PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Knitter-Questions!

Ladylou
04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Hey There Everyone! Hope you're all having a great night...

I just started knitting a few days ago and have fell in love! :knitting: The only thing is I'm pretty sure I started with a specality yarn that is hard to work with to begin and am having some trouble. Also, I have 7mm plastic knitting needles that are pretty slippery and sometimes the sts slip.

Does anyone with some more experience have ideas as to what would help? I would so much appreciate any tips you have!

Thanks!

-Lexie:muah:

Debkcs
04-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi Lexie, welcome to Knitting Help, and the wonderful world of fiber addiction!

You might want to change to bamboo or some other wooden needles while working with a novelty yarn that slips, that should help. If you have questions about the pattern, just let us know.

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Welcome! The folks here are very helpful. Ask away!

WandaT
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Welcome to KH! Ditto on changing to some bamboo needles. They should help with the slipping problem.

dustinac
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
:happydance: Welcome to KH!!

I would also suggest changing your needles...but you might want to change your yarn too until you get the feel of the knit and purl st. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
The needles are fine, they'll make nice large sts that you can see the stitches on --- if you use regular smooth yarn that's lighter in color. The novelty stuff is difficult for even experienced knitters to work with.

blueygh2
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Hello and welcome

At first, my stitches would slip as well, maybe it was the yarn, I don't know.

But anyway, maybe you're just knitting too fast, which might also cause the stitches to slip. I always hold the stitches back with one finger while knitting. You get used to it after a while.

Also, when knitting with many stitches, those slippery needles are just what you need, to slide the stitches up easily without too much effort.

Good luck with your knitting

Ladylou
04-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you all SO much for your help!:hug: I went shopping and tried out the bamboo and got some non-novelty yarn... Its going so much better! My edges are still kind of wavy but I'm pretty sure that has to do with my lack of consistency of texture.

Its so funny, I never thought I would love knitting so much! I have a feeling its going to be a lasting addiction...:teehee:

Thanks so much again! Hope you're all doing well:)

Love,
Lexie:muah: