PDA

View Full Version : Covered dish recipes-need help-UPDATE

stitchwitch
04-16-2008, 04:33 PM
DH and I have been invited to a Kentucky Derby party and we are requested to bring a covered dish. No biggie except that I don't feel confident in any of the stuff I make enough to bring it to a neighborhood function. :roflhard: Any of y'all have any tried and true covered dish recipes that are sure to be winners at this party? Thanks.

MMario
04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
worlds easiest - self chilling - salad.

1 lb bag frozen petit pois (peas)
1 lb frozen whole kernel corn
1 onion, diced small
1 bottle italian dressing (or ceaser, or balsamic, or red wine salad dressing - but you don't want a creamy dressing )

mix frozen veggies with onion. pour dressing over them and stir.

Let sit at room temperature 1/2 to 1 hour. stir. serve. Will stay cold for quite some time.

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a friend here from Louisville who has a Derby party every year. They are FUN! He makes mint juleps. I would think that anything Southern would be good. Here's a link I found: http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-derbyparty.htm

hartleystudio
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
My whole family actually lives in Louisville, KY and have hosted tons of derby parties. My Step Mom was in Junior League there and they published a great cookbook called "Splendor in the Bluegrass" that has an AWESOME corn pudding recipe from a popular place in Louisville.

Frazier's Corn Pudding

1 (14 oz) can cream style corn
1 (14 oz) can whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 (8 oz) package cornbread mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream

Combine all ingredients (including liquid from the whole kernel corn) and mix well. Spoon into a 1 quart bakin dish. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

It's really awesome. I suppose anything with a stick of butter can't taste bad!!!!!

Have a great time at the party and watch out for the mint juleps!!!:thumbsup:

Debkcs
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Take the corn pudding recipe. It's awesome. If three people bring it, all three will go home with empty dishes. It's on our table just about every holiday, and every picnic with an 'American' theme.

snowbear
04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
corn pudding rocks.. it is awesome. Take it... I've had it numerous times.. and make it at least once a month.. GO for it.. I have demands for it every party I go to.

saracidaltendencies
04-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Something I really like is Green Bean Casserole. It's so incredibly simple to make too!

Adjust the quantity to how much you need to make, but, I usually use:

2 cans French Cut Green Beans
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of French Fried Onions

Drain green beans and pour into a casserole dish...Add cream of mushroom (I also add a little bit of salt and pepper) and stir well. You don't want it to be too runny so add about half a can or a bit less as you stir, if you need more, you can always add it. Top with the french fried onions and bake on 350 for about 20 mins. to half an hour and that's it!

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Everybody loves green bean casserole!

KnitWit1987
04-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Looks like you have already gotten some great recipes!! I just wanted to give everyone this one, even if you dont use it this time, you have to try it it's fantastic.

Fruit dip

1 large glass container of marshmallow cream
1 regular size cream cheese

Whip together in large bowl using a mixer for about 10 mins or until it is smooth.

Refridgerate overnight or atleast for a couple hours.

It is great with apples and grapes. Really easy recipe and everytime I have made it for a function everyone loves it and wants the recipe!! Goodluck!! :muah:

Gertie
04-17-2008, 01:31 AM
On the Corn Casserole - mine's similar but I add a little seasoned salt and diced red bell peppers. For a snack I'll heat some up and top with a little honey.

Try this Potato Casserole:

2lb bag hash brown potatoes - cube style
2 cans cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
6-8 cups shredded Colby & Montery Jack cheese - Kraft makes it
diced onion

In a 9x13 cake pan or I use a lasagna pan - thaw potatoes.
Mix other ingredients.
Pour on top of potatoes.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Last time I made it, I used 6 cups of the cheese. Some liked it, but some wanted more cheese.

Do not add butter. Do NOT add salt.

I doubled the recipe one time - disaster. It's too mushy if deep.

I've not tried it, but I'm sure it would be good if you sliced your potatoes instead of using the hash browns.

I'm sure they'll like whatever you bring. Have fun!

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 01:36 AM
MMMMMM!!! That sounds like the hash brown stuff they have at Cracker Barrel.

Gertie
04-17-2008, 01:42 AM
MMMMMM!!! That sounds like the hash brown stuff they have at Cracker Barrel.

Oooh! I gotta check that out.

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Oh, yeah. I love that place. I always get country ham and always get the hash browns and I always grab a bag of my favorite mints on my way out.

stitchwitch
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh wow, you guys really came through for me!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!
I'm going to try the corn pudding I think. DH said it sounds like his type of thing. I've saved all the other recipes too for other adventures. Thanks again!!!:muah:

cftwo
04-18-2008, 03:16 PM
My mom always had luck with what I called "integrated green beans". She'd take a can of french-cut green beans and mix it with regular cut green beans. Everyone can recognize it, so it will be eaten.

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds good. I eat green beans several times a week. Love 'em! So does the dog.

Ginnyb
04-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I use the shredded hash browns and they are wonderful too, instead of the cheese I use one stick melted margarine and mix with onion the sour cream and cream of chicken soup, mix with the hash browns and bake

Cynamar
04-20-2008, 10:59 PM
My brother made this recipe today: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mustard-Coleslaw and it was YUMMY! It's not creamy and not vinegary. Our fmily is used to very creamy and kind of sweet slaw and everyone loved this.

ecb
04-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Chicken curry

leftover chicken
1 can cream of ____ soup
1/2 stick butter
1 diced onion
3-5 peeled cored and sliced apples (I like granny Smith)
Curry Powder
1 bag stir fry veggies
1 bag of frozen green beans
Spice/pepper

sautee onions in butter
once onions were clear and soft, add Apple pieces, and stir to coat fully
add about 1 TBSP curry powder
Stir in the frozen veggies and green beans
mix with the can of Cream of ____ soup

let warm for about 30 min (crock pot, simmering on back of stove on very low heat, or in oven safe dish)

season to taste

can be served over rice, or alone, great pot luck crowd pleaser, even if they look funny at it, just get one person to try it

its SO yummy

ecb

stitchwitch
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Well the corn pudding was a big hit. It was a first for DH and I and we loved it and so did the other folks at the party. I'll definitely make it again and again. Thanks everyone for your help!:muah: