PDA

View Full Version : A two part question...

Crycket
04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello all...

I am going to be working with girls (Pathfinders) ages 12-14 (some of who have a basic knowledge of knitting) how to knit. I made them needles which worked out to be 8 mm. I miss read the pattern I was intending to work with them, saw the #8 and mistook it for 8 mm...either way...

I am happy to a degree...cause a bigger needle will help them see how they are working the stitches...but now I need a more appropriate project. I am using an acryllic worsted weight, and I can afford them approximatly 100 yards a piece.

Next is...when I made the needles, getting them shiney with wax paper sux! Does anyone remember colouring with crayons and then placing a piece of paper on top and ironing the picture to get the wax to melt flat? Do you think the same principal would work on the wood..?? If I put a light layer of colour on the wood, and then heat them up slightly...would that work to get a slight wax coating?? I admit, I don't expect it to work, but I thought I would ask for an opinion!

Thank you all!

gingerbread
04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
When I made mine I bought Johnson's Paste Wax. I think I bought it a Lowe's where the stains are located.
Hope that helps ya. The wax really works great and it stays also. Just make sure they are really sanded good.

:waving:

hartleystudio
04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't use wax paper. I tried to do the "melt the fall leaves between wax paper" thing with my kids and they don't put enough wax on the paper anymore to even stick together!

You can also use a microcrystaline wax like "Renaissance Wax" too. It's archival and won't discolor.

Crycket
04-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Do you think Pledge would work? The furnature cleaner?

cam90066
04-19-2008, 01:58 PM
If you have a light car wax, that'll work. (It did for mine, anyway). Just make sure to buff really well with soft (i.e. flannel) cloth. If you have beeswax, try that. (Again, I liked how it worked for me).

cam

Crycket
04-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I am going to grab some spare dowel and see if the furniture wax works....if I apply it lightly...it should work....*crosses her fingers*

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 02:35 PM
What did you use to make the needles?

Crycket
04-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Dowel....

cam90066
04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
What did you use to make the needles?

You can pick up cheapy dowels at any home/hdwe store for next to nothing. Cut them into desired lengths. You can get 4-6 ndls (esp if you do dpns) for less than $1. Lots of sites with instructions if you Google.

cam

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks! I might have to try!

Crycket
04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Just to let everyone know...Pledge did not work for me...*smiles*...I tried Car wax...but I think it was the wrong kind cause it just got the dowel wet, and made it need another waxing...

So...I am heading to the hardware store...to see what I can find!

*winks*