PDA

View Full Version : Happy Passover everyone

KnittingNat
04-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Today is Passover Eve. For years we've been slaves in Egypt and then followed a man with a vision (I wonder if he really could look like Charlton Heston:teehee:) wandered the desert for 40 years and then became free. I want to wish everyone a happy Passover! May we realize how enslaved we've become to the consumer culture, to "artificial sweeteners" of all sorts, not only in food, but in every aspect of our life. And i wish we'd find ways to get our freedom again :hug:

auburnchick
04-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm sure you'll be getting together with friends and family to celebrate traditions passed down throughout generations. Enjoy, and happy reflecting! :hug:

dustinac
04-19-2008, 11:24 AM
:hug:

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Happy Passover to you!

Knit4Fun
04-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Wishing you a Happy Passover and wishing us all the opportunity to learn more about each other's faith, religious traditions and customs and the open-mindedness to pursue peace at all times and in every interaction.

Although I am not Jewish myself, one of my dearest friends is an Observant Jew and I am so touched to learn of her traditions and how amazingly profound the everyday is in Judaism. It's a beautiful, grounded faith and one we can all learn a lot from. I think that Shabbat is a great idea for everyone - a day to unplug, rest, renew and enjoy each other's company...wouldn't the world be so much more relaxed and at peace if we all did that every week?

Peace...:hug:

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 01:23 PM
My best college girlfriend & I took off to New Jersey and were nannies for Jewish families before we had our own families. I love the food! Neither family was strictly kosher but they had some things they did that were very different for us. We both enjoyed the education since we are both from little bitty Missouri country towns and had never known Jews before.

Dangles
04-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Happy Passover everyone :hug:

PCwombat
04-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Happy Passover!!

I'm so excited, because even though I'm not going home for it, my dad's coming to visit me on Thursday, and he's bringing up my mom's matzo ball soup for me. Mmmmmm. Sooo good. Especially because I haven't had any in two years!!

Debkcs
04-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Nat!

We had our Sedar last night (due to scheduling). My son 'officiated', changing a few things to fit our Christian beliefs.

The traditions are so beautiful. The Jewish part of my family will gather tonight in Southern California to celebrate, I'll miss being with them.

kellyh57
04-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Call me dense, but I thought Passover usually coincided with Easter. We did a sedar at my church a few years ago. It was really interesting.

Kelly

KnittingNat
04-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Call me dense, but I thought Passover usually coincided with Easter. We did a sedar at my church a few years ago. It was really interesting.

Kelly
It depends on the year, because the calendar is different. So this year it's later. If it's the meaning you're talking about - it's a celebration of spring and freedom - the Hebrews escaping Egypt lead by Moses.

Jeremy
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Chag Sameach.

Orthodox Easter always comes after the Jewish Passover. That's why its a month later than the regular Easter this year. Both churches go by the lunar calender to establish the date but the Europeans decided to go with a different lunar calender long ago.