PDA

View Full Version : How long do you knit in a sitting?

Viridian
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
This is something I'm curious about. I knit every day, thereabouts, but never for more than thirty minutes at a time. Sometimes, if I'm motivated, I'll knit for an hour. Maybe this is why it takes me so long to finish a project.

So how long do you knit in a sitting? :)

PS - I tried to make this a poll, but it failed me. Oh well.

SandraS
04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I work full time, so my knitting is done at night in front of TV, after supper, dishes, the dog, etc. About 2 hrs usually. If I'm sitting, I'm knitting. I get a lot of knitting done on Saturday and Sunday, between errands and chores. Our children are grown and gone, hubby is playing golf, so I knit!

Plantgoddess+
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I knit whenever I am sitting down. This winter because we had sooo much snow I got a lot of knitting time. I knit in the morning with my coffee while I read news on the internet. I knit in the evening while watching tv. I knit during the day whenever I sit down to take a break. If things are slow I can turn out a pair of socks in less than a week.

gargoyle08
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I get interrupted (or distracted!) alot at homes, so it goes from just a few minutes to up to an hour usually. Today however, I get to go to my knitting group so I will enjoy a good 2 hours of knitting.

I personally take forever to knit, I think it is partially because I am a little slow, and I get distracted easily - I knit while watching TV or my husband just wants to talk and show me stuff all the time.

auburnchick
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I can usually knit for about two hours at a time...sometimes three if there's a lot of good TV shows on at night. I typically knit from 7-10pm.

I will also knit before soccer games, so that's about an hour to an hour and half. I knit during half-time, but that's only 15 minutes.

bethany
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
as loooooong as I can! I try not to even sit and knit if I can't dedicate at least a half an hour to it. That's when I really start feeling the groove. If I get interrupted before that, I get grumpy!

Plantgoddess+
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I think you'll find that some of us older knitters have more time than the younger with children to raise. I know that even 2 years ago knitting was an occasional thing for me, I'm loving having hours of uninterrupted time to knit and get all my work done.

Sunshine's Mom
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't like to get started unless I can really devote anywhere from 1/2 hour to multiple hours. But, usually, I get home from work, work-out, make dinner, DH and I take the dog for a walk, then knit and watch TV from about 7-9:30/10:00PM. Then on the weekends I knit in the mornings until we start the chores (so that's about 4 hours - I'm an early riser). Then once the chores are done (or at least I'm only on laundry detail), I watch baseball and knit. Unless it's nice out, then I'm outside reading.

Knitting curtails quite a bit in the summer for me, but since I'm really into socks now, that's something I can do in the evenings and the yarn is of a consistency that doesn't make me too hot to knit.

All told I probably knit about 30 hours a week. Yeah me!

McKnitty
Never enough! I wish I had more time, but I just have to grab the opportunity when it arises. I think the longest time I've ever knit at one sitting was 3 hours, and that was too long for me because my hands and wrists got very sore. Now I take more breaks and stretch my hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. I would say an average for me is around one hour.

ARiley
It depends -- a couple hours in the evening while watching TV, half an hour or twenty minutes during lunch hour. If it's nice out on the weekend (not a common happening in Chicago lately) I like to bring the knitting out to the patio with me for the afternoon.

tokmom
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I might get in an hour a day or maybe two. Yesterday I hardly even picked up my work. Just too busy. Today, I will get kids to bed and sit and watch tv and knit for a couple of hours.
I'd like to take it to my kids' track meets, but they get a little embarrassed with my knitting in public.:teehee:
Like my daughter said when I had to text her one day and I told her about my just finished sock and it looked so cool. She promptly told me that knitting and cool do NOT belong in the same sentence. Whatever.:wink:

babsnelson
04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I tend to knit in fits and starts - LOL!! Sometimes I can sit and knit for a few hours, but that is pretty rare. Most of the time it's done in 15-30 minutes chunks throughout the day.

ecb
04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I knit as often as possible, sometimes its only 5 min, sometimes its for an hour and a half. I have a habit of using my time in between times i need to be somewhere, i will pull over on a particularly pretty side of the road (lots of them on the coast of Maine) and knit while I listen to my book on CD, till its time to head off.
AND I knit while watching TV, and when classroom is quiet when subbing, not to mention while waiting for appointments, or food.

I knit a lot

ecb

knitgal
04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
It really depends. Sometimes I knit everyday for hours, but other days I don't have time. With school, I often have work that has to be done in the evenings or I am just too tired from class, making dinner, cleaning up etc. I don't know how those with kiddies have the strength!
If there is a good movie on I will knit for hours, but sometimes I will knit only a couple of rows.
Funny how sometimes I am too tired to knit but I am never too tired for KH.

yarnfreak
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I try to get at least 30 minutes in. I have really small kids, though, so they don't give me a lot of time. Ideally, I'd knit for an hour or so.

Vee
04-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I've sat and knitted for a few hours on end, while talking to my boyfriend. I was just lying in bed, knitting a scarf for him (he's currently in England, and it's a bit nippy compared to Texas), and I needed something to do with my hands so I didn't start idly pulling the threads out of my blanket again.

I knit in class a lot, as well. And at lunch, when waiting to be picked up from things, and on the bus rides to and from school.

Raeknitsnwa
04-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I am still a little new to knitting so it takes me awhile to knit something but it depends on where I am sitting when I knit if I am sitting in bed I can knit for about a half hour to an hour but if I am in my comfy chair in the livingroom I can go for about 2-4 hrs I don't really watch tv so I mostly knit while I am listening to podcasts,listen to the bf play the Wii or I just play some videos I have on You Tube for background noise

Mike
04-16-2008, 01:43 AM
It really depends on the time of year and my mood.
If it's after hunting season but before gardening and I'm sick of the internet I can knit the whole time I'm awake (with hand breaks).

I think the longest I've knitted was around 16 hours on a marathon to finish the piece. I know I've done that for crochet quite a few times.

But other times I'll be lucky to get a row a day. (A lot of that depends on the object, how big it is and how close I am to finishing.)

Also if I'm casting something the kiln cycle is 12 hours and it stinks up my work area too much so that will be filled with knitting (it used to be computer games but my eyes don't handle games well anymore).

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 01:53 AM
My time varies a lot but when I pick a project up I commit to working a set number of rows on it.

Debkcs
04-16-2008, 02:57 AM
I work until my hands hurt too much. The smaller the needles, the less time I can knit. So of course, my favorite thing to knit is socks.

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 02:59 AM
But of course.

ArtLady1981
04-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Not counting "breaks" to use the ladies room and get another bottle of water...I can knit for 6 hours at a stretch.

However, that's because those 6 hours are from 9pm til 3am.
You don't get the distractions and disturbances that daytime hours bring!

Yarnlady
04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I knit all day with short breaks for pit stops, fixing a sandwich, picking my granddaughter up from school, changing out a load of laundry, checking my e-mail, etc. So I'd say on an average day I'll put in between 6-9 hours of knitting. Some days of course I must do the grocery shopping and other things that take me out of the house for long periods.

The joys of an OCD personality! :lol:

WandaT
04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I usually shoot for about 2 hrs a day, mostly at night while watching TV. If I'm on a deadline, I will also take breaks during the day and work on a project. It also depends on my energy level. Some days I just don't have the energy to do anything else and will sit and knit/crochet more. Other times I don't get to it at all for several days because of one thing or another. After a couple of days of not spending time with my yarn, I tend to get a wee bit cranky though. :)

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow!

McKnitty
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
However, that's because those 6 hours are from 9pm til 3am. You don't get the distractions and disturbances that daytime hours bring!

Oh my goodness, when do you sleep? I'm so amazed that some knitters can knit for such long periods of time. I read something about 'muscle memory' on one of the other threads, does that mean you eventually build up your hand muscles so you can knit longer?

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
It varies depending on my trucking schedule. If I'm running hard I spend a few minutes knitting in the truckstop while waiting for my meal order.

When I park for the night I'll usually knit for an hour or so before hitting the sack.

If I have the time to sit in the truckstop for a good while, or in a pub somewhere, I'll normally spend the entire time knitting.

When I am home off the road I'll typically knit all day long with breaks for taking care of things that need doing.

vaknitter
04-16-2008, 11:28 AM
How long I can knit depends on what I'm doing. I lose interest in things very easily so a blanket with repeating pattern I go maybe 30-45min and need a break, a sock that comes along and the end is in sight I can go 2-3hrs. Most of my knitting is at night when everything else is done. Although last weekend I broke my ankle and got to do a lot of knitting b/c it was just too hard to get out of the chair to do anything else. I'm lucky to get an hour/day to knit. The hubby and I carpool so I used to bring it along for the ride...not sure why I stopped.

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I think it's so cool for a guy to knit. I would love to see you knitting at a truck stop.

Mike
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh my goodness, when do you sleep? I'm so amazed that some knitters can knit for such long periods of time. I read something about 'muscle memory' on one of the other threads, does that mean you eventually build up your hand muscles so you can knit longer?

That could be it. I've spent almost 30 years working with pliers and hammers. Knitting and crochet is nothing in comparison.
It's more my eyes than anything that give out.

Repetitive stress isn't so much of an issue for me because I like to go at a leisurely rate and have to take eye breaks more than hand breaks.

heatherg23
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I knit all day long. I have pain problems so I just prop myself up with a couple pillows, lay down and knit. I stop for 5 minutes here and there to rest my fingers. I stop to eat, talk on the phone, take the dogs out then I start knitting again. It distracts me from my pain that's why I do it so much.

Heather

Susie54
04-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I have so enjoyed reading everyone's post. I teach prekindergarten and I love to come home and sit, knit and meditate for a bit. When the weather is bad outside I could sit and knit for several hours at a time. Right now it is getting harder to find the time, because I also love working out in my yard. My best time is at night if there is something good on tv or I have a really good movie.:knitting:

lactosefree
04-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I usually get in a couple hours a night on the weekdays though between all my distractions it's probably more like an hour and a half. Over the weekend I'd say I get in somewhere between 3-5 hours.

Sometimes if work is really slow - particularly in the summer - I can get an additional hour or so in at work.

I'm envious of all of you who can devote so much time to knitting. I dream of being independently wealthy and spending my days knitting.

bookbabe
04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
boy I'm jealous too of everyone who has so much time to knit! I'm lucky to get in a little bit in the evening before I fall asleep--after everything else is done. It's sort of my unwinding time. Unfortunately right now I can't go more than about 30 -45 minutes at a time due to an elbow injury. Who would of thought that knitting put so much stress on your elbow!! After 30 minutes I have to stop and stretch my arm and do some of my exercises. But 30 minutes is better than none which is what I had just a few weeks ago!!

gingerbread
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I get up early in the morning to bring my grandkids to school and then I do all my housework. Which isn't much anymore. Being retired makes housework easy. Then I knit from about 1 to 3 in the afternoon. Pick the kids up bring em home and make supper. Clean up and back to knitting again. So from 6pm to when ever I go to bed is my night time knitting. I had sever pain in my lower back and legs. This was for 8 years so being on so much meds a lot of mistakes would happen. So I would knit rip it and knit. Now that I have this machine in side of me it is great. The pain goes away and it just tingles all the time. Best darn thing that has happen to me in a long time. When I shut it off I can go for almost all night with no meds. I am now a very happy knitter.:roflhard::roflhard:

:waving: