PDA

View Full Version : Super wash merino???

hartleystudio
04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Just a quick question, and thanks for the help! I don't have a LYS so you guys are my only source of info....

What does "superwash" mean??? I am obsessed with sock knitting and see skeins labeled "superwash" and I don't know what that means. I see merino wool and I know that's a type of sheep. Does this mean that I can just dump it in the wash machine/dryer?????

Thanks!!

dustinac
04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
:thumbsup: yep if it is superwash then you can wash them in the machine...I would still lay them flat to dry though...I've read that drying them in the dryer can be rough on your socks...

McKnitty
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Superwash means it won't felt when washed, so if you are doing a project you want to felt, then do NOT use superwash wool or it won't work.

Superwash merino is my favorite! Merino is SO soft. Even though it is superwash, I still treat it gently. I put the item in a mesh laundry bag and machine wash on gentle cycle and cold wash. Then I reshape and let it air dry. I just can't bring myself to use the dryer -- not even with acrylics.

BTW - if it is a lacy item, I will hand wash even if the yarn is superwash.

of troy
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I usually use super wash for socks..

but washed in cool water, gentle cycle, (and even warm/regular cycle) socks don't shrink/felt full in a washer.

DON'T machine dry non super wash.

and only lightly dry superwash..

(and super wash comes in all weights.. sock, sports, dk, worsted)

knitspin2001
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Some superwash has a tendency to "grow" so be careful. I just finished a cardigan out of Berocco Pure Merino superwash and it grew about 3 inches in length. THis was hand washed and laid flat to dry too.

Marilyn

hartleystudio
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the info! :muah:

So, just to be sure, if I use a non superwash then I should hand wash it?? I don't want felted socks!!!

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
That's correct. Non superwash wool will felt if machine washed.
I have both machine washed and dried my socks made of superwash. It did make them a little fuzzy looking, but even softer than when I knit them. They did not shrink at all.

suecq
04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
And I machine washed socks made from non-superwash and thel felted real nice.

hartleystudio
04-17-2008, 03:23 PM
OOPS!! I would be hoppin' mad if I felted a pair of hand knit socks!!!:grrr:

Thanks so much!!