PDA

View Full Version : Simple items used as knitting supplies

knovice
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Okay, sometimes I'm cheap. I mean, not when I'm buying yarn... I'll spend almost anything on really good yarn. And needles. I've got myself a healthy Lantern Moon addiction to supplement the whole Knit Picks Options thang...

But sometimes I see knitting notions on the shelves at the LYS store and realize that they're disturbingly similar to other, cheaper supplies that can be got at the drugstore or Target or similar...

So here are some of my finds:

-Teeny-tiny rubber bands that are made to hold tiny sections of hair for braiding or whatnot make great stitch markers and are also useful for holding sets of straight needles or dpns together, either when not in use or during a project (wrapped around the tips so the stitches don't slide off).

-Also in the hair aisle: You can buy mini-sized hair clips in packs of a whole bunch for cheap and use them to hold your WIP together for stitching. They come in lots of sizes, depending on your yarn thickness.

-Foam-backed posterboard is great for blocking on ($4-5 each). You can cover it in towels if you're blocking really wet stuff, and it's easy to score measuring lines into if you want that. I have four of them, which, set together, make a large enough blocking space for even an afghan. Then they slide behind the bookshelf or whatever for easy storage.

-snack-size ziplocks for holding groups of notions (stitch markers, tapestry needles, what-have-you) in my bigger knitting notions bag -- which is one of those free-gift makeup bags from somewhere.

So... anyone else found inexpensive things that work well as knitting notions? Do share!

wingem
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I use a clicker/counter thingy, I think it is some sort of electrical connection that counts something :roflhard: It is really hard to explain but I'm pretty sure it is electrical. I think I found it when we were moving in my DH tool box. But anyway I use it to count rows. Works great! :woot:

katknit
04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I've got a few ideas on my blog:
bobbins: http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2007/08/25/knitting-tips-bobbins/

sock blockers: http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=292

circular needle storage:
http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=383

snowbear
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I bought one of those fold out cardboard cutting board. It's marked byinches and qrids, etc. I opened up some trash bags to cover it, white ones. I lay the trash bags over the cardboard. This way I can see through it, using the lines on the cutting board. So for about 8 bucks on sale, I have a blocking board. It folds back up in the plastic case it came in, along with the folded up trash bags, and is about an inch wide. It slips into the closet for the next time.

evona
04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
I use a canvas bag I bought from my favorite local Farmer's Market information booth for $5 a long time ago as my knitting bag. It's big and has extra pockets inside for little items, extra needles, etc. :)

knovice
04-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I love those ideas! And I think you just saved me spending about $60 on sock blockers for the family.

Indygirl
04-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I use the plastic tooth brush holder's to hold my dpn's. I get the white or clear ones. I use a marker to mark the size on the outside. I have one for each size, works great.
Sm. costmetic bag for my little knitting goodies.

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Those are good ideas. I'm new and a bit of a junkie so I'm still looking at all of the "stuff" there is for knitting and wanting it all.

Alyce
04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
That's me in a nutshell. When I started knitting again I went hog wild on Ebay buying needles. I have needles and knitting notions galore and want more. I love it!!!

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but I'm on Unemployment right now! Gotta watch it. I have been being good. I was, anyway, until last night when I ordered bamboo yarn. I got a deal, though!

Alyce
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Have you tried it yet. I am knitting a summer sweater in bamboo yarn and I love it. It is so soft!

Cynamar
04-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I ordered it last night and chose the cheapest shipping, so it will be a few days. I probably won't start anything with it right away. It's this https://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/pages/3218/Bamboo_Buy_The_Bag.htm in Esquire.

Skater
04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I use:

The little plastic boxes that cough drops (e.g., Sucrets) are sold in to hold a large number of stitch markers.
Medication containers to hold blocking T pins, beads, stitch holders. They stay closed.

mwhite
04-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Since I had to buy curtains this year for the house, I saved those wonderful plastic bags with zippers for storing my WIPs. Since we also sell bimini boat tops at our shop and online, I save those large, zippered bags...great for storing large WIPs like afghans and sweaters.

gingerbread
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I use all the tins I can find. I also use the plastic boxes that some gum come in. The best one is from my husband. They are a little bottle that his test papers for his diabetic meter. One is for my tee pins and so on all the little things that get lost. :thumbsup:

:waving:

VictoiseC
04-05-2008, 04:49 PM
These are great ideas! Can't wait to try them out! I can only think of one of mine: I use my pretty flower vases to hold my large needles so I always have a "bouquet" of needles somewhere in the house. I love to look at them!

Skater
04-05-2008, 05:26 PM
These are great ideas! Can't wait to try them out! I can only think of one of mine: I use my pretty flower vases to hold my large needles so I always have a "bouquet" of needles somewhere in the house. I love to look at them!I have a "bouquet" of needles, too (in a glass pitcher)!

Indygirl
04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a "bouquet" of needles, too (in a glass pitcher)! Me too! Although I don't use the straights anymore. They look nice in my knitting room.

knovice
04-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I use:

The little plastic boxes that cough drops (e.g., Sucrets) are sold in to hold a large number of stitch markers.
Medication containers to hold blocking T pins, beads, stitch holders. They stay closed.

Ooh! We have some Altoids in the house! Must save the Altoids boxes!!!!

KnittinMitchie
04-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I am the QUEEN of using zip top bags to store stuff. The sandwich sized one I get come 100ct to box and I reuse them over and over. Plus I keep my DPNs in a zip lock bag. They are sorted by size with some needle minders and the larger ones with rubber bands.

Mulderknitter
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Because I also sew, I have made all of my own knitting bags. Nothing fancy, but all sizes from small sock progress to large afghan progress. If you sew it works out great because you can find awesome deals on fabric at local thrift stores ( I got a bolt of apholstery fabric for $2) and you can customize to fit your project needs. I have also made my own needle holders, which is great too to customize.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture072.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture071.jpg

campbellmom549
04-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Such great ideas! So many I'll definitely be using.

I just bought the perfect knitting bag at Target for $15. It's a purse, but it's perfect. Hard flat bottom, wider at the top than the bottom, holds itself open, one pocket perfect for notions, one for dpns and crochet hooks, one for circular needles. And super cute. It's fabulous.

Cynamar
04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Sounds great! You should show us a picture. The first thing I started when I started knitting was a knitting bag. It's wool and I want to felt it. It's huge right now!

princesstadpole
04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
These are great ideas!! I am in search of a house hold item to use as point protectors. I have a tons of needles and don't really want to spend 4 bucks for 4.

tokmom
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
These are great ideas!! I am in search of a house hold item to use as point protectors. I have a tons of needles and don't really want to spend 4 bucks for 4.

Me too. I bought some in different sizes. They are so expensive. I always seem to lose them too.

tokmom
04-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I use large safety pins as stitch holders. I put stitch markers on them to color code them if I need too.

princesstadpole
04-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I actually thought of something. If you are able to find different sized corks. I actually have a collection of wine corks that I am going to use.

Cynamar
04-06-2008, 11:58 PM
And you can sniff them while you work.

knovice
04-07-2008, 03:03 AM
You can always line them up, side-by-side, and wrap a rubber band around the tips a few times. Or do as I do, live a little dangerously, slide the knitting to the other end and stab the points into your ball of yarn.

LovelyLinda
04-07-2008, 07:23 AM
I also do quilting from time to time so I've made myself a large quilted tote bag which is great for carrying my WIP. I also use the free makeup bags that I've collected over the years to store my knitting notions. I don't have that many needles yet, but I like the ziplock bag idea for circulars.

There are some great ideas in this thread.:notworthy:

katknit
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Beautiful bags, Mulderknitter!
:yay:

amy
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Ooh, fun thread!

My fav. cheap Stitch holders: safety pins (especially coil-less, these are fantastic and extremely handy), a drinking straw cut into thin sections, a knotted loop of yarn when in a pinch.

I collect old fashioned picnic baskets (from yard sales and flea markets) for some of my yarn storage. They are beautiful, portable, stackable, and the lids keep the dust out! (I've also got one next to the couch with a surge protector in it. I use it to contain the mass of electrical cables, for lap-tops etc. I LOVE it.)

I make my own small DPN's for cabling (as in my video on tips page, I prefer them to other types).

hmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment....

Mulder, that's a lovely needle roll!
Princesstadbole, what are the corks used for? Somehow I missed that, I'm intrigued.
Katknit, your links didn't work for me... love to see them.

VictoiseC
04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Ohhh I love the drinking straw idea Miss Amy! That's one I'll use.

MULDERKNITTER I just love that bag! I've been meaning to make one for YEARS but I get intimidated when I read through the pattern in the Stitch n'Bitch book so I never do it. I'm going to have to try harder. Their pattern is slanted like, so that's what I"m not sure about.

Mulderknitter
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Ohhh I love the drinking straw idea Miss Amy! That's one I'll use.

MULDERKNITTER I just love that bag! I've been meaning to make one for YEARS but I get intimidated when I read through the pattern in the Stitch n'Bitch book so I never do it. I'm going to have to try harder. Their pattern is slanted like, so that's what I"m not sure about.
Thank you! That is actually my dpn holder. It rolls up. All of my sewing is self taught, so I just winged it so to speak.
In a nutshell:
lay out dpns in groups on piece of fabric to figure out how much you need to cut.
cut one piece of fabric tall enough to hold dpns and have them not stick out, cut one piece of fabric about half that tall to be able to see the dpns when unrolled.
stitch both pieces together along sides and bottom
seam the "pockets" for the dpns at regular intervals for the amount of sizes of dpns
roll up and hand sew a ribbon at a point on the roll and wrap around, tie, voila!

kindermen
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Bought a vitamin holder @ GNC and it is PERFECT for hand made stitch markers. Has 6 small compartments that hold 6 sets of markers.

tropicallie
04-08-2008, 02:56 AM
I use a kids pencil holder pouch for my knitting accessories. It has a clear window so I can see and grab what I need without rooting around. Sometimes if I'm going to be knitting outside, I'll put my ball of yarn in a big plastic cup that has a handle and a lid. The lid has a wedge shaped hole for the yarn to go through (this is actually the part you're suppose to drink thru). Keeps dirt and bugs out of the yarn and is pretty handy to carry around. Both items I got at Wally for $1 ea. For knitting in the car, I was always worried that my knitting bag would get wet, dirty or whatever sitting on the floor next to my feet so I bought a clear plastic purse (about 12x12) that will hold about 3 balls of yarn and my wip along with my pencil/knitting pouch with room to spare. Cost $10.

kaidyddd
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I found these at the hardware store. Welcome to Viewtainer (http://www.viewtainer.com/)

The six inch size is perfect for dpn's and my skinny Lion Brand needle sizer/6 in. ruler and I have a couple of the shortest ones for my safety pins and other stitch markers. Cheap, colorful and unbreakable. The are more color choices online than were at my hardware store.

Kaidy

KnittinMitchie
04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
I have a very large bag I bought forever and a day ago that I've been carrying as a knitting bag. Its cream colored with draw strings. I think I only paid $10-$20 for the thing. Its a crochet style bag and will hold 3 big skeins of red heart yarn. It has a little zipper and I can put a small pair of folding scissors, some sts markers, or any thing else I need for the project I'm working on.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2398602540_f0aa9f836d.jpg?v=1207658020

At home sitting next to my desk I have an organizer geared more for scrap booking than knitting, but it works. I got this at Hobby Lobby for $20 on sale after Christmas. LOL Went back last month and bought the tiny one for my desk for $8.

It has all kinds of little pocket or storage spaces. the top is open and I have my 14" needle case along with my KP Options binder. it has a little pocket in the front that I keep my Chibi needles in. There is even a "drawer" on the bottom. I store stuff that I don't need every day like bobbins and pom pom makers. I even keep my "good" stitch markers there too.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2397772625_581a0d95ef.jpg?v=1207657955