PDA

View Full Version : Big gauge change when adding small cable?

Knit4Pie
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I have 2 or 3 tank patterns that I'm looking at for DD, and the body is all stockinette. I've done a swatch with KnitPick's Shine Worsted and I know that I have 5sts/inch on size 7 needles. I wanted to add a pattern to the body (maybe a small cable, or something). What I wanted to know was if it would make a big difference in my gauge? Example, one repeat of this (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/opentwistedrib.htm) on each side of the front (this is just an example, I haven't decided yet).

Hope I'm making sense.

Spokaloo
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Whenever you change a the stitch pattern in a garment, you really should do another swatch with that new stitch. That's the only way you can truly tell if your new stitch will affect your guage or not. And cables of any kind -- even lacy, open cables, like you showed -- can really affect your guage.

So, to be on the safe side, I would suggest that you bite the bullet and just do another swatch to check for guage! Hope it works out!

redheadrachel
04-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Mmhmm. The longer I knit, the more I am convinced that some of the tedious things like blocking and swatching are really important.
I loathe to admit it, but you should probably just swatch it. :)

Knit4Pie
04-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I was wondering if the difference COULD be big enough to say use bigger/smaller needles (I think it would be smaller??), right off the bat for the new swatch, or if it would be worth trying with the same needles.

suzeeq
04-18-2008, 10:14 PM
First try in the same needles and see how much difference there is from the stockinette. Then go up a needle size and see if that makes the swatch the same size.