PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting instructions :)

Grannylocks
04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Can someone pls help me w/this row? *k1, p1, k1,*p into front & then back of next st, k1 (p1,k1) TWICE; REP FROM * TO LAST 4 STS, *P INTO FRONT & THEN BACK OF NEXT ST, L1, P1, K1. What I don't understand is how many times am I supposed to p into frnt & back of next st? what does the "twice" apply to? I'm sure it is simple - when you know how to interpret knittingese:) Any help would be appreciated. If I can get past this one row - I';; just have 11 more inches to knit and then I will be finished with this ***sweater**!!:woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanx

Glox

of troy
04-09-2008, 09:13 PM
ok, break it down. (it is long and confusing!)

*k1, p1, k1,*p into front & then back of next st, k1 (p1,k1) TWICE; REP FROM * TO LAST 4 STS, *P INTO FRONT & THEN BACK OF NEXT ST, L1, P1, K1. (this is supposed to be a K, right?)

lets start with the asterics..
*k1, p1, k1,
*p into front & then back of next st, k1 (p1,k1) TWICE;
REP FROM * TO LAST 4 STS, *

P INTO FRONT & THEN BACK OF NEXT ST, K1, P1, K1.

not much help-

lets make some more changes--i've added the changes in color.. and mostly what i did ws replace some of the * with { and [ brackets to make the groups easier to see.

*k1, p1, k1,

{p into front & then back of next st, k1 [p1,k1]TWICE}
--REP (directions in brackets) TO LAST 4 STS,

P INTO FRONT & THEN BACK OF NEXT ST, L1, P1, K1.

so in (in english sort of).....
you start the row (and end the row) with K1, P1, K1

and in the 'center' you increase. How?
P F&B, k1, the (p1, k1, p1, k1)

you then repeat the "increase pattern" till there are 4 stitches left,
make 1 last increase, and end with k1, p1, k1.

(that last increase has only 3 stitches after it, instead of 5)

does that make more sense?

Grannylocks
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Troy - I think I understand what you mean - I just didn't think there would be that many increases in the collar. There are 62 stitches - 12 1/2 inches long all k1, p1 ribbing then comes the odd row - and it seems like it will make the collar fan out too much - I've requested help from LION Brand too - as it is their pattern I'm using so we will see if the two of you agree:) thanks so much for resopnding to me so quickly - I'm a visual learner and sometimes instructions just don't do it for me.

suzeeq
04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
*k1, p1, k1,*p into front & then back of next st, k1 (p1,k1) TWICE; REP FROM * TO LAST 4 STS

I think there's too many *s in there - the first 3 sts are the edge sts, then pfb, k1, p1, k1, p1,k1, then repeat from the pfb. And when you have 4 sts left....

*P INTO FRONT & THEN BACK OF NEXT ST, L1, P1, K1.

... pfb, L1 (I think that's a typo for k1) p1, k1 in the last 4 sts. That makes the end of the row match the beginning of it.
Is there a link for the pattern?

Grannylocks
04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
to: Of Troy and Suzeeq - Thanks for your input :) I recd a response from Lion Brand and Wahla!! They said the instructions were WRONG! No wonder I couldn't figure out what they wanted. There were too many * in the directions. The correct instructions are: Next Row (RS): *K1, p1, k1, p into front and then back of next st, k1 (p1, k1) twice; rep from * to last 4
sts, p into front and then back of next st, k1, p1, k1.

You are repeating from the * so you are increasing multiple times.

(p1, k1) twice...the term twice refers to what is in the parentheses.

So - both of you had the right idea - good thinking. and thanx again for responses.

Now I can finish the sweater as it is a birthday gift for my daughter and her bdy was Jan 19 :) but we still have cold weather so she will appreciate it now and in the future.

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Lion is pretty bad at having typos in their patterns. Glad you can move ahead.