PDA

View Full Version : Ever teach DH to knit? How'd it go?

ARiley
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
So my poor husband gets stressed at work and it's got to be bad for his blood pressure. Since I find knitting very meditative & relaxing, I think it might do him good too. Maybe he'd enjoy knitting hats for the Ships project or something.

So has anyone here ever taught their DH to knit? How'd it go?

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't have a DH but I look forward to everyone else's stories! I wish I could get my DD interested. She did take off with my Knifty Knitter Spool Loom and some Yarn Bee Airy the other night.

romanaII
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
I taught my husband and daughter to knit together. I bought the The Art of Knitting 4 Kids at a Hobby lobby, which we found annoying. Then we found Knittinghelp.com and the videos :)

He enjoys it now and then. I can't get my dd to sit still past a few rows, but its something we can do together.

Jen

CountryKitty
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Not mine--if it doesn't involve grease, gears and tools stamped 'Craftsman' it ain't for my redneck Georgia-boy.:shrug:

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
More into Carhart than cashmere, huh?

Eccie
04-18-2008, 08:08 AM
I tried to teach him. He learned to cast on right away but he just can't seem to figure out the knit stitch. I taught the spout too, She caught on quickly but she can't seem to sit still for more than a row at a time.

Koehnae
04-18-2008, 08:24 AM
I was rather lucky in this area. My DF's mom taught him to knit when he was just a boy. I was told he was quite the patient little kid and learned quickly. Since we've bought a house and moved in together, he gets to see me knitting more and it's rekindled his interest.

I have taught a male to knit, though. When my dad was going through treatments for his cancer he was understandably stressed. He was not a very patient person, but persistence paid off. He commented often about how quickly the time stuck in hospitals went when he was knitting... and he felt calmer.

I approached it in the same way I would a kid... one step at a time, work slowly through each step and practice, practice, practice. Videos like the ones here on Knitting Help would have been really helpful! My experience has been that males like to figure things out for themselves and the challenge keeps their interest. Having videos to watch in their own time would be a big plus. My poor dad had to work from a rather poorly illustrated book when I wasn't around.

Good luck!

Jax3303
04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Not long after I learned to knit, I taught DH to knit. He caught on pretty quickly, and he took on a moss stitch afghan as his first project. He doesn't knit very often now, but if I ask him to help with the holiday or birthday knitting then he will.

cheesiesmom
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I taught my DH to knit years ago. He knitted very smoothly and evenly. But he didn't get the relaxing part at all. It made him nervous. He never picked up the habit which is good 'cuz he actually was better then I was. I don't need any more competition in my life.

cftwo
04-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Some people find knitting annoying and stressful (hard to imagine, isn't it?), so keep an open mind that your DH may or may not find knitting as relaxing as you do. My dad used to play solitaire (back when you used real playing cards) for hours, or would make stuff in his workshop (he had a lathe, so he made my mom dozens and dozens of lace bobbins) for stress release. Now he writes poetry. Some people like to work out. Some people like to garden. There are also some guided meditation CDs which (if he's open to that sort of thing) might be helpful. No DH, so I can't share stories of teaching him to knit. :)

jess_hawk
04-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I haven't taught any guys to knit, though I've had a couple express some interest. One of my friends was over while I was knitting once and commented that his ex tried to teach him to knit. He got the casting on part, and was very excited to knit his first stitch, but after the second stitch didn't see the point and gave up.
My dad is always amazed by the things I can create, and I'd love to teach him sometime, but we'll just have to see if he has the patience for it... lol.
cftwo - I play solitaire for hours when I'm stressed. I collect decks of cards and if I'm really bored, I'll set up a game of up to six decks (if you've ever played double solitaire, that's the theory) and play them all together.
To those of you wishing your energetic children would sit still and learn to knit, be patient, you'd be surprised what they're probably picking up, one row at a time. My brother was one of those "can't sit still for a minute" kids, but (don't tell him I told you this, he'll deny it, far too macho at 18 to admit he likes to sew) he became quite good at embroidery. He wanted to learn because mom and I both enjoyed it and at age 2 of course he didn't care that it was "girl stuff" (as he thinks now). Granted, his sheep are multi-colored, but that's where multi-colored yarn comes from right (**wink wink**). When he was a bit older, he started needing a nebulizer (which he has since outgrown) and the fact that he already understood how to sew meant that he had something to do while he had to sit still. Mom would read us stories while he and I embroidered. Then, as soon as the nebulizer came off, he was gone like a little rocket.

gingerbread
04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I did ask dh one time if he wanted to learn. He gave me the manly look and that was the end for that. I did teach my grandson he now only knits if I am knitting. Ah but spring is here and he is not to much out side playing. That's ok by me just more yarn for me to play with.

:waving:

joann1972
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
My DH said his sister taught him when he was younger. He's spent the last month watching me learn (and laughing at me because I'm all thumbs). I bet I could get him to sit down and do some knitting with me. :)

Simply_Renee
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
He doesn't knit very often now, but if I ask him to help with the holiday or birthday knitting then he will.

Oh, what I wouldn't give for this...

I've been trying to get him interested by reminding him that Jamie in our favorite Outlander books knits, and does it better than Claire, but he would still rather play video games.

Besides, I have a hard enough time keeping the needles away from my kids!