PDA

View Full Version : Cashmere yarn for socks??

hartleystudio
04-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi all:

I really want to knit myself a cashmere sweater but the budget doesn't allow it. I never hear anyone talking about cashmere, or alpaca, yarn for socks. Is there a reason for this? Are the fibers too delicate for socks? I would love to knit some from cashmere or alpaca but I don't want to waste my time or money if there is some reason to stick to wool.

If it would be possible, does anyone have any suggestions of brands of yarn they like in either of these fibers?

Thanks a bunch!!!

cristina61
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I've never used it myself because my budget won't allow, but I've heard wonderful things about Lobster Pot Cashmere for socks. Here's their web site:

http://www.kyarns.com/lobster-pot-yarn-cashmere-luxury-heavy-worsted-weight-yarn.html

I did knit a pair of worsted weight socks with Lion Brand's cashmere blend. They were wonderfully soft and warm, but they shrunk and felted a little bit even though I washed them in cold water and air dried them.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Plantgoddess+
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't used cashmere, but I did knit a pair of socks from camel hair. What I found was that they are fabulously soft, but the camel hair doesn't have the elasticity of wool and they stretch out quickly and slide down. If I was to do it again I would use a pattern the is more elastic such as a cable pattern or some type of decorative ribbing.

knitgal
04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
There are several brands of sock yarn with alpaca in them, like Classic Elite Alpaca Sox, Alpaca with a twist, The Alpaca Yarn Company's Paca Peds.
And for cashmere, there's Posh Yarns.
All those brands are on the loopy ewe site (http://www.theloopyewe.com/) which specializes in sock yarns.
I think the majority of socks are merino wool because this is a soft AND strong fiber. Most of the yarns I listed were made of alpaca AND merino or cashmere AND merino.

knitasha
04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Alpaca is gorgeous to knit with and very warm but I wouldn't recommend it for socks, which need an elastic yarn to make them fit closely and stay up. Alpaca drapes beautifully but it won't hug your feet, even if you make the whole sock in rib stitches.

Pure cashmere isn't particularly practical for socks -- it pills like crazy and wears out quickly. But why be practical? Nothing on earth feels as good. Make yourself a pair of socks to wear indoors or on special occasions, and enjoy the incredible softness.

Alternately, use one of the cashmere blends. They're probably more durable and definitely cheaper. But look at the label carefully: most of them have only a tiny percentage of cashmere; the rest can be merino wool, cotton, or synthetics.
Nothing wrong with that if they're honestly labeled (one well-known "cashmere" blend was recently found to contaiin 0% cashmere.) Also watch out for super-cheap no-name cashmere. It may be filled with cashmere goat's stiff, wiry guard hairs and not enough of the soft, downy stuff.

Firey Vixxen
04-17-2008, 12:16 AM
At our recent craft expo I saw a sock yarn that was a cashmere alpaca blend. I can't remember the name right now, but there are some out there... try yarndex.
FV

Koehnae
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I personally have used a lovely cashmere blend by SockPixie (http://www.sockpixie.com/cashmino.html). I made a pair of socks for myself (http://www.earth-whispers.com/craftsockscashmeremonkey.html)from a lovely lime, purple and cream color palette. They are my favorite, softest and most comfortable socks. Even after accidentally finding their way into a machine wash load, they still held up beautifully. My budget is a bit tight too, so this was an extravagance that was well worth it.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-21-2008, 12:03 AM
i can't see spending the money for cashmere yarn for SOCKS of all things... i'm having a hard time using hte moda dea stripes for socks because i spent 6 dollars per skein of it...

I have a friend that wants me to make her cashmere socks... she walks around in sock feet... and steps in who knows what from her dogs repeatedly and goes through socks fast... i made her a pair of socks using some joann's sensations that i bought on clearance for a dollar a ball a while ago... these ones with the moda dea are for me :)

Cirrus
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I've never knit cashmere socks, but I was given a pair. They feel so light and comfortable on the feet, but I've not worn them a great deal because I have the impression that they would not stand up to hard wear. They're my "special" socks, and when I see them in the drawer they remind me of the person who gifted me. If I make a pair--and believe me y'all are tempting me--I'd use sock reinforcing yarn in the heels and toes.

Stonington
04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
The first socks I knitted were cashmere for my DH. I just went around and felt all the yarn and loved the softness of cashmere, I thought it would feel good on his feet. He loves :heart: them!!

anne
sebago, me
Hi all:

I really want to knit myself a cashmere sweater but the budget doesn't allow it. I never hear anyone talking about cashmere, or alpaca, yarn for socks. Is there a reason for this? Are the fibers too delicate for socks? I would love to knit some from cashmere or alpaca but I don't want to waste my time or money if there is some reason to stick to wool.

If it would be possible, does anyone have any suggestions of brands of yarn they like in either of these fibers?

Thanks a bunch!!!