PDA

View Full Version : I Might Be In Magazines Soon

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I thought this was pretty cool. A couple of writers for a couple of different publications have contacted me about possible articles regarding men knitting.

One, the Financial Times, is only an article proposal and may or may not ever be published, but the other one, Yarn Forward, is likely to see publication.

I was happy to answer some questions for them and rather enjoyed it. I am hoping to see at least one of the articles be published as I think it may help promote knitting among men, especially if it's published in a non-knitting publication like the Financial Times.

The writers are supposed to let me know when and if the articles will be published.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've also been approached about possibly writing a book but am mulling that one over as it would be a huge amount of work and I'm not sure I really have the time.

PCwombat
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
:happydance: :happydance: Congratulations!!! :happydance::happydance:

You definitely must keep us updated with the potential articles.

And, if you ever do write a book, I would definitely buy a copy. :)

gingerbread
04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh that is great Mason we now may have a celeb in our mist.

:waving:

Sunshine's Mom
04-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Yee Haw, Morgan! Way to go. I'd definitely buy a copy of your book. Your stories are always awesome. Heck, just the characters you come across while knitting on the road are great. I'm sure there's loads of stories in there. "Knitting Guy on the Road - Tales from a man with needles who's not afraid to use them". :rofl:

Someone else mentioned that you should have some extra yarn and needles with you in case people want to try to knit, and that you should take all the swatches and make a blanket out of them. Imagine the stories you could get from each person. If the book was a hit (which, why wouldn't it be) you could auction off that blanket and give the proceeds to your favorite charity. Just an idea.

Keep us posted!

Ginnyb
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
That exciting! An author among us!!! You have so many wonderful stories, I could see a book.. I'm a librarian, I will promote it!!!
Ginny

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Wow! A tourist attraction and a celebrity! You're a cool dude.

boo1
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
:)

:thumbsup:

blueygh2
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
You have to scan the pages or send me a copy!! :D

And a copy of that book ... :D

lactosefree
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
:cheering: How fantastic! Also, if you decided to write that book I'd buy it in a second!

ecb
04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
you are good at writing, conveying the mood if a situation
and you are such a good knitter to boot
Congrats

ecb

Wanda Witch
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Congratulation! We all believe you could write a book. Just think: Before you began knitting you probably thought you'd never be able to do that, and so it would be in writing a book. You have a gillion stories in your head and you write so very well. Keep it up and think about it. Again, congrats to our guy knitting celeb.

scout52
04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
That's wonderful. I really hope the one in Financial Times goes ahead. It will be great for the knitting community as a whole.

Knit4Pie
04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
That's so great! I really think you could write a book, with all your experiences!

auburnchick
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow! That is awesome! Please keep us posted!

http://bestsmileys.com/reading/5.gif

gargoyle08
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Congrats! This is very cool indeed. I been reading you on this site for a few now and I would be more then happy to read a book, should you write one. Think about it... You do not have to write the whole thing in one night, just write one page at the time. :)

mks22300
04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
That is so cool Mason, congratulations! :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
So totally awesome! I got an autograph of the Yarn Harlot...now I have to get yours!
I could just stalk every trucker I pass on my way down the highway, but that might not go very well :teehee:
Even as an offer that is great. You do have a great way of expressing yourself that would be a super fun thing to read about.
And we all knew you when.....:happydance:

remclave
04-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Add me to the list! I love reading about your adventures! :D

zkimom
04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Mason,

Make the time.

Write the book.

(You know you want to!)

Best,
Susan

Pat in Ca
04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
You are absolutely crazy if you don't consider that book offer...
Knitters have an addiction to knitting books AND mens knitting books (patterns for he-men) are an untapped market... AND you have a knack for manly, good looking, no nonsense, patterns that men and women would enjoy making... really.....what an incredible opportunity...good luck!

Doublereeder2
04-14-2008, 09:36 PM
WooHoo Mason! :notworthy: Will you still visit us when you are a published author? Make sure you keep :guyknitting:

suzeeq
04-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Great news! And you might be able to get an advance on the book to pay some expenses so you'd have time to write it.

bambi
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Mason, that is fabulous! You are not only a tourist attraction but in an article AND possibly an author. Sign my book, please.

Bambi

losnana
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I would too!!

:happydance: :happydance: Congratulations!!! :happydance::happydance:

You definitely must keep us updated with the potential articles.

And, if you ever do write a book, I would definitely buy a copy. :)

snowbear
04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Just awesome.. I knew you had it in you. When you write the book, you have to come to kc for a book signing... I'll spring for the beer afterwards...

You deserve it! A book w/ you writtings and your patterns... You rock!

:woohoo:

Dangles
04-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Woo, Mason, congratulations! :yay: Do keep us posted :)

cmk
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Congratulations - that's awesome!

Carolyn

Aliann
04-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Congratulations Mason,
Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

DQ
04-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Congratulations!! :yay:

Ronda
04-15-2008, 06:23 AM
That's very cool!

Silver
04-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Congrats! Can't wait to read all about it. :cheering:

It's just a matter of time before you have your own tv show on Discovery channel. "Knittin on the Road". :thumbsup:

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah!!! Keep us posted..

dustinac
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
:woot: Congrats...that is awesome...

Plantgoddess+
04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Your public is clamoring. Go for it Mason, the world can never have too many books involving knitting.

twoxover
04-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Mason--

i've got a big grin on my face...this is wonderful news!

betsey

cindycactus
04-15-2008, 09:56 AM
I have absolutely no doubt that a book by Mason would be a best seller. I have never been to a book signing but I would go to one for your book. You are a natural writer. Go for it.:clink:

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
That's wonderful. I really hope the one in Financial Times goes ahead. It will be great for the knitting community as a whole.

Thanks. I received an email today that the Financial Times story has been put on the back burner for now.

knitttina
04-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Congratulations!!

And yes writing a book is time consuming, but you've already got a start on it. Just use your blog entries; each it's own short story.

tina

feministmama
04-15-2008, 12:17 PM
How did they know to contact you? Your blog? From KH? :??

ritaw
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
What great news Mason . Congratulations !!!!!

silegose
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Mason, That is wonderful news congrats. I would also purchase a book of yours. You have a way to make so many laugh and put smiles on faces.

bethany
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Wow! Congrats! And I can say "I knew him when!" I'd try to write the book, for sure! How cool would that be Mason!? Your own book tour! Woohoo!

MMario
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Congrats!, Mason.

I'd think long about the book offer, sleep on it, etc. Yes, a lot of work, but also with a lot of potential.

Rabbitrescuer
04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Congratulations Mason!! :thumbsup: :woohoo:
I'd certainly buy a book written by you - you tell the greatest stories.

Jan in CA
04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Congratulations!! :cheering:
Even to be asked is awesome and can I say... "We told you so!!" :teehee:

jcmom
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, wouldn't that be fun? I would also buy a book about your adventures........
(sorry you don't like CA driving. We live a bit north of where you were and love it here in the mtns. My hubby is a mechanic/truck driver also, but did relate to some of your observations)

Arielluria
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
MAJOR Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:

SteveDallas
04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Go for it Mason! I think it would be great.

mens knitting books (patterns for he-men) are an untapped market
That's so true...the ones I've seen I've found to be .umm.. what's the word... lame?

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
How did they know to contact you? Your blog? From KH? :??

They contacted me through Ravelry.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I had a long talk about the book idea with a friend tonight. She mentioned the fact that a book can take as long as it takes, which made some sense. It's not like I have a time line or anything. Maybe I'll start writing a little bit here and there (kinda like I knit) and eventually wind up with something worth reading.

Or not.

I can't imagine myself writing a book that people would actually wanna buy but then, why not give it a shot?

suzeeq
04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
If it's a topic that a publisher's interested in and you make it halfway readable (which your post and blog writing do) then they package it up and market it so people will want to buy it.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2008, 09:40 AM
If it's a topic that a publisher's interested in and you make it halfway readable (which your post and blog writing do) then they package it up and market it so people will want to buy it.

Thanks. I suppose that's true enough but it would still be a huge project that I really just don't have the time to tackle and finish in any sort of reasonable time.

I suppose I could just write a little here and a little there and it'll be finished whenever it's finished.

blueygh2
04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
It doesn't have to be finished these days, you can take your time writing it...

MMario
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
well - in some cases a book would have a timeline and deadlines - if the offer has come from a publishing house - then I would suggest talking with them - serious talk; such as what kind of time line could you expect; What they are expecting from you, etc.

The experience can't hurt - and if you decide to go ahead with it you'lll already be that much further ahead.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
well - in some cases a book would have a timeline and deadlines - if the offer has come from a publishing house - then I would suggest talking with them - serious talk; such as what kind of time line could you expect; What they are expecting from you, etc.

The experience can't hurt - and if you decide to go ahead with it you'lll already be that much further ahead.

Good points. To be honest, while it's fun to think about I'm not really seriously considering it.

Inis
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
That's great, Mason! I, too, would love to read a book you've written.

Don't worry if it isn't perfect on first draft. Remember that all best selling authors are made by good editors ;)

Denise in Michigan
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Write, Mason, write!

DianaM
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Congrats! I've always said you should write your adventures down.
Should we start a list of people who want their copy signed? ~_^

suzeeq
04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Me!

Jaxhil
04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I am a bit late reading this, but I just wanted to say how COOL!!! I would by a book by you fer sure (lol)-congrats!!

Abbily
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Wheeeee, Mason, that's so cool! :) I would definitely buy your book- and I can't wait to see the article(s)!

Sharly
04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Mason, I refer you to this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66471&highlight=knitted+conversations&page=2) post from 9/25/2007:

Mason, if you don't want to do a podcast ("and who doesn't love a southern accent" she drawled) - why not think of writing a book! I would buy it!!

and...

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/ca_serenity_purple/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=968770#post968770) Thanks, to be honest I have given that some thought.
Well, maybe you should give writing a book a little more thought! You've definitely got a fan-base started, right here!:thumbsup:
:knitting:Sharly

letah75
04-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd buy it.

You could write a book half knitting patterns half truckstop reviews. And you can add it which stops are better for knitters, you know type of seating, how quickly food comes out, etc.:teehee:

Debkcs
04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Mason, even if Financial Times put you on the back burner, and you're not sure if you have a book in you, it's still worth your time to jot down things as they occur to you. You might get a chance to put all of it together some day, and you already know how much we like reading what you write.

mamabeth
04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
:) How cool for you! If you ever decide to write a book, I'd definitely buy a copy!

G J
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
What an honor, Mason! DH knits, but not in public. He NEEDS a book by a dude like you! :thumbsup:

Here's an idea: Get a voice recorder. You can't knit while you drive, but you can talk! Then you can have someone type it all up for you!

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks everyone. While I still can't imagine anyone actually wanting to read a book that I wrote I have started putting together a few notes to explore the idea.

cindycactus
04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone. While I still can't imagine anyone actually wanting to read a book that I wrote I have started putting together a few notes to explore the idea.

YEAH!!!!!!:clink:

DianaM
04-26-2008, 02:11 PM
What an honor, Mason! DH knits, but not in public. He NEEDS a book by a dude like you! :thumbsup:

Here's an idea: Get a voice recorder. You can't knit while you drive, but you can talk! Then you can have someone type it all up for you!

That's a really good idea. I have a voice recorder with an integrated USB connector. I just blab my notes on it, then stick it in the computer to download and edit.

annomalley
04-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Congratulations! That is so cool!:woohoo:

jess_hawk
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats!
I'd buy the book too. Writing a whole book and editing and so on does take a lot of time and energy, but as for your being uncertain whether people would ever want to read it: All of us love your stories, so we're sure your book would be well worth reading! And, as mentioned... it doesn't have to be done NOW.

The.Knitter
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Mason, I'm sure at first the Yarn Harlot didn't think people would buy her books, but look how well she has done. I also would buy your book.

Do you know how many times I have come onto this site, totally depressed and/or upset, and read a post from you which changed my day and made me smile for several days each time I thought about it?

Mr. Mason, the truck driving knitter, you have BIG talent. It would be a shame to waste that or hide it under a barrel. Let the world see your talents, BOTH of them, knitting AND writing. You are VERY entertaining.

Consider it long and hard before you turn it down. We all know how good you make us feel, now it's up to the rest of the world to find out!

Congratulations Mason and keep on writing!