PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from vacation

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM
I went to Vietnam and Cambodia. I did take some yarn to work on a few 'log cabin' squares.. for the plane and during times that I was waiting on others in the group. The photo below is from the Angkor Temple in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

I did manage to complete 3 of them and about 80% of a fourth one. *The only problem that I had? It was so hot (97*F or more) and humid.. that my navy blue wool yarn 'felted' a little on the skein.. I have to tug really hard to get it to unwind.

I'm sure that I was probably the ONLY PERSON knitting in the entire country too.. it was just too hot to wear any knitted items or even to knit on a regular basis. :roflhard:
If you want to see the photos go to my blog.. (address in my signature)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/artteacher2007/knitting/knitting153.jpg

KnittingNat
04-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I checked out your blog, looks like you had lots of fun! I dream to go to these places and see how other cultures live. The pictures are beautiful :yay: . I'm also can't wait for my vacation on May 22nd :hair:

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks.. for checking out my blog.

It was fun to get away- I hadn't been on a vacation in 4 years.. so, it was time. However, I was missing my bed by the time that I got home.. One hotel had a bed that was too hard, one had a bed that was too soft.. :teehee:

Terrycap
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi There,

I was just reading of your wonderful opportunity to travel. I am a new knitter and look forward to exploring yarn shops in other Countries too. I have a general question about taking your needles with you when you travel. With the new regs and safety precautions can you take knitting needles onto the plane with you? Does anyone know? I have an upcoming trip and really would like to knit on the flight.

Terry

auburnchick
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
The TSA allows knitting needles, but it's up to the discretion of each airline. If you do a google search, you will find lots of information about this topic.

Dangles
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Iwouldratherbeknitting ... you've got a great blog going :)

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Looks like you had a great time.

Did any bears eventually show up at your hotel after you found a bed that was just right?

Howdovely
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi There,

I was just reading of your wonderful opportunity to travel. I am a new knitter and look forward to exploring yarn shops in other Countries too. I have a general question about taking your needles with you when you travel. With the new regs and safety precautions can you take knitting needles onto the plane with you? Does anyone know? I have an upcoming trip and really would like to knit on the flight.

Terry

I have flown 4 or 5 times recently with my Denise interchangable needles. I haven't brought the whole set, just what I was working on. No problems at all. (Allegiant Air, Delta and US Airways.) I always get nervouse about it tho, because if they took the needles from me, then there goes my complete set. I usually carry with me a SASE (padded) so if they say I can't take them, I can have the option of mailing them home.

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Looks like you had a great time.

Did any bears eventually show up at your hotel after you found a bed that was just right?
ha ha.. :roflhard:

Well, the just right bed.. didn't happen until I got home.. and the bears couldn't climb up to the 9th floor.. so, I was safe.

Oh, we did walk down a shortcut 'switchback' trail one evening, (we'd gone to a temple to see the sunset and my friends stayed later than the other visitors and our 'tour guide' took us down the elephant trail-- you could pay to have an elephant take you up or down the mountain) and on the last part of the trip.. an elephant was about 8 feet or less behind us.. and it was totally dark, and there were TIGERS in the trees around the trail.. and temple..) so, all things considered.. it was pretty exciting for about 10 minutes.. and so dark that we couldn't see anything on the trail.. rocks, etc.. we just had to hope that we didn't fall down.. so, the elephant wouldn't crush us.. as we fell down on the trail..

A part of me did want to take a photo of the elephant right behind us.. but, living on a farm when I was growing up.. was enough to let me know that THAT probably wasn't a good idea.. a flash at night in the eyes of an elephant right on your tail?
(The elephant's stride was just much longer than ours was.. and the more that we walked the closer that he got to us and it just happened to be towards the end of our journey down the mountain and when it got dark!)

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I have flown 4 or 5 times recently with my Denise interchangable needles. I haven't brought the whole set, just what I was working on. No problems at all. (Allegiant Air, Delta and US Airways.) I always get nervouse about it tho, because if they took the needles from me, then there goes my complete set. I usually carry with me a SASE (padded) so if they say I can't take them, I can have the option of mailing them home.
I see this tip written down a lot.. but, truthfully.. I have only run across a mail drop box (where they usually only allow envelopes in it) a couple of times in 18 years of flying. AND this postal drop was no where near the customs's lines.

I've never ever had my knitting taken away or even be a moment of suspicion.. I've even been knitting in line prior to getting up to the 'inspection counter'.. but, I do make sure that I have bamboo needles w/ a project on it... I guess that this helps to show that they aren't a weapon. I also NEVER ASK them if I can bring the knitting.. I just 'assume' that I can.. since, it says so on the TSA website/etc.

I've flown w/ the domestic (states) and internationally and within 'domestic' flights in foreign lands.. (not America) and I've never had a problem.. I'm not going to say that some 'locations' don't allow them.. but, just that I've clearly not flown on those flights.

I did have a passenger, sitting next to me, tell me one time.. (he seemed afraid of my knitting needles) that he couldn't believe that I could bring them on a plane.. I told him that an inkpen or pencil was just as good of a weapon as a knitting needle.. (especially the size that I was using). I think that made him a little more nervous.

Some people.. but, then again.. I never knew how 'nail clippers' could be a weapon.. Can you imagine? "Please stand still, so I can pinch you with my nail clippers. Darn it! You moved!"

Howdovely
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Some people.. but, then again.. I never knew how 'nail clippers' could be a weapon.. Can you imagine? "Please stand still, so I can pinch you with my nail clippers. Darn it! You moved!"

I KNOW!!!! I never understood the who nail clippers thing either! I mean really.....

My sister told me when she flew the first time after 9/11 that she had a teeny tiny nail clipper on her key chain that they took. What's the punchline you ask?? It had imprinted on it "Continental Airlines" as it was a giveaway a million years ago. How funny is that?? Well, it wasn't funny to her, but you know what I mean.