PDA

View Full Version : crunchy chickpeas

Lindsey H
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Has anyone tried these. They are really good. Basically, you drain and rinse the chickpeas, toss them in oil and seasoning and cook them at 400 until they rattle when you shake the cookie sheet you are cooking them on. You can google "crunchy chickpeas" to get more specifics. I have found that you need to add more seasoning than you think you need and you have to shake the pan around in the oven about every 5 minutes so they cook evenly. I have made these several times and my picky 3yo ds who has a number of food allergies LOVES them. We call them "crunchies". I just use oil, salt and pepper to keep it simple but they are quite tasty.

mare-nitt
04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks, I will have to try them.

VictoiseC
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks! That sounds really great, I happen to love chickpeas so I have to try this. There's a restaurant (Mario Batali) here in town that when you walk in he always serves for free warm bread with a chick pea mash on top, just olive oil and garlic and not pureed too much. I'm making that tonight so your recipe caught my eye!

cheley
04-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks! That sounds really great, I happen to love chickpeas so I have to try this. There's a restaurant (Mario Batali) here in town that when you walk in he always serves for free warm bread with a chick pea mash on top, just olive oil and garlic and not pureed too much. I'm making that tonight so your recipe caught my eye! Wow..skip the "chickpea recipe"...I would love to have Mario's restaurant "right in town"..Best our city offers is Bucca Dipeppo's:aww: (although have I enjoyed authentic Italian Cuisine in Venice).....

jess_hawk
04-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Never had crunchy chickpeas, but had chickpeas with pasta the other day as poor college student fare - we put boiled/drained pasta on a plate, covered in chickpeas, and then poured a jar of spaghetti sauce over it. It was really good, which I wasn't expecting as I've only had chickpeas in soup!
I will have to try cooking with them more often.
Thanks!

tootie44
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
That sounds really interesting! I will have to try it!

Sewing Angel
04-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm going to make these tomorrow. They look really good. I make roasted pumpkin seeds all of the time. This will be another good snack.
Angel

Doublereeder2
04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
They sound yummy! I will add a can to my list when I head to the grocery store today. Thanks for sharing this one :-)

lelvsdgs
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a good healthy snack! Especially if you use Olive Oil... I'll have to pick some chickpeas up next time I hit the grocery store.

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Sounds good. I don't usually eat chickpeas but I love good fresh hummus.