PDA

View Full Version : Magknits Gone - Solution to getting Patterns not yet reposted!

Krystal
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
*sigh* Is this karma? bad luck? I don't know. I cast on for a pattern yesterday and got a few inches in, and didn't bother saving the pattern to my desktop... I went to go do that today so I could print it out and sit and knit all day, and my pattern is gone... gone gone gone.

:shock:

I go to Magknits and am greeted by this (http://www.magknits.com). I feel like I want to cry right now. I was really excited to knit this cardigan, and it's the first one I looked at and really liked. I haven't knit in months and I was so excited to get home today so I could sit and knit... Guess that ain't going to happen.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Kalaidoscope cardigan pattern from magknits? :pray:

I understand the reasoning, free stuff can mean alot of effort for no payoff for people.... But I really wish I had some kind of warning or something... :pout:

It also seems like I am doomed, as this has happened to a couple patterns... Even when I had them saved to desktop, they would either become corrupt, or my computer crashed and when I would go to get the pattern online... long gone... I'm a jinx to patterns. I swear.

----
edit: I changed the name of the topic to better reflect the turn of the conversation... Also to help steer people who can't find their patterns in the right direction.

If you need a pattern that was on Mag Knits and has not been reposted by the designer, just read THIS POST (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1092997&postcount=18) to find out how to get it.

debb
04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh bother, I got in the habit of just bookmarking and not printing out every pattern I liked. I'm going to try the wayback machine on some of my bookmarks, but I can't seem to get into that site right now.

Perhaps ravelry would be able to get the designers to post their patterns and tag them with a magknits tag?

redheadrachel
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
lol Yep I saw it today when I wanted to double the Snicket Sock cable. And I seriously thought,
Oh well. That's just one more disappointment from Magknits... lol Magknits and I are not getting along in these past few months.

Krystal
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Ohh yes, learn your lesson through me. I assure you it's no fun to be clicking a link expecting to be happily knitting away only to find a 404.

the designer was listed on ravelry with the pattern so I PM'd her, and asked if she would mind posting the pattern or sending it to me... all so graciously of course...

and then like 10 min AFTER I messaged her I had an epiphany... caching.

I googled the pattern and then viewed the cached page. Voila there is the pattern... I feel bad for bugging her now... But maybe now she knows people will want the pattern and will post it elsewhere... Help out another knitter who sees the pictures on ravelry and wishes they could knit it.

Krystal
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
lol Yep I saw it today when I wanted to double the Snicket Sock cable. And I seriously thought,
Oh well. That's just one more disappointment from Magknits... lol Magknits and I are not getting along in these past few months.

If you were trying to access the pattern Rachel, you can get it here (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:F27m25nIyTMJ:www.magknits.com/Sept06/patterns/snicket.htm+Magknits+snicket+sock&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a)

I hope that helps you. I am SO glad their pages were cached... Sometimes caching doesn't get me what I need.... But it did in this case.

Jax3303
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
It sucks that magknits is gone now, but since Kerri was not able to reasonably fulfill her business obligations, I’m glad she cut down. Maybe now she can concentrate on paying the designers what she owes and finally fulfill the orders/replacements/refunds she needs to.

lactosefree
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I had an epiphany... caching. I googled the pattern and then viewed the cached page. Voila there is the pattern...

You just about saved me! I just bought 35 skeins of comfy yarn from Knit Picks to make an afghan on Mag Knits and never thought I'd have to print it until I started.

Yay for your brilliant thinking! I just printed it from the cached file.

Krystal
04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
You just about saved me! I just bought 35 skeins of comfy yarn from Knit Picks to make an afghan on Mag Knits and never thought I'd have to print it until I started.

Yay for your brilliant thinking! I just printed it from the cached file.

Oh I am so glad I could help you find your pattern.

I am glad that Keri is on to a better position that will suit her time wise and financially... No one should be bound by obligation... especially if it isn't fun anymore.

Maybe I missed the warning that the site was closing, if so, that's my problem... but I didn't see any indications at all, so I am disappointed in how this was handled... it seemed a little abrupt.

scout52
04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh crapola. I had planned to do a couple of patterns and now i can't. ughhh because i didn't print. i will do the cache search to see if i can find them that way. thanks for letting us know that the site is now down.

Jax3303
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh I am so glad I could help you find your pattern.

I am glad that Keri is on to a better position that will suit her time wise and financially... No one should be bound by obligation... especially if it isn't fun anymore.

Maybe I missed the warning that the site was closing, if so, that's my problem... but I didn't see any indications at all, so I am disappointed in how this was handled... it seemed a little abrupt.

there was no warning, not even to the designers who were published in the April issue. Kerri got called out on ravelry for not paying her designers and for customers who ordered from her hipknits site never getting their orders (and never getting refunds or promised replacements). People called her on her excuses. So now we have no magknits, but like I said above, hopefully this will allow Kerri the time to fulfill what she owes people.

iza
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
For those on ravelry, there are a few threads on this in the "needlework on the net" forum. I didn't read everything but well, it seems things got a bit ugly between some designers, some customers of HipKnits and the owner of Hipknits/MagKnits... :pout:

Ravelry is a great and awesome tool, but with the number of designers, knitters, dyers and spinners that can be found there, sometimes it creates a situation where people try to solve their purchase/payment problems on the forums. :shrug: I don't think it's the appropriate place to do that, but I guess these people didn't have any other choice... :shrug:

Jen17
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi,
I have never heard of "cached files" can you explain what they are and how I can access them?
Thanks,
Jen

PCwombat
04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I really don't know the technical logistics, but pages on the Internet often get saved (sort of) at different times. So, you can access a page that was deleted through its saved or cached page. Here's the easiet way to find a page you want.
http://www.archive.org/index.php It's the Way Back Machine, just put your link in there.

Sajomaro
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I too was just about to start a pattern from MagKnits. Thanks Krystal for the tip about cached sites. I noticed you don't get images when you do it that way. Good thing the pattern doesn't have a chart.

BTW - A thread has been started on Ravelry's Needlework on the Net forum requesting Magknits designers link to their patterns new location. There are already a few that have and I'm sure more will as soon as they get it set up.

mwedzi
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Aw, it's too bad it had to end this way without even a warning for the designers. I feel especially bad for this month's designers. But with how it blew up on Ravelry, it's not surprising.

Cynamar
04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I save every pdf pattern that I even remotely like. I wish every pattern online was pdf! Seriously. That's too handy. If I run across one that I can't live without that isn't pdf I copy/paste it in an email and save it as a draft until I can print it or have time to put it in Word.

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 11:55 PM
BTW - A thread has been started on Ravelry's Needlework on the Net forum requesting Magknits designers link to their patterns new location. There are already a few that have and I'm sure more will as soon as they get it set up.

It's here - http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/needlework-on-the-net/156996

Krystal
04-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi,
I have never heard of "cached files" can you explain what they are and how I can access them?
Thanks,
Jen

It doesn't work for EVERY site, but a cache is basically like a peek BACK... so if a site is cancelled today you can view the 'cached' page. Usually the links and pictures with not load, but the text will... If a site changes it's layout but the cache wasn't updated yet, and you viewed the cached page, it will look like the old design, with or without the graphics if they are there...

To get my pattern I just went to google and typed "Magknits Kaleidoscope" (the name of the site and name of the pattern) and the first link was the one I needed.

here is screencap of what I mean...

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/krystal_pare/Knitting/cache.png

instead of clicking on the obvious link, you would click the "cached" link. For me, my cached page looks like this (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:UvlAU8DhrYQJ:www.magknits.com/Sept07/patterns/kaleidoscope.htm+Magknits+kaleidoscope&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a) no pictures, but the text is still in tact so I could copy the pattern.

The Way Back Machine is a website that is all about past versions of websites, but they don't always have what I am looking for. I find googling it works easier for me... if I couldn't find it that way, I'd check out the way back machine.

---

I too was just about to start a pattern from MagKnits. Thanks Krystal for the tip about cached sites. I noticed you don't get images when you do it that way. Good thing the pattern doesn't have a chart.

Your welcome, I am glad I could help you. I'm glad some of the designers got their stuff up so quick. :D

----

Aw, it's too bad it had to end this way without even a warning for the designers. I feel especially bad for this month's designers. But with how it blew up on Ravelry, it's not surprising.

I totally agree, it really is a shame. I don't read the forums on Ravelry much at all, so I didn't see any of the blow up... It's too bad that it had to go that route.

----

I save every pdf pattern that I even remotely like. I wish every pattern online was pdf! Seriously. That's too handy. If I run across one that I can't live without that isn't pdf I copy/paste it in an email and save it as a draft until I can print it or have time to put it in Word.

That's a good habit to have. I am definitely going to do that from now on. Thanks.

boo1
04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Can't the authors of the patterns publish them elsewhere, even for a small fee? That would be better than having them all disappear.

Sure would have been nice to have some heads-up on this.

Laura

Banrion
04-09-2008, 07:31 AM
For those of you who like PDF's, you can download this Freeware, Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp), and make a PDF of anything you want, webpages, word documents, e-mails. Anything you can print can be turned into a PDF.

momwolf
04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
For those of you who like PDF's, you can download this Freeware, Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp), and make a PDF of anything you want, webpages, word documents, e-mails. Anything you can print can be turned into a PDF.
Thanks !! This is sooooo cool!!!

suzeeq
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Can't the authors of the patterns publish them elsewhere, even for a small fee? That would be better than having them all disappear.

Laura

As they hear about the closure of the site, many of them are linking them to ravelry, or on their blogs for free. It may take a little while for some of them to do so though.

Krystal
04-09-2008, 05:29 PM

Laura

I am sure most if not all the designers will be putting their patterns up themselves... Some already have. Until then tho, at least we figured out a way to get the patterns, through cached pages.

----

Thanks for the tip! That's great!

Simply_Renee
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I am bummed about this too- I've had several in my queue.

When you get the cached page, what do you save it as? Or do you just need to print it?

Krystal
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

When you get the cached page, what do you save it as? Or do you just need to print it?

I just highlight the text that I need and then copy and save it to notepad on my computer.

You can print it if you want.

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a pdf thing on my desktop but it's not online. Julianne's laptop is MAC and the word processor thing is different and stuff doesn't trnsport well from hers to mine. On mine I would copy/paste to a word processor. I've been copy/pasting and emailing it to myself. I do love pdf's!

redheadrachel
04-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Couldn't she have given, like, a week's notice or anything? :(

MAmaDawn
04-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Download the program from the link that Banrion gave here....

Then when you have the page open go to file-print-select from your print window CUTE PDF. It won't print it to your printer, but "prints" (saves) it to PDF. Just choose where you want it and name it. Then you can open it with Adobe whenever you need it.