PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're Addicted to Knitting When...

auburnchick
04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
You know you're addicted to knitting when you wind up with the following (take special note of the lines in the crease of my elbow):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2265/2408309993_4654c867ed.jpg

All because you sat out in 86-degree weather with your arms in the following position (hence the strange white area on the inside of my elbow):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/2409142984_4e2183cedd.jpg

Of course, that's me in the hotel later that evening after spending the entire afternoon at the soccer fields watching a college game, followed by my daughter's game. I refused to let all that time go by without taking advantage of it. BTW, that is the first of a pair of Monkey Socks...my current WIP.

Now, if only I could figure out how to knit with my arms straight out. :?? We have lots more games coming up. :teehee:

Cynamar
04-13-2008, 03:12 PM
:roflhard: Funny! What are monkey socks?

auburnchick
04-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Here's (http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter06/PATTmonkey.html) the link to the pattern.

knitgal
04-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Ohhhh, Nathalie- does it hurt??? Your Monkeys are looking great btw.
Cyndi- Monkeys are a sock pattern found here (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html).

redheadrachel
04-13-2008, 03:52 PM
hahahaha

Aww sweetie, I'm sorry :( SPF!

auburnchick
04-13-2008, 03:55 PM
No, it really doesn't hurt. It stung a tiny bit in the shower this morning, but other than that, it's fine. The weird thing is that my right arm didn't get burned at all. The sides of my neck, in the front, got burned, but I'm white under my chin...probably from looking down at my needles. :teehee:

What a dork I am, eh? :roflhard:

BTW, thank you for the nice comment about my sock. I had to stop yesterday when I got stuck on picking up gusset stitches. I'm doing this pair on two circs...the first time for me. I'm trying to adapt the Monkey Sock pattern for the two circs while using Cat Bordi's book. I spent the rest of the afternoon mulling it over in my head...in the shade of the tent that we finally put up...long after my tan/burn had been emblazoned on my arm.

What a mess I am.

bambi
04-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry about the sunburn! I guess it's AWWW BURNT instead of Auburn today. Check out coolibar.com for sun protection clothes. They even have just a sleeve to protect your arm.

Bambi

scout52
04-13-2008, 04:17 PM
aww you poor thing!!! at least it doesn't hurt

snowbear
04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
bless your heart.. aloe vera helps. I keep it handy I bought it in the spray bottle just for sunburn. The sun does do strange things. Glad it isn't hurting. Your socks are awesome!

Lisa R.
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Never mind "farmer's tan" and "trucker's tan!" Now we have "knitter's tan!"

auburnchick
04-13-2008, 06:07 PM

I guess it's AWWW BURNT instead of Auburn today.

:roflhard:

Dangles
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM

:teehee:

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 12:18 AM
HaHa! Knitter's Tan! That's good.

ecb
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
aloe vera helps. I keep it handy I bought it in the spray bottle just for sunburn.
so do cold teabags, blot them on, it takes the sting out and ripens the burn faster

I get burnt in no time flat, before the thinning of the O-zone, so I have a lot of experience

ecb

McKnitty
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
......but I'm white under my chin...probably from looking down at my needles. :teehee:

I'm glad to hear you aren't in pain, because the chin thing made me laugh! Take care and hope you heal quickly. :hug:

lelvsdgs
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
hahahaha

Aww sweetie, I'm sorry :( SPF!
Yes, SPF repeatedly, throughout the day! I"m glad it doesn't hurt. Mayber you need an umbrella to sit under... I'm sure that'd go over great with the people behind you... Very creative use of potential dead time...

auburnchick
04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, SPF repeatedly, throughout the day! I"m glad it doesn't hurt. Mayber you need an umbrella to sit under... I'm sure that'd go over great with the people behind you... Very creative use of potential dead time...

Well, we have a big tent that you see people put up at games, and we each had our own umbrellas. I just didn't sit under them because I wanted to watch the college game before my daughter's game. You had to get close to the sidelines because there were so many people.

Oh well...I'll do the sunscreen from now on, I promise. :wink:

KnittinMitchie
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
And i though I was a knitaholic. Like the monkey socks auburn

auburnchick
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
And i though I was a knitaholic. Like the monkey socks auburn

Yes, I think it was at that point that my husband turned to me and said, "Nathalie, this is an addiction." Of course, he had also seen the pictures of my yarn on Flickr after I had sent him the link for an album I made of our kids' pictures -- bad move on my part. He went exploring through ALL of my pictures. I told on myself.

threesmom
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes, I think it was at that point that my husband turned to me and said, "Nathalie, this is an addiction." Of course, he had also seen the pictures of my yarn on Flickr after I had sent him the link for an album I made of our kids' pictures -- bad move on my part. He went exploring through ALL of my pictures. I told on myself.

This is exactly why I haven't even mentioned I have a flicker account to my dh - mine is ALL yarn and projects. one of two shots of the kids, but mostly yarn in one form or another.:roll:

Love :heart: those socks, too!!

tokmom
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Ouch! How do you explain that burn line?

Those socks are so neat! Are they difficult?

auburnchick
04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Ouch! How do you explain that burn line?

Those socks are so neat! Are they difficult?

As far as the burn line, do this. Bend your left arm, as if to knit. Notice the way your upper and lower bones of your arm meet? The inner elbow on my left arm stayed white because my arm was bent since I was knitting all day.

As far as the socks, this is an easy pattern. It's kind of lacy, but the pattern is not hard at all. It would be a great way to try lace, if you've ever been too intimidated.

Try it!!!

KnittinMitchie
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Auburn you told on yourself. LOL I've gotten smart and stopped taking pic of the yarn. Now I just do the finished project. :( Sad thing my hubby KNOWS how much yarn I have and where I tend to stash and hide it all.