PDA

View Full Version : when death hits... what a week

VictoiseC
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I just spent the weirdest day walking around and looking at people's faces. Trying not to get depressed. Earlier this week my MIL fell and broke her femur and while we were worrying about that and her getting through the surgery (with many of your well wishes)
on Friday morning my husband's boss died. Just Can't Believe It.

Well, my DH can coz he watched him drinking over the past years and crashing his car, falling off chairs, breaking his nose last weekend.
No wonder my DH has had so many serious migraines for a year.

This man was only in his 50s and a well known figure in the computer world, internationally even. 2 children and a loving wife. What a mess alcohol can bring on. It's funny, when you go out into this city (NY) there is just no one to talk to ... no one. I'm so glad I can come here and read everyone's stuff and, well it made me feel much better. I just find myself getting so angry that a person can throw their life away so easily... you can't make someone get help that's for sure. Whew.

auburnchick
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
:hug:

dustinac
04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

Sewing Angel
04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
So sorry. Some weeks, well you'd just like to forget they ever happened. Hope your MIL is doing better.
Angel

HamaLee
04-05-2008, 07:07 PM
:hug::heart::grphug:

feministmama
04-05-2008, 10:34 PM

knitgal
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm so sorry :hug:
It is wonderful to be able to come here and get the support you need though. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dangles
04-06-2008, 12:38 AM

Doodknitwit
04-06-2008, 01:01 AM
we choose our path even knowing that it is hard to witness the results of a person's actions on those left behind..

wish you MIL a complete recovery.

stitchwitch
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, what a week! I hope your MIL is doing better. Hope things are better this week for you all. :hug:

cheley
04-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I just spent the weirdest day walking around and looking at people's faces. Trying not to get depressed. Earlier this week my MIL fell and broke her femur and while we were worrying about that and her getting through the surgery (with many of your well wishes)
on Friday morning my husband's boss died. Just Can't Believe It.

Well, my DH can coz he watched him drinking over the past years and crashing his car, falling off chairs, breaking his nose last weekend.
No wonder my DH has had so many serious migraines for a year.

This man was only in his 50s and a well known figure in the computer world, internationally even. 2 children and a loving wife. What a mess alcohol can bring on. It's funny, when you go out into this city (NY) there is just no one to talk to ... no one. I'm so glad I can come here and read everyone's stuff and, well it made me feel much better. I just find myself getting so angry that a person can throw their life away so easily... you can't make someone get help that's for sure. Whew. :hug: Wow, this is the weirdest thing...Last night I watched "Reign on Me" with Adam Sandler, I got the impression(from the movie) that there are so many people in the city (NY) that don't talk...lots of inner thoughts going on (9-11) I have never been to the city (NY) but it's funny how that terrible event will never be forgotten and people carry it with them daily:grphug:

Knit4Fun
04-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Sending you big hugs and lots of love... :hug:

Debkcs
04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Part of being a nurse in a psychiatric unit is watching people destroy themselves with alchohol and drugs. No matter what interventions the family and medical community try, there are just some that don't want to be 'cured'. They give lip service to it, to get family off their backs, but alcohol has too big a grip on them. Not the family's fault, not your husbands fault. Poor man, maybe the migraines will abate now, somewhat.

Hope your MIL makes a swift recovery. I'll say a prayer for the family your husbands boss left behind.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Pat in Ca
04-06-2008, 04:56 PM
It is so hard to watch someone destroy themselves...a helpless feeling.. my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

CountryKitty
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Alcoholism runs in DH's family. After nearly 20 years away from his home state he returned to visit...alcohol had taken such a toll on 2 of his uncles that he didn't recognize them. One died just a few years later, mostly from the effects of years of alcoholism.

Hugs to you, and pass one on to your poor DH--it must've been Hell to watch someone destroy himself in excrutiatingly slow motion.

tokmom
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
So sad, you are right. Alcoholism destroys lives.

msoebel
04-07-2008, 10:31 AM
It's painful to watch someone destroy their potential, their families and their lives because of something that just isn't important.

It's hard to deal with their aftermath when it's finally over.

I hope that your mil makes a quick recovery, and for some peace in your life for awhile.

VictoiseC
04-07-2008, 12:57 PM
:hug: Wow, this is the weirdest thing...Last night I watched "Reign on Me" with Adam Sandler, I got the impression(from the movie) that there are so many people in the city (NY) that don't talk...lots of inner thoughts going on (9-11) I have never been to the city (NY) but it's funny how that terrible event will never be forgotten and people carry it with them daily:grphug:

That's interesting. Sometimes I wish I could create a special place in town where people could go to talk more. Across the street is this Cosi sandwich place, oh heck there's bunches around town, and you walk in and there are these zombie-like people all staring at their computers, no one talking to each other. It's nuts. When I lived in London the corner pub was this amazing place to talk to everyone from 20 to 90 and I did. I loved that. Well.... it is true though about NYC, people do not talk to each other.

TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, thanks so much!

DEBKCS: My DH's boss.... his wife is a nurse. And she couldn't stop him. This man was so smart too, god, severalpatents on things he created, went to astronaut school when he was young. A really admired man until these past few years.

Ok! THANK YOU AGAIN!!! :muah:

cheley
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
That's interesting. Sometimes I wish I could create a special place in town where people could go to talk more. Across the street is this Cosi sandwich place, oh heck there's bunches around town, and you walk in and there are these zombie-like people all staring at their computers, no one talking to each other. It's nuts. When I lived in London the corner pub was this amazing place to talk to everyone from 20 to 90 and I did. I loved that. Well.... it is true though about NYC, people do not talk to each other.

TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, thanks so much!

DEBKCS: My DH's boss.... his wife is a nurse. And she couldn't stop him. This man was so smart too, god, severalpatents on things he created, went to astronaut school when he was young. A really admired man until these past few years.

Ok! THANK YOU AGAIN!!! :muah: Yea, I have to "admit" most people in my town aren't usually talkative..however, when I vacationed in Venice, everyone socialized in the "corner cafe".. must of been the spritzers/espresso in the a.m.!!!!!!:muah:

knittingymnast
04-12-2008, 11:20 AM

annikah
04-13-2008, 09:29 AM
:hug: big hug for you