PDA

View Full Version : What is this worth?!

*KnitPixie*
04-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi everyone I have a family friend around the corner from me who trys to sell her hand-crocheted baby blankets to neighbors for shower gifts as an extra source of income.She is crippled and this gives her something to do as well as the extra money:) She used to use red heart because she is older and it is what she is used to but I opened her eyes and mind to caron simply soft yarn which will fit her budget and would be much softer. So now the complaints she is getting is that she charges to much and they are just not worth it! This infurates mne to no end as they are really pretty blankets and she only charge $55 and she pays for the yarn:hmm: but then again I have hand problems so I may view a blanket as a lot more work than it is. I truthfully dont think this is the case though,I think people are trying to get over on her because she is crippled and needs the money and they know it:tap: Can someone please tell me the TRUTH about what they think this blanket is worth? I am very laid back and open to opinions so dont be afraid to tell your opinion:teehee:

http://image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.24287198.jpg

Doodknitwit
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
non knitters/crocheters have no idea the time involved...
therefore they can't appreciate:tap:

HamaLee
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
non knitters/crocheters have no idea the time involved...
therefore they can't appreciate:tap:

Agreed, unfortunately. What skews the "value" even more is that you can get baby blankies at places like Babies R Us, WalMart, etc for under 20 bucks. Sigh. This is why I refuse to knit for money; I prefer to knit something I enjoy (as a process knitter) and give it freely to someone who will appreciate. If I try to "surprise" certain family members I always wind up disappointed. :shrug:

vaknitter
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
While I agree that handmade items are priceless, $55 may be a little high for an acrylic baby blanket. My mom makes and sells afghans as a sort of therapy for herself and if I remember correctly her baby ones are $25 and adult ones go from $45-75 depending on the size. Using the Caron or Red Heart the yarn is only about $6/baby blanket. Granted - my mom does it for therapy, not b/c she needs the income. People will always expect things to be cheaper from a person than a store. My mothers large afghans (very popular wedding gifts) used to sell in a craft store for almost $150 and now she is lucky to get $75 selling them via word of mouth.
Maybe if your friend lowered the price a little she would sell more blankets and in the end make more money.

MAmaDawn
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
That blanket is amazing! I don't think that's over priced at all. Those bobbles are beautiful!

I agree that it may be that they don't see the amount of work that goes into it. Has she tried to sell it online? I had a friend that used to work for a group that sold all kinds of hand made items.

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
What it's worth and what people will pay can be so far apart. That is a beautiful blanket.

hartleystudio
04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
It's a beautiful blanket!! Would it be possible for her to try to sell them at an upscale baby boutique and use much nicer yarn? I know that some of my clients had cashmere baby blankets that cost hundreds!! You could have her make one or two and then shop them around at some places that specialized in really fine baby gear. You could look in the back of "Cookie" magazine or one of the Martha Stewart baby mags. I know they would sell out of really nice yarn in the right shop.

Good luck!

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
She could take orders and personalize them.

sinistral_needler
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
A lot of people will use the general guideline of 2-4x the price of the 'supplies' (ie yarn) to determine the 'value' of the item that they are creating. For example, if someone spent $10 on yarn, they could charge $20 - $40 depending on the complexity of the design and the quality of the yarn.

It would be really awesome if we could all make a mint from our creations that we pour our hearts and souls into, but unfortunately .. the people that don't know how to do this, don't appreciate that! :( It is way too easy to go to the local mall and get a feasible copy. :hair:

HollyP
04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I think $55 for an acrylic blanket is a little high but not too much. Is she willing to lower her price by $5-$10 and see the reaction? I also agree that maybe she should try to sell to a different market. Try Etsy. People buying there seem to be willing to pay for what they get knowing that it is hand made.

gingerbread
04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I just got on line and view the blankets, they are beautiful. Even my husband who has no idea if it is knitted or crochet said that he didn't think that was to much money. I agree that people don't think of what goes into the blankets, to bad for just they words she puts onto them are worth that price. Maybe she should just do plain blankets to sell.

:waving:

heatherg23
04-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I've only been knitting for 6 wks so I wouldn't know where to start with prices but I think it's definetly worth it. With that type of detailing. Spelling words has got to be sooo time consuming.

It's something that a person can keep forever. I still have my baby blanket that was knitted for me and i'm 32, my brother also had one.

It's definetly worth the price.....Heather:-P

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
My mom made Julianne a sweater, cap, and blanket (and she always uses acrylic) and they are gorgeous. They are put back to be heirlooms.

cmk
04-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Your friend's baby blanket is beautiful! I'm wondering, are people complaining about the price because she raised her price? What are the customers saying they are willing to pay?

Personally, I think $50-$55 for a handcrafted baby blanket is reasonable.

Carolyn

Debbie
04-15-2008, 05:56 AM
People would probably think $48.00 is reasonable .... it is amazing what a dollar or two below the "0" makes..... $98.00 instead of $100.00 .... $199 instead of $200.

Personally .... $55.00 is a BARGAIN for such a beautiful blanket!!!

Silver
04-15-2008, 07:28 AM
If people are complaining about the $55 price tag, there's your answer. It's too high.

We as fellow crafters can not give a good unbiased opinion on the price because we ALL know how much work goes into making a blanket like that and are quick to quote a higher dollar amount. But we're also not the ones who would actually buy it, as we can make them ourselves.

The non-crafting customers are the ones who set the price because they will (and have) unabashedly tell you if the price is too high, too low, or just right. If they're complaining about $55, they're not going to pay it, so what's the point in pricing it that high? You have to find a balance between time spent and what someone will pay.

I'd drop the price to $40. See how it sells. If she gets a lot of enthusiastic sales quickly, raise it to $45. If she still doesn't see the sales, drop it to $35. The goal is to find a price where people will pay it, but not so low that the orders come so fast that she can't fill them.

Two blankets sold for $40 each is A LOT better than none at $55.

Mike
04-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Hand knitting and crochet are either too much and not worth it or they're not worth selling for the person doing the work.
It takes me 20 minutes to crochet a 300 sc/hdc row, a skein will take 3 days to use if I work hard at it (at least 8 hour days) and go about 4". An afghan will take 16-25 skeins. I figured one up one time and it was near 100,000 stitches. People won't pay for that amount of time, you're lucky to get them to pay for that amount of yarn.

Take vaknitter's "Using the Caron or Red Heart the yarn is only about $6/baby blanket.", I haven't figured up the square inches but I bet that would be lucky to pay for the materials.

It's even worse when you add the cost of yarn, which is why I refuse to pay the cost some companies want for their yarn. It would be more affordable to make an item out of Red Heart, throw it away and then buy the expensive sweater.

She's certainly not getting rich at $55. She'd do a lot better if she was making quilts, they're a hot item. People are willing to pay for quilts and there's not as much time involved.

She would also do better teaching crochet. The community college charges $65 to teach single crochet stitch over 3 classes and another $65 to teach double crochet with the prerequisite that you've had the first class.

scout52
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow that is a gorgeous blanket. Though I agree with Silver. Have her drop the price down to $40 and see what the reaction is. People really don't understand the work that goes into knitting at all. Which is why some people in my own family are not worthy of a knitted gift.

tokmom
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I think that is the problem with hand made items. People want to pay for the supplies but NOT the time.
I think heading to a baby boutique or even trying to sell on ebay might be an answer.
She could make up cards and have them in an OB's office with a picture of her blankets. I know a photographer that was starting a business and did that. She made quite a few contacts that way.

*KnitPixie*
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I just wanted to thank you all and say we both value ALL of your responses and she has decided to try and lower her price to $50 and see how it sells at that price. I am going to try and sell this blanket in my etsy shop for her.Thank you everyone for saying the blanket is beautiful you really lifted her spirits out of the slump she was in ever since someone said they wouldn't pay higher than $25 bucks for it(she had tears in her eyes when reading the nice responses);) I think we might have a good shot there as I have seen people sell handmade baby hats at $25 a piece and made with acrylic yarn..and they werent even time consuming patterns,just straight stockinette. Thank You Everyone!

tokmom
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to thank you all and say we both value ALL of your responses and she has decided to try and lower her price to $50 and see how it sells at that price. I am going to try and sell this blanket in my etsy shop for her.Thank you everyone for saying the blanket is beautiful you really lifted her spirits out of the slump she was in ever since someone said they wouldn't pay higher than $25 bucks for it(she had tears in her eyes when reading the nice responses);) I think we might have a good shot there as I have seen people sell handmade baby hats at $25 a piece and made with acrylic yarn..and they werent even time consuming patterns,just straight stockinette. Thank You Everyone!

Awww, hugs to your friend.:hug: She should be proud of her talent. The blanket is just gorgeous.

chesagrey
04-15-2008, 09:59 PM
If I try to "surprise" certain family members I always wind up disappointed.

here here! now i just show them finished pieces that i've done for myself or someone who wants something. that way they can ask for something they would like/use

Mike
04-16-2008, 01:49 AM
someone said they wouldn't pay higher than $25 bucks for it

I would've been extremely rude in my response, too rude and crude to post on this forum.

I've run into plenty of people like that when I was in retail business. They are generally the ones who will come back and pay the asking price. They want the item (that's why they've thought about what they want to pay for it) and think their rudeness will get the price down.

Debkcs
04-16-2008, 03:04 AM
I've run into plenty of people like that when I was in retail business. They are generally the ones who will come back and pay the asking price. They want the item (that's why they've thought about what they want to pay for it) and think their rudeness will get the price down.

I think the blankets are lovely. If they don't want to pay for them they can go get something trashy from Walmart.

She really should try etsy, it's a good place to learn how to market your things.

And BTW, you are a good friend to be taking up her cause!

Jen17
04-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I think her blanket is just beautiful and it is a "keepsake". If I didn't knit, I would certainly pay 55.00 for that blanket for my grandchild! You are a good friend and I think trying to sell it on esty a great idea.

There were so many good idea here! Mike had a great idea of teaching classes, she would make good money doing that ( although I do understand that there maybe problems getting your friend to the classes, maybe people could come to her home and have private classes). Also someone else said leaving cards at the O.B's office, great idea!

Where there is a will, there is usually a way!

Jen:knitting:

scmomof4
04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree that it is beautiful and you were very helpful to get her to use a softer yarn. I think that there is a bias against acrylic in general because of how nasty it was for most of us when we growing up. One way to push up the value of the baby blankets is to have a nice tag that highlights how serviceable the blanket is (sheds stains and washes up like a dream for mom) and a place for her to sign her name on the tag. The more "boutique-y" the blankets are the more that people will see value in them.

It may be, as others have pointed out, her price point is wrong for the market. $55 is too close to being an overpriced WalMart blanket and yet too cheap to be "exclusive."

I think that it is important for us not to obsess about how much our time is worth. NO ONE could afford any of us. :D If she couldn't be making more money with her time then this is a winning proposition for her. The better perspective is that if she enjoys the crocheting then they are supporting her habit by paying her to do something she enjoys.

marlajap
04-18-2008, 02:28 PM
The person who suggested trying to sell a couple of these blankets on e-bay might have been spot-on in terms of finding the right price point and the right market. With e-bay, you get a lot of exposure for a very small fee, and a very wide audience. Etsy is another great place, of course, and I applaud the thought of putting them in your etsy shop. Etsy is all about hand-made items, which is a perfect setting. The only issue I can see is that a lot of people don't even know about etsy. I didn't until I started reading this board...

Regards,

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I knew about Etsy from a board on iVillage but nowhere else until here.

feministmama
04-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I think the blankets are lovely. If they don't want to pay for them they can go get something trashy from Walmart.

She really should try etsy, it's a good place to learn how to market your things.

And BTW, you are a good friend to be taking up her cause!

Here here!!

*KnitPixie*
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone:hug: :muah: :hug: :muah: :muah:

jess_hawk
04-26-2008, 10:14 PM
A couple of thoughts:
1. Talk up the fact that these are machine washable! My own heirloom-quality baby blanket was destroyed when my mom stuck it in the washing machine without realizing that it was 100% wool.
2. Once you find the right price for Simply Soft, I would recommend taking orders which allow the blankets to be personalized a bit, but also offer a couple of different yarns at different prices. That way, she doesn't have to pay for more expensive yarn until she knows someone will buy the product.
3. Perhaps see if she could put some advertising at the LYS. For one thing, some people who knit or crochet don't have the patience to create blankets, and if they want a baby blanket they might be happy to buy a handmade one from someone else. Secondly, I think that if I was looking for a handknit or handcrocheted item, I would head to the LYS to see if the shop owner knew of anyone who could create that item for me (if I didn't know how to do it myself).

Wanda Witch
04-27-2008, 02:39 PM
I just ordered the last blanket currently available on Etsy for an upcoming baby shower for an old friend's great grandchild. So, I obviously don't think it is over-priced. It is just beautiful. I think the young mother-to-be will really be pleased.

newbieknitter
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I've recently found out I have a new niece or nephew on the way. I'd like to make him/her one of these blankets. Any idea where the pattern might be available? Thanks!

*KnitPixie*
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry it is not available to the public at this time, see other post;)

letah75
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, I must be stupid. Where is the blanket picture/link?!? I wanna see it.

cdjack
05-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

*KnitPixie*
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
fixed it i think;)

letah75
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, that blanket is truly freakin' awesome!!!!!!!

I'd pay for it.

Nakia
06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
I feel that she shouldn't have to lower her price. We as crafter often sell ourself too short. We are so scare that no one will buy our items that we often under sell just to get some sort of money. I feel that she should stick to her guns and sell them at the price that she feels is appropriate for her hardwork.

That blanket is very beautiful.

TEMA
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
IT is a beautiful blanket... I don't believe it is underpriced at all. I think the main problem would be finding just the right place to sell it. It is a 'one of a kind' item... hand-made does count, so does ability.
Try Etsy... have a look there at least and see what other baby blankets of like craft are selling for and then make up your mind.
Good luck!
TEMA:thumbsup: