PDA

View Full Version : circular needle (boye) is awful!

knitnj
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
with all the needles I have bought in the past 2 years I wish I knew about the interchangeables because I would have saved a ton of money. I hate this Boye needle -- i have to constantly stop and untwist it --
do the interchangeable sets get twisted like this??

G J
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
KnitPicks Options NEVER do!

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Not that I can tell. I have only used my Harmonys on a couple of items so far and I love how flexible the cable is. I finished a sweater I had on some horribly stiff circulars and cursing my way along and finally got fed up and ordered the Harmony set. I finished the sweater in no time. I'm now working on a shawl and loving the way the circular doesn't get in the way of my work.

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I started buying the Boyes in Hobby Lobby thinking that I would build up a set. They aggravated me because they twist sooooo much but I didn't know better. I ordered a couple of non-interchangeable ones from Knitpicks and now I can't go back to my old ones. I tried but couldn't do it. The Knitpicks NEVER twist! And the cable is so much more flexible. The Boye ones feel so hard or something now. I'm gonna give them away and when I can afford it I'm going to get the Options set.

knitnj
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
is knitpicks the only place that sells them or can i buy that at a lys??

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Options and Harmony are Knitpicks' brand, I think, but there are other good brands. The chick in the video that I used to learn to make socks swears by Addi Turbo needles. You might get them at your LYS.

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
A lot of people here also like the Denise interchangeable and those you can get at a lot of LYS. The Michaels near me carries those.

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Are the cables good and limber?

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think the Turbos come in an interchangeable set.

knitnj
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
it seems from the posts that there are pros and cons to the denise interchangeables...i personally do not like the feel of plastic needles and i think that from what i read that the denise needles have that type of feel. am i right?
i have one addi turbo and i love it...wish that was interchangeable. maybe that's why i hate this needle so much...its nothing like the addi turbo i used previously.

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
The Addis are very flexible? I don't know about Denise, but Harmony is wood and Options steel. I don't care for plastic, either, but I'm intrigued by casseine. I am getting spoiled by the couple of really nice needles that I have and now am having a hard time with my Boye straight ones. What a brat I'm becoming!

mathwizard
04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
I have a set of Boye interchangable needles and love them. I use the size 8 needle so much that rather than keep taking my wip off them I bought a size 8 in turbo (lol, not hyperspeed) addi. I like my Boye but Addi's aren't bad either. The join for circular needles is nice and smooth.

WandaT
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
The Knitpicks' Options feel a lot like Addis but the cable is much more flexible and they are interchangeable while the Addis aren't.

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I think my Boye straights are fine for slippery yarn but not cotton. You have further convinced me that Knitpicks is the way to go.

SandraS
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I have the Boye set and find I have no problems as long as I use the little tool to
tighten the join. I warm the cable with my hair dryer and don't have any problems with twisting. Just don't get too close and melt it! I bought a set of Denise and HATED them. The cord would not allow the stitches to slide. I had a sweater on them and yanked and tugged until the cable finally came loose from the needle and I lost the entire row. It took me an hour to put the sweater back on the Boye needles. I got rid of them as fast as I could. eBay is a good place to find needle sets at lower prices. Sometimes someone who is changing needles or destashing will offer their set at a good price.

Plantgoddess+
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I've also read that the cables on the Denise set is thicker and so less flexible. That is what pushed me towards the KP's sets. I was already fighting stiff cables with some of my fixed circs and it made my hands tire much faster.
I don't have a problem knitting for hours with the Harmonys or dpns.

vak420
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a few Addi turbos and I really like them. I've informed my husband that he'll be giving me a set of KintPicks Options for my birthday thats coming up soon ;)
If I knew better, I would have bought the Options interchangeable set much earlier and saved a bunch of money. The Addi turbos are $16-$19 each at my lys, the entire set of Options with 9 pairs of tips costs $60.

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
And now they have separate cables really long for Magic Loop. How cool is that?

gargoyle08
04-18-2008, 06:20 PM
This conversation is interesting...

I am looking to buy a set of interchangable circulars and I was looking at the Options.... I love pointy, sharp metal needles and I am not a fan of plastic at all. However at my knitting meeting, 4 of the ladies there LOVE their Denise needles. One of them also bought an Option set and had a bad experience with them. Now I believe that KP will replace defective parts, however it put a doubt in my mind.

Any of you tried both sets?

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
I only have a couple of non-interchangeable Options needles but the cable is a big issue for me. The texture of the needles is important but it comes down to the cable and how flexible it is. I don't doubt that the others are great and I think that you get used to one and genuinely like it best but every thing I've read says that the KP ones are most flexible. I guess not everyone has the same priority, either. You have to be comfortable with your needles.

knitnj
04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
i agree -- you have to be comfortable with your needles. I wish I could try out the option ones before investing $60 in them though. I read that the one problem is the smallest wire is not 16" -- I think it was $24 but some of the girls were cutting it and glueing it back together.

brendajos
04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
i agree -- you have to be comfortable with your needles. I wish I could try out the option ones before investing $60 in them though. I read that the one problem is the smallest wire is not 16" -- I think it was $24 but some of the girls were cutting it and glueing it back together.

you can try them out first. Buy a couple of tips and a set of cables (the cables come 2 in a package) and you can give them a test before buying the whole set. I just did that with the Harmony needles to see how i would feel about the wood (i started using bamboo and find that after using the nickle for so long the regular bamboo is way too grippy for me to knit happy!) I think it cost me about $15 for 2 sets so I could test them out.

And just as a testament to them... The harmony needles are a smidge grippier than the nickle but they really are supah smooth! very happy with them. :thumbsup:

knitnj
04-19-2008, 07:05 AM
so if i ordered the options metal set -- i can add on the wood tips as needed?? or vice versa??

i am trying to encourage my daughter to go to our local hospital (children's ward) to teach the kids how to knit. She's a sophmore in high school and colleges look for things you did as community service. I know she would love doing this...so I am going to look into it for her. I guess I can donate some of my other needles (except for my favorite #8 clover bamboo). i might make a separate post about this --if i can encourage her to do it.

losnana
04-19-2008, 07:55 AM
There was a poll of interchangeable needles on this forum a few months ago. Check it out. Lots of people had tried several different brands and had very enlightening comments.

I adore my Options, but have not tried any other interchangeables. KP has wonderful customer service if you have a problem and will send you a replacement immediately in most cases.

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes, you can interchange Options and Harmony tips on the same cables.

Koehnae
04-19-2008, 08:19 AM

I am looking to buy a set of interchangable circulars and I was looking at the Options.... I love pointy, sharp metal needles and I am not a fan of plastic at all. However at my knitting meeting, 4 of the ladies there LOVE their Denise needles. One of them also bought an Option set and had a bad experience with them. Now I believe that KP will replace defective parts, however it put a doubt in my mind.

I actually own both the Harmony and the Denise (eventually I'd like to add the Options to my collection). I got the Denise first and then heard about Harmony and couldn't resist getting them. Since they arrived I haven't even touched my Denise set. In fact, I handed them off to my mom who is just learning to knit. I promised her that the day she gives me a finished knit scarf I will upgrade her to the Harmony. :p

The Denise are fine, but it seemed like the yarn stuck all the time at the join and the points seemed so blunt. The Harmony points are sharp and the yarn moves along smoothly. The cables on the Harmony are also much more flexible.

I've only had one problem with a KnitPicks needle and it wasn't one from my Harmony set. The needle had broken off at the join and I contacted KnitPicks about it. I sent a picture of the damaged needle and so I didn't even need to return the damaged needle. The replacement was there in less than a week.

From my experience, I'd put my money on KnitPicks.

Lisa R.
04-19-2008, 10:09 AM
so if i ordered the options metal set -- i can add on the wood tips as needed?? or vice versa??

Yes, the Options and Harmonies are interchangeable with one another. Same cables. I actually bought the Harmonies when I was doing a lot of knitting on two circulars...I use one harmony and one options, and that works just fine, too!

G J
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
KnitPicks customer service is also THE BEST!!!!! ANY problems, and they'll take care of it.:cheering: They've NEVER asked me (or anyone I know) to send in the defective part. They just send out the replacement. (Not that much needs replacing, mind you!)

missmom31
04-19-2008, 10:54 AM
In reply to the interchangable needle sets: I bought the Denise set at the LYS and hated them the minute I started using them. They knit very slowly, the yarn almost had to be pulled off the needle and often got hung up at the join. I purchased two sets of the Knitpicks Options metal set and loved them from the second I tried them. I love the flexible cables and the smoothness of the needle tips, they are almost like the Addi Turbos of which I am a huge fan. I am planning on purchasing the Harmony Set soon. It is also nice to have a set of tips and needles on hand at the ready~organizing and keeping tract of fixed circulars is a pain. I have had to call customer service a few times regarding the tips that wouldn't screw into the cable and they replaced both the tips and the cables without further questions. The replacements arrived within the week, as promised. I really appreciate knitting on circular needles now as I have a nagging elbow/wrist injury and having the lightweight needles and flexible cable is indespensable. Hope this helps.

annomalley
04-20-2008, 08:01 PM

I tried out a couple of the fixed circulars first before I told my DH I wanted the Options set for Christmas. I was making socks at the time, and I got a couple 24" circs as my excuse. :teehee:

knitnj
04-20-2008, 08:38 PM
i ordered the knitpicks options set (metal tips). i have one addi turbo and love it..so i figured i would like these the best.
i don't know how to use double pointed needles..but i'm thinking if i learn the loop method i might not ever need to order any double pointed...right??

thanks for your input everyone!! i'll post once they arrive and i give them a test run

knitasha
04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Are the cables good and limber?

They're a bit thicker than the KnitPicks cables and thus not quite as bendy, but they are quite relaxed and do not curl up or kink.

For the record, I like the KnitPicks fixed circulars very much, but not the interchangeables. The screw-on system for attaching the needle tips is a pain (you need to tighten them with a little wire gadget) and I have had too many instances of a tip falling off in the middle of a row of lace. I have also had cables with bad threads that wouldn't screw on to the tips at all. The company is very nice about replacing defective parts, but I still feel insecure using the set and having to check every row or two to see if the cables are still screwed in tightly.

The Denise cables, on the other hand, click into place with a quarter turn of the tip -- no screws -- and I've never had one come loose. They also have the size of the needle engraved on the tips.

All things considered, I still like Addis for almost everything, but the interchangeable sets are a great value and convenience.

knitasha
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM

I've tried both. The Denise needles feel sturdy and warm to me, more like ivory than plastic. The tips are halfway between sharp and blunt. The Options needles are sharp, slick and smooth, but heavier than Addis (which can make a difference in larger sizes). For me, the join is the deal breaker--see my other post on the subject. A lot depends on what you're doing with the needles. I find Denise comfortable for slippery yarns; they have just enough grip to keep the stitches from sliding off. But I prefer slick needles like Addi or KnitPicks fixed circs for grabby, hairy yarns; for those, the Denise tips are too slow and the cords are too sticky.

G J
04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
You're right: If you learn magic loop, you'll never need DPN's (except for maybe I-cord, but even then, I just use the tips of my Options!

lactosefree
04-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Happy to hear you ordered the options! :)

I know this thread was about interchangeable needs in general, but here are some thoughts I had after reading the posts on this thread:

Both the options and the addi turbos are made of the exact same material - nickel plated hollow brass.

I wouldn't necessarily say that one is better than the other - one is fixed and one is interchangeable, the cables are different and there is a vast price difference which some equate with value.

If you haven't already read this article on options I think it's worth reading:
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/060629_a.asp

Since I changed over to the nickel plated brass it's hard for me to use other mediums as the yarn tends to stick to plastic/bamboo/wood - (with varience depending on the yarn fiber of course) but I hear the harmony ones are pretty slick.

Jan in CA
04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I have used Boye circs and I hate them. I don't like the cable or the bend in the needles.

I have a set of Denise and they are okay, but I don't like the fat cable as much. They at least don't curl though.

I have a few Addi's and while I love them, they are too expensive for me.

I now own a set of Options and LOVE them! The cable is flexible, never curls and I personally have never had a problem with the needle loosening. I rarely use anything else anymore.

All that said... you use what works for you and what you enjoy knitting with. :thumbsup:

mare-nitt
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I have a set of Boye needles and I never use them, that was a early purchase in my knitting and I regret it.
I love Turbos, they are my favorite.

knitnj
04-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I ordered the options set ...they arrived and i started knitting literally minutes after I opened the box!! (like a little kid with a new toy!)

I love love love them! They're even nicer than the one addi turbo I have!

I even learned how to use 2 circulars for knitting small diameter in the round (using one older wood one of the same size) and my new knitpicks options!...thanks to the videos on this site -- can't believe all the great tips i got from here.
THANKS EVERYONE!:mrgreen:

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
You can do 2 circ knitting with your options. Just put a needle tip the right size on one end of a cord and put the other tip on another cord. Use smaller tips for the other ends of the cords and make sure you're knitting with the right size on both of them.

knitnj
04-30-2008, 07:29 AM
oh..that makes sense...never thought of that! I guess i'd have to make sure that they weren't too close in size otherwise that might get me crazy!!

thanks! great tip!