PDA

View Full Version : Funny Mess-Up

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I want to learn how to make winter hats. I found this pattern and my husband likes this type of hat so I started making him one using this pattern: http://www.needlebeetle.com/free/rollbrim.htm

Everything was going so great and it was so easy and as I started getting toward the end of the pattern I'm thinking something just isn't right. Then when I get even closer to the end I'm thinking this hat is going to be way too small but since I don't really know how to figure out gauge (the inches versus stitches thing) I will just finish the hat and see what it looks like and try to guess on another size. When I get done with the hat I laugh for about 10 minutes straight because it looks like a hat made for a doll. It is so ridiculously small. It is 21-22 inches around and if you measure from one edge to the crown to the other edge it is around 8 1/2 inches. I see that this is only around a inch off compared to the pattern and this doesn't make any sense to me. I studied the pattern for a few minutes and my humor turned to anxiety. I don't understand why this hat is so short. I feel like I'm doing exactly what the pattern calls for. Also, in the photo of the hat on the pattern (towards the bottom of the hat) doesn't look like they knit 2 together every other round. I feel like they are showing a different pic than what the pattern calls for. My hat looks totally different and I followed directions completely. I did do the cast on where you stick your needle BETWEEN the two stitches instead of going up under ONE of the stitches. I don't know what this is called but it really doesn't have anything to do with the hat other than the end looking different. Also, I made my stitches tight because I don't want holes; I want the hat to be warm. I hope this isn't the problem and also I used 4 - 5 mm double needles. These are the only ones sold in my area and since they are only 1/2 mm off I figured they were fine especially since I'm knitting tight. Can someone please help me? I hate not having someone in the area that knows about knitting. I live in Gulfport, MS and I would seriously PAY someone to help me for a few minutes on a few different things. This sucks. (Leah stomps foot on floor and crosses arms.) lol. Thanks.
Oh, and here are some pics so you can see what it looks like. I use a tennis ball to make it easier for you to see how small it is. (rolls eyes. lol)

Also, what cast on would you use for this hat?

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 10:58 PM
One more thing: I thought about instead of doing like the pattern calls for:
k_, k2tog
k
k_, k2tog
k
to add a k in between each one
k
k_, k2tog
k
k
k
k_, k2tog
k
k
k
but I'm afraid the shape of the hat won't turn out right. Also, this hat seems so flat I don't see how it would even fit your head like it is supposed to. The only reason it looks the way it does in the photo is because I squeezed it around the tennis ball. SHOO. thanks. ha ha
Leah

suzeeq
04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Did you knit straight for several inches before starting the decrease rounds? That's why the picture doesn't look like the decs start right away.

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I know !!! No, I didn't because the pattern didn't call for it. ....so it's the pattern and not me??? ha ha. :)

Instructions:
Cast on 96(102,108) sts distributing evenly over 3 needles, pm and join. Work in stockinette st for 6". 40 rows

Crown:
Rnd 1: *K14(15,16), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 90(96,102) sts
Rnd 2 and every even-numbered round, k.
Rnd 3: *K13(14,15), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 84(90,96) sts
Rnd 5: *K12(13,14), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 78(84,90) sts
Rnd 7: *K11(12,13), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 72(78,84) sts
Rnd 9: *K10(11,12), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 66(72,78) sts
Rnd 11: *K9(10,11), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 60(66,72) sts
Rnd 13: *K8(9,10), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 54(60,66) sts
Rnd 15: *K7(8,9), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 48(54,60) sts

Medium(Large), Rnd 17: *K7(8), k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 48(54) sts
Large, Rnd 19: *K7, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 48 sts

All sizes, Rnd 1: *K6, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 42 sts
Rnd 2: *K5, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 36 sts
Rnd 3: *K4, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 30 sts
Rnd 4: *K3, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 24 sts
Rnd 5: *K2, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 18 sts
Rnd 6: *K1, k2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 12 sts
Rnd 7: *K2tog, repeat from * to end of rnd. 6 sts

Cut yarn and draw through last 6 sts, fasten off.

Maybe the whole pattern is not a good one. Maybe I just need to get anther pattern. Does anyone know of a site with this type of hat? ...preferably for free but doesn't have to be...

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
ooooooohhhhh. I finally see what I did wrong. So that's what it meant when it said, "Work in stockinette st for 6". 40 rows"

So I knit 40 rows before I start decreasing? That sounds like an awful lot of rows for a hat. ....but I am starting to see what I did wrong. I feel so silly. ...but then again this is my first pattern and I am trying to learn how to read them. Leah smacks self in head. LOL
:aww: :roflhard:

One more question: To find out how big I want the circumference do I place the measuring tape around my head like the hat would be placed on my head (sorta slanted)?

saracidaltendencies
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I think what happened is you didn't knit 6" in stockinette before starting your decreases. You'd need to cast on then work straight stockinette for 6 inches, then start your decreases.

saracidaltendencies
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
heh...looks like we posted at the same time :teehee: But yeah, that's why it turned out too small, you have to do those 6" before your decreases.

suzeeq
04-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Yep, I figgered as much. I don't think I've ever seen a hat pattern where you start the decs right after the CO. Except a yarmulke/skullcap

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 11:19 PM
:aww: I'm embarrassed. ha ha. It's the pattern's fault !!! lol

What kind of cast on do I start out with? Does it matter if I do the cast on where you put the needle between the two stitches instead of up under one?

Thanks. :)

Hey now my dog has a hat. lol. j/k :)

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:21 PM
It's a very cute hat! If you don't frog it you can use it for a baby hat for the charity thread. What yarn is that?

AngelLeah1981
04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Yea, I just noticed the charity thread today. Who do they donate to?
The thread is camouflage from Wal-Mart, Red Heart (multi) color: 0971 camouflage. If you need more info just let me know.
Leah :)

suzeeq
04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
It sounds like you did the cable CO and that's fine for a hat edge. Longtail or knitted also work well. Don't give it to your dog, just rip out to the row before you did the decs and put the stitches back on the needle (make sure you don't twist them). Then just start knitting.

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I htink I have some of that that I got for a dog sweater and some pink camouflage from Wal-Mart.

feministmama
04-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Get some bright orange and CO with that then switch to the camo color. :happydance:

AngelLeah1981
04-19-2008, 08:01 AM
cool idea. Thanks. :D

campbellmom549
04-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Leah, I live in Mobile, AL. (My husband works over in Pascagoula at the ship yard.) Anyway, I'd be more than happy to meet up in person and give any help you might need to the best of my ability. Now or on future projects. Just let me know!

~Liz

suzeeq
04-19-2008, 11:26 PM
AngelLeah, I just noticed your sig line...

I can only do:
cast on, k, p,
bind off in k & p
sl st
dec a few diff ways in k & p
inc a few diff ways in k & p
yo bet k & p st
diff pats of ribbing
garter & st st
correcting mistakes
simple cable pat
complex cable pats
k w/ 4 needles and circular needles
join yarn, color changes, and picture charts

Only? ONLY!?! That's quite advanced, good for you1

Debkcs
04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Only? ONLY!?! That's quite advanced, good for you1

I was going to say the same thing, Sue.

Leah, keep going, you'll have that hat in no time. ALL of us make 'silly' mistakes early on, and often times later as well.

AngelLeah1981
04-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Awww. Thanks so much you guys. What would I do without you? I really appreciate your encouraging comments. I've been a little down in the dumps lately because of where I am living and my husband is overseas. I live in a place with a lot of racist, overworked, tired people. ...and anyways I have been real frustrated because I have knitting questions and nobody to show me in person. I payed $20 at Michaels for a knitting class and it was just a "gossip session" and the lady kept trying to teach me what I needed to know left handed. I kept asking her "Isn't there another way to do this so that I can use my right hand? Isn't this continental knitting?" and she would say, "I don't think it is continental knitting. It's just knitting." She didn't even know the difference and the whole class was a waste of money. I was upset but too nice to ask for a refund and I sure don't like throwing $20 away. We're a military family and everyone knows the military doesn't pay boocoos of money. ha ha. We defiantly can't afford to throw money around. After about 2 hours online and through trial and error I finally figured out what I needed to know. I had been trying to figure it out for 2 weeks. LOL. I almost stopped knitting. Anyhoo, I would LOVE to meet up with you and ask you a couple questions. I am mostly frustrated with color changes. I knitted a scarf with hearts and the hearts are puffed out. It didn't blend with the other knit stiches at all. I posted a thread and nobody seemed to know how to help me. Where would be a place you would like to meet? I might just take you up on that when I start my next project. :D Thank you all so much !!!!!!!!
Leah

AngelLeah1981
04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Oh, and just to let you know. I got the hat made !!!! I was so proud. It was my first knitting project with a pattern. I have made the other ones up because I couldn't read patterns but I'm trying to learn. The hat ended up being too big because I made a large. I am going to make a small and maybe even a medium but I think I might have to leave a few rows out because the hat is too long and there are the same amount of rounds in the medium and large hat. I'll get it figured out I'm sure. I can't believe it took that much yarn to make a hat. I thought it wouldn't take much at all. THIS IS SO FUN !!!! LOL. :cheering: :cheering: :woot:

Oh, After I knit a few things will I still have to make multiple items to figure out how big it is going to be? I wish I was better at knowing how to do this. It would be awful to have to knit a sweater or something big 2 or 3 times. lol
Thanks.
Leah :)

suzeeq
04-22-2008, 12:26 AM
What you can do is knit a sample, say 20-30 sts, for a few rows and see how many sts/inch you get. Then you multiply that by how many inches you need and you'll have an idea how many sts to CO for something. The yarn and needle sizes may be different for each project, so you need to do that for all of them.

AngelLeah1981
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks! I'm going to try this.
Leah :) :knitting:

tokmom
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Looks like you got your hat figured out.:yay:
I'll just say I have been victim of those "DOH" moments too.:aww:
As for your list of the knitting you know? That's awesome! I wish I could do half of your list.:teehee: