor do I believe that there are "good people."

You're either a Christian, or you're not. Period. What makes us different is our place in the journey. Some people are further along than others. Some stay close to God, and others remain aloof, although the repentence has occurred.

Oh, one other thing. Have y'all ever realized that there is no verse in the Bible that states that we are to ask Jesus into our hearts? This is not the way to become a Christian. It is through repentence...acknowlegement of sin and a turning away from it...that saves us.

I have always heard this, and it wasn't until two years ago that I learned differently. I knew that repentence is part of the process, but we get so hung up on the "Ask Jesus into your heart" thing, that we don't realize that this is not what God commanded us.

Chalk this up to "things that make you go hmmm..."

Onward...

I, like someone else stated, believe (because the Bible states it) that there are no good people. We are all sinful. We're born that way. Watch a child. Nobody ever has to teach children to be defiant. They just are. That doesn't change.

Granted, most people do not act out in extreme ways (although prisons are full of people who have done just this).

GREAT thread!

Dangles
04-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I am a Christian as well. Knit n Pray is what I do.

knitting4-2girls
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello fellow Christian knitters.

I have to admit that I have not tried memorizing verses while knitting, just didn't think about it. Although, I have been involved in a Bible Study about Heaven and have used my knitting time as an opportunity to really meditate on what the study and have gotten more insights into it.

So glad to find you all here on Knitting-Help(err..Dental-help.com)

Ginger

wingem
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I too consider myself a Christian, and I hope I'm a good person! And as a Christian I welcome all questions, in finding the answers I also learn more about the bible. I pray everytime I start a project, I pray that he guides my hands. I have some stories of his miracles, the answers to my prayers have convinced my DSIL to believe. Thank you Dear Lord Jesus for letting us have the freedom to voice our faith. In Jusus holy name Amen.

Lisa R.
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm a Christian, and I listen to my mp3 player while knitting...sometimes with knitting podcasts or something like that, but often with sermons or other messages downloaded from online...or music.

I do pray for those I am knitting for as well. I haven't ever made a direct connection between my knitting and my faith, but any quiet time if always up for use in prayer or praise.

Knit4Fun
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I am a Christian as well and I do enjoy knitting while listening to Joyce Meyer or others. I am not proficient enough to listen totally while trying to follow a complicated pattern, though...so I work on more repetitive stuff while listening so I can truly hear what I am listening to. And I pray a lot while I am knitting. My prayers are more like simple conversations with God about my day and the people I care about.

I think it is important to dialogue with people who have questions like Demonica does. It's only through talking that we gain understanding. How does that saying go...seek first to understand and then to be understood?

My simple take on Christianity is that although I personally do believe that Jesus died for my sins and I am forgiven through Him, even if that were not true...isn't Jesus still a great model of behavior for us in terms of loving others, serving others and respecting ourselves and others? To me that is what being a good person is all about and it has little to do with whether you believe in Jesus or any other religious figure - it's whether you give to others and care about them or not.

Of course, there are those that claim affiliation with Christianity or any other world religion and yes, they are called out by those with differing beliefs or those with questions when they don't 'walk their talk.' How many people claim to be Christian and then cut someone off on the way out of the church parking lot on Sunday? This goes for every religion...if you take a stand for being a part of something that calls for good deeds and behavior, you should either be able to commit to that or you will come under scrutiny, plain and simple.

That's my two cents...need change? :teehee:

willowangel
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
My simple take on Christianity is that although I personally do believe that Jesus died for my sins and I am forgiven through Him, even if that were not true...isn't Jesus still a great model of behavior for us in terms of loving others, serving others and respecting ourselves and others? To me that is what being a good person is all about and it has little to do with whether you believe in Jesus or any other religious figure - it's whether you give to others and care about them or not.

I love that you've said this :-) I used to have a debate with my acupuncturist who was a Christian around the time 'Doubts and Loves' was published, where a Christian had said that he didn't believe in the literal truth of the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection, he believed that they were spiritual metaphors, but that his faith in Christ was intense and the model for his life.

My acupuncturist said that if the 'miracles' weren't true, then none of it meant anything, and it was all worthless, where I believe that Christ's words are beautiful and eternal. Even if he was just a man with a faith in his divine purpose from God, then the model he gave us to live by is enough. If he gave people a better way to live - through compassion, tolerance, forgiveness and love - then I would say that's more than enough to follow him and his words, and to live as an example to others. I didn't disagree with him too much, though, cause he was sticking needles in me ;-)

feministmama
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey if you believe in miricles then go right ahead. That's what I think anyway. And if they weren't iricles then they were probably srtories based on something someone once did and they thought it was so great they kind of...embellished a little. ya know the folks back then didn't have TV to show us how fake humans can be. THey took everything literally becasue that's all thier was. So if the stories give some christians a good feeling then I say why not.

I don't call myself anything. But I try to live a "good" life whatever that means and respect the earth and humans and the animals. To me the presence that we all feel is love. If someone wants to call that 'god" or "buddah" or "allah" then cool. Love is still love by any other name.

I always thought nuns were cool though. THis is coming from someone who didn't go to Catholic school :roflhard:. I grew up around a lot of catholics and Christians. I was a girlscout that had a lot of "christian" values, went to the Y, went to a camp called "good news" that sort of thing. Back then folks were very kind and nice. And I remember a lot of hippies. It was so common to me. So many young people who were into peace and love were also into christianity. Becasue that's what they thought peace and love were all about.

I havent met anymore christian hippies. It seems that Newt Ginrich and some other folks using christianity to discriminate people gave it a bad name.

So my question for christians is this: Do you feel christianity has changed since the 70s? Has it lost something becasue of politicians using it for thier own gain rather than as a means of love? Or am I asking a really dumb question?

bjc1050
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
So my question for christians is this: Do you feel christianity has changed since the 70s? Has it lost something becasue of politicians using it for thier own gain rather than as a means of love? Or am I asking a really dumb question?

People change, but never God or Jesus or Christianity. Either you are a Christian or you aren't. God knows who is and who isn't a Christian. Religion may lose something because of politics, but never Christianity.

Debkcs
04-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Wow, it's so cool to find that I have so many Christian sisters here!

I've been a Christian for a long time, but not always a 'good person'. As Jesus said, "No one is good, except for the Father."

On a sad note, PhotoLady has been banned from this site. She wrote to me this afternoon, I wouldn't have known otherwise. Apparently, her stance on Christianity bothered some, as did her politics. Personally, when someone writes something I disagree with, I don't go running to the moderators to complain. It's just a disagreement.

If anyone would like to contact her, please let me know.

Sweet
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
What a great thread. I have not found any Christian patterns, but I would be so happy to find one.

Hope everyone has a blessed evening!

Cecily

I'm looking for a Christian fish pattern. I found a picture of one, but, no pattern. She was making a graph of it, and knitted a washcloth from it, but, no free pattern.

Sweet
04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Have y'all ever realized that there is no verse in the Bible that states that we are to ask Jesus into our hearts? This is not the way to become a Christian...
In Romans 10, it says That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
So, perhaps the people who told you that, were trying to make sure this part of the Gospel was being followed, in the path of salvation. The heart has something to do with it, according to these verses.

Sweet
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I too consider myself a Christian, and I hope I'm a good person! And as a Christian I welcome all questions, in finding the answers I also learn more about the bible. Thank you Dear Lord Jesus for letting us have the freedom to voice our faith. In Jusus holy name Amen.

I also find that questions about my faith increase my knowledge about the Bible.
I'm so glad someone started this thread, it's nice to see other believers, as well as non-believers, are interested in coming here to read.

msoebel
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey if you believe in miricles then go right ahead. That's what I think anyway. And if they weren't iricles then they were probably srtories based on something someone once did and they thought it was so great they kind of...embellished a little. ya know the folks back then didn't have TV to show us how fake humans can be. THey took everything literally becasue that's all thier was. So if the stories give some christians a good feeling then I say why not.

Well, as for miracles, I have experienced one first hand. I was diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease when I was 11 years old. The drs said that I would be in a wheel chair by the time I was 30 and would never be able to have kids. Yes, we got second opinions, yes, I was tested several times, and yes, it was always the same diagnosis. I was prayed over by a family friend, and I was healed. I can't explain it. The drs couldn't explain it...it just happened. Blood tests and biopsies that had been coming back positive suddenly started coming back negative. The drs said it was miraculous. Instead of breaking my arm while doing a cartwheel, I was playing street hockey with the guys...no padding.

On the other side of the country, at the same time, a 12 year old boy was dying of leukemia. The drs didn't think he had long...he was wasting away. His mother prayed over him several times and then one day, his blood counts just started changing. The drs couldn't figure out what was happening...his parents had stopped treatments because the little boy wasn't responding to them anyway. His body was miraculously recovering. Literally, in one day, he went from not being able to sit up, to playing.

That little boy is now my dh. He's the healthiest person I have ever met.:heart:

I don't tell those stories because it gives me warm fuzzy feelings :wink:. I do, however, very much believe that miracles are possible because of these two stories. I know that they don't happen all the time, I know that they are rare, but I also have no doubt that miracles can happen.

I understand that most people's exposure to the miraculous is through the contrived...the tele-evangelist with the tacky suit, or the traveling preacher who does "revivals" in each town. But just because someone "fakes" it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means they are a liar. And, sadly, not everyone who calls themselves a follower of Christ lives up to that name.

Sweet
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
YES, knitting definately helps me focus more on God. I just joined this forum tonight and minutes later I saw your post. I was encouraged to see there are other Christian knitters that responded to your post right away. This is wonderful!

I would love to join a Christian knit-a-long of some kind... Perhaps a prayer shawl? I have the "Knitting For Peace" book and they have a section in there on prayer shawls. Any ideas for a pattern?

Knitting is a great time to spend learning about Jesus. Isn't it great that you just joined this lovely forum, and minutes later, you saw the Christian knitters topic? God works in mysterious ways, sometimes. That's not in the bible, I don't think, but, it is very interesting to see how God makes all things work for good, for those who love Him.
I've been wanting to do a prayer shawl!! Do you have a pattern in mind? Do you have a person, a recipient, in mind for the shawl?
I wonder if a nursing home would be a good place to give prayer shawls out.
??

Sweet
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Well, as for miracles, I have experienced one first hand. then one day, his blood counts just started changing. I don't tell those stories because it gives me warm fuzzy feelings :wink:. I do, however, very much believe that miracles are possible I understand that most people's exposure to the miraculous is through the contrived...the tele-evangelist with the tacky suit, or the traveling preacher who does "revivals" in each town. But just because someone "fakes" it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means they are a liar. And, sadly, not everyone who calls themselves a follower of Christ lives up to that name.

I also have experienced miracles, but, don't talk about them much, especially when it just wouldn't do any good to do so.
Yes, tele vangelists are such a BAD example, and most people look no further than that, to see what a Christian is supposed to be.

feministmama
04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
What a great stroy! I have heard about the healingpower of prayer. It was on 60 minutes or something that people who are prayed for in hospitals heal better/faster then people who are not. THis makes sense anyway you put it though. If people love you and give give love to you then of course you'll feel better! Common sense! So miricles are the power of love sent out in ways that heal. I like it. So lets hear it for miricles. THey are common sense magic! We need some more of that in this world these days. Maybe if we all send prayers/love to the soldiers in the middle east they'll come home faster.:thumbsup:

dustinac
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I really do believe in the power of prayer... I talk to the Lord about everything that is going on in my life and around me...I do hope the soliders get to come home soon... I pray for that and their families ...:hug:

Sometimes though God's reply isn't what we want...sometimes it's no...a lot will then say he didn't listen to me or he didn't answer me...well he did but it wasn't what you wanted to hear...I have seen some turn away from God when this happens...

I think a Christian knit a long would be fun...:yay:

as for politics...I have to say that I agree with bjc1050 :thumbsup:

evona
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Wow, it's so cool to find that I have so many Christian sisters here!

I've been a Christian for a long time, but not always a 'good person'. As Jesus said, "No one is good, except for the Father."

On a sad note, PhotoLady has been banned from this site. She wrote to me this afternoon, I wouldn't have known otherwise. Apparently, her stance on Christianity bothered some, as did her politics. Personally, when someone writes something I disagree with, I don't go running to the moderators to complain. It's just a disagreement.

If anyone would like to contact her, please let me know.

PhotoLady was banned??? What a sad turn if this is true.

I have read through the posts here and the posts in the pagan thread and I have seen nothing offensive posted by anyone at all. I actually learned a lot reading through both posts. There were a lot of questions posted by PhotoLady in the pagan thread, but I couldn't find anything offensive about them. I will admit that there were a lot of posts, so I did just skim most of them. Did I miss something?

I don't consider myself a member of any organized religion, but I do believe in a higher power and try to take the positive teachings of many religions into my heart.

bjc1050
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
How sad that Photolady has been banned.

dustinac
04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, it is true that PhotoLady was banned, however this thread was not the main reason as to why she was banned. There was a lot more than what meets the eye in this situation. Mods worked with her for awhile trying to help her, but she just wouldn't follow the guidelines (http://www.knittinghelp.com/about/guidelines). This is what led to her being banned. :hug:

CountryKitty
04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Dustin, thank you for clearing that up, it would have been upsetting to think that an open discussion of our views on religion had turned sour in some way. I'm really pleased at how civil and open this discussion has been.

evona
04-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Yes, thank you very much for clearing that up Dustina :muah: It makes me feel so much better as I feel I've learned a lot by both the religion threads going on right now and have been rather impressed and inspired by how respectful everyone has been considering how "touchy" this subject could get.

auburnchick
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that a Christian knit-a-long would be awesome!

auburnchick
04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Have y'all ever realized that there is no verse in the Bible that states that we are to ask Jesus into our hearts? This is not the way to become a Christian...
In Romans 10, it says That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
So, perhaps the people who told you that, were trying to make sure this part of the Gospel was being followed, in the path of salvation. The heart has something to do with it, according to these verses.

It is repentance that saves, not asking Jesus into our hearts. The repentance requires a change of heart, and the Holy Spirit fills us afterward, but we don't ask Jesus in to be saved. We recognize ourselves as sinners and acknowledge the work of the Savior on the cross. And we turn away from sin.

:)

get_her_donne
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
It is repentance that saves, not asking Jesus into our hearts.
:)

Can I raise a polite little question about that? Wouldn't it be Jesus who saves, not repentance? Heavens yes repentance is a nesessary part of salvation, and faith is the means...but those intangible things can't really save us from hell can they?
Not tryin to be like I'm right you're wrong, just thinking ;)

auburnchick
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Can I raise a polite little question about that? Wouldn't it be Jesus who saves, not repentance? Heavens yes repentance is a nesessary part of salvation, and faith is the means...but those intangible things can't really save us from hell can they?
Not tryin to be like I'm right you're wrong, just thinking ;)

Yes, it is Jesus who saves us...He was the sacrificial lamb that paid the price for sin.

To understand this better, go back to the Old Testament. Remember that God mandated that the High Priest sacrifice a perfect lamb one day each year to atone for the sins of the Israelites. It was the highest holy day. The Israelites looked upon that lamb as paying the price for their sins. The lamb's blood fulfilled the requirement that God demanded.

All throughout the Old Testament, the prophets foretold that a Savior would come...and the final payment for sin would be made.

That was Jesus.

Just as the Israelites looked at that lamb as payment for their sin, so we (Christians) look to Jesus as the payment for our sins.

So yes, Jesus does save. But we have to repent of our sins. That is our responsibility. Jesus already did the work, but we have to acknowledge this. We don't do anything of our own accord. The Law (the 10 Commandments) convicts us and makes us understand our fallen nature.

msoebel
04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I havent met anymore christian hippies. It seems that Newt Ginrich and some other folks using christianity to discriminate people gave it a bad name.

I wanted to answer this question yesterday, but ran out of time.

I don't think Christianity has changed since the 70s, but I do believe that Chrisitans have. We all have. The world isn't like it was back then. I think we're all a little more cynical now than we were back then. We are much more likely to believe that someone is trying to take advantage of us, than to believe that someone needs our help. And we will NOT be taken advantage of, will we?

Our culture tends to be more self-centered, and more egocentric. We're so afraid of stepping on anyone's toes that sometimes we don't want to be truthful. And then, when we get up the courage to be truthful, we often forget to do so in love.

I think the shift in churches today is simply a reflection of our society as a whole. Politicians and leaders have been using religions of all kinds since the beginning of time to serve their own agendas. Religions haven't changed much over the thousands and thousands of years. We're just much more aware of it now, thanks to the media.

It makes us all a little more cynical. I don't view it as a breakdown of Christianity. I think it's a breakdown of humanity.

It's hard for me, because so often God and Jesus get blamed for the mistakes we make. I am not perfect. I yell at bad drivers. I speak without thinking sometimes. I get impatient.

I am not always good. God is. I'm not. It's sad that He gets blamed just because I am inept.

ritaw
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
How sad that Photolady has been banned.

It is a real shame that Photolady has been banned . I am not too sure why but i know that there must have been good reason .
We recently had pm'd each other a few times and i thought she was really nice .
Thanks Dustina for posting :)

Lindsey H
04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I am a Christian. I like to pray for the recipient of my WIP. The ladies in my church are finishing up Jesus the One and Only Bible study and I am learning more about my relationship with Christ. I am trying to talk (and most importantly, listen) to him more.

Debkcs
04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Lindsey, your baby is adorable!

It seems like there are quite a few of us here who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. What a wonderful thing!

MAmaDawn
04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I love the idea of a KAL... what do we want to do?

Debkcs
04-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Dawn, I'm a slow knitter (just ask Shendah) but I'd love to join in a KAL of believers.

Would you like to have a project for an orphanage or something like that?

MAmaDawn
04-15-2008, 06:19 AM
That's a good idea, we could all knit something for an orphanage, we could pick where we wanted to send it to... Who else wants to join.... We really could just make it for any charity, homeless, hospitals, battered women shelters, teen moms home, there are lots of other ones I know... oh the men and women over seas...

colloquy
04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
It seems like there are quite a few of us here who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. What a wonderful thing!

Yes, I'm enjoying reading all of these posts, it builds up a person's strength in the Lord, to see so many positive affirmations

Debkcs
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Colloquy!

Thanks for posting here, and welcome to Knitting Help.

As a human being, I've got new challenges to face everyday, as a believer, and knowing how much God loves us, I feel His grace and comfort.

It would be nice to get to know more of our 'sisters' on KH.

colloquy
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
As a human being, I've got new challenges to face everyday, as a believer, and knowing how much God loves us, I feel His grace and comfort.

How do you face your new challenges every day? I fail miserably many times, sometimes even before I've been awake more than a couple of hours.
It's hard to be what others consider a good Christian. Very hard for me. I struggle with it, I'll be the first to admit.
Grace is another concept I don't quite grasp. My fault, I'm sure.

auburnchick
04-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't think there's any such thing as a "good" Christian. We are all sinners. Some of us have repented and accepted Christ's atoning work on the cross. However, that doesn't make us stop being human. We still have our sinful nature to contend with.

Keeping in the Word and staying in touch with other Christians helps keep us accountable.

It's a struggle we will face all of our lives, though.

bjc1050
04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
How do you face your new challenges every day? I fail miserably many times, sometimes even before I've been awake more than a couple of hours.
It's hard to be what others consider a good Christian. Very hard for me. I struggle with it, I'll be the first to admit.
Grace is another concept I don't quite grasp. My fault, I'm sure.

To me grace is God's inclination to overlook some of our offenses....to not be offended too easily....an aspect of patience and long suffering....forgiving trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. I'm sure this is a limited understanding, but it's a start.

Shandeh
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
God's
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense

Debkcs
05-01-2008, 03:46 AM
Grace is totally unearned by us. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, to save a wretch like me!"

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Shandeh
05-01-2008, 03:55 AM
One of my favorite verses is the one that talks about how His strength is made perfect in weakness. When I am weak, He is strong.

Debkcs
05-01-2008, 04:03 AM
2Cr 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Hey Sandy! I went to www.blueletterbible.com and typed in 'strength is made perfect' and it gave me the verse. I find BLB very helpful, and it's free.

BTW, I'm really jazzed, as of today, I'm a singer in a small praise band! We need a soprano, as I'm a very low alto, but whoohoo! I've been wanting to do this for a very long time.

Pat in Ca
05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Just found this thread.. need to read thru the whole thing, but I just love learning about everyone's favorite Bible Verses.. I have been a Christian all my life but am not a "Bible Scholar" Whenever I try to sit down and read it, I feel like I don't understand a lot of it ..that site sounds like a great resourse.. www.blueletterbible.com I'm gonna check it out.. Keep this thread going!

Shandeh
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Pat :waving:
I'm really jazzed, as of today, I'm a singer in a small praise band!...........I've been wanting to do this for a very long time.
Congratulations! :hug:

Jan in CA
05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't belong in this thread, but my daughter sent me this today and it's adorable! I thought you all would get a kick out of it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4PQ30VkBk

Pat in Ca
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
You don't have to be Christian to appreciate that video! Very cute..

dmknits
05-01-2008, 05:15 PM
That is so cute!!!!

auburnchick
05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Jan! That was just adorable!

I used to sing several praise songs to my daughter as I rocked her to sleep, and she could sing several. Too bad I never got it on video...

This brought back sweet memories.

Shandeh
05-03-2008, 01:15 PM
My boys used to love to sing Christian songs too. They were so cute. I didn't have a video camera back then, but I have some cassettes. :heart:

Debkcs
05-04-2008, 02:47 AM
My Mother is ill, and I will be leaving for California in the morning. I'm making it sound like a long trip, it's only 14 hours, but I don't want to go.

However, I can't leave my brother alone in all of this, so off I go.

Those of you who pray, please pray that I have the ability to deal with her in a loving, gentle manner. Not like we were raised, but much, much better.

Hopefully I'll be able to get online and say 'hi' once in awhile.

Jeremy
05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
The very best of luck to you in your trip. I hope you are successful in all aspects. You are in my prayers.

auburnchick
05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I'll be praying...

Shandeh
05-05-2008, 02:37 PM
:pray:

Yesterday, we had a SUPER BUSY day at church. We were recognizing "Ascension Day", so I was playing big pieces on the piano and organ. I was wiped out after the service, and took a 4 hour nap when I got home.

I'm not as young as I used to be. :teehee:

Rennagayle
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I haven't had a chance to read the forums in awhile, but, as a fellow believer, I was pleased to discover this thread today. :)

I believe it is essential to repent of sin and by faith receive the finished work of Christ by confessing Him as Lord with our mouth and believing it in our heart.

I also believe, that repenting of sin is repenting of our sinful nature. We will continue to sin. Upon salvation, I believe our spirit is sealed unto redemption. Whether I die today, or 30 years from now, I haven't a doubt in the world that my spirit will go to Heaven.

My soul, which is made up of my mind, will, and emotions is still of a fleshly nature. I will spend the rest of my life getting my soul saved. By the renewing of my mind, through prayer and reading and studying God's Word, I will become more Christlike.

We as believers are all on a journey and are at different places in that journey. There are young people, only saved a few years, who may be farther along than some elderly people who were saved 50 years ago.

Growing in Christ won't make God love us any more than what He already does, but by the renewing of our minds, it helps us in our journey here. It determines whether we will be fruitful, and how effective we will be in drawing others to Christ.