PDA

View Full Version : Knitpicks Options (metal)

phisch
04-20-2008, 12:32 PM
First of, thanks to Sheldon and Amy for the reminder email. It's been a while since I've stopped by KH :) Hi again!

Question for you owners of the KP Options. I use mine a lot and am noticing that some of the metal is kind of rubbing off and leaving a dark smudge mark. Is that a bad thing? I don't care so much about the appearance, but if that happens to you, does it change the texture and make it less slippery?

I ask because I'd like to purchase some more needles and I'm considering the Harmonies instead of the metal if the friction spots are an issue.

Do you have any of their organizers and like them? I'm finding my shoebox "organizer" isn't very easy to work with anymore. Is it worth it to spend $ on the notebook (I'd rather be buying yarn...hehe)

TIA!

annomalley
04-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I've never had the metal rub off on the Options, but I've only had mine since Christmas. My set was one of the last ones that came in the binder (which I now understand that you have to buy separately now), and I do find that it works for me.

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 01:14 PM
I've heard of that happening although haven't seen it myself. You should call KP and tell them about it, they may replace them if there's a real problem there.

ecb
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
my Options do not have friction spots, my Harmonies however seem to have the varnish wear off fairly quickly then their are these edges to the wood that sliver off. It has only happened to 4 of my needles, but 4 of a whole set is still a lot. They have replaced each one, 3 new sets of the appropriate size, but even still, I now use the harmonies as the working off needle, and the option as the working on needle (take from colored to silver to go in the right order each time)
but I love my notebook, it keeps them all straight, I found a small needle sizer that I keep in the back pocket. I keep each size in its own pocket, and the cables in the big back pockets, I tend to magic loop, so the shorter ones are the only ones I can lay hands on right now.

happy knitting

phisch
04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I might contact KP then. I wasn't sure if I should since I've had the set for a little bit now and only the ones I use most often have that mark.

I've got the notebook in my shopping cart :D

Xyza
04-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Let me know if they are willing to replace it. I have friction spots on a pair of my Options as well. Happened after the first time using them. I was a little disappointed but figured since they were still functional that they would not be willing to replace them for me.

KnittinMitchie
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I've had my Options set since '06 and use the binder. LOVE it. They're the only needles I take on vacation and use any more. As for the finish coming off mine haven't done that in the 18 months I've had them.

Wanda Witch
04-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, I have noticed on my size 8 pair a dark, oxidized-looking appearance after only using on two projects. I wondered if others had this happen to any of their Option needles or not. I did not (last project on the needles) notice any difference in their performance. I have TWO of their notebooks, one for the different needle sizes and one for the cables. Love them.

wednesday
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I have the same oxidation happen on mine, I wrote it of on my acidic skin and well just a color change .... nothing to worry about. The other day I did spot some finish irregularities on one set can't remember which I was going to take another look.

I got my set as a christmas present while I am generally happy with the binder system I was rather disappointed with some of the pockets, the2 & 3 divider ones are nice but the single pocket ones are awfull very stiff hard to open and close and one has split at the top rendering it pretty useless.

I am going to address this with KP since I had wanted to order a couple extra option sizes and more cables as well as 2 more of the single and triple pockets, plus of course yarn ahem which will require more money than I have right now

wednesday
04-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I should have added that I love the option set
the only needles that are slicker and have a smootherr cable are Addi's but I just don't have that kind of money ( I own 2 Addi's they are my guilty pleasure )

campbellmom549
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't have the Options or the case, so I can't testify to either. But as an alternative to the case, you could order one of these (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10753109). They're extremely functional and pretty to look at. She has several different fabrics to choose from. My grandmother ordered a circular needle case just like it from her and loves it. I want to get one for myself when I get my Options.

brendajos
04-21-2008, 01:28 AM
I have the oxidation on some of mine too, the ones i use the most. They don't feel any different and there's no transfer of any sort, of course. I was wondering if you can feel a difference in the spots you are talking about on the needle? I would think that if you can't, it may be like the oxidation some of the rest of us are experiencing. Not much you can do about something like that because that is mostly going to be about body chemistry more than anything.

DeborahToo
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Hello - I don't know if storing your KPOs in a case will resolve the problem but I thought I'd share the pretty needle cases that I use. They organize my needles beautifully and I love having them in one easy to find place. I have several of these cases for circulars, straight and double points. Good luck with your smudge.

Deborah

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/OrientalBlossomCircularNeedleCas-2.jpg
Here's my circular case closed.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/OrientalBlossomCircularNeedleCas-1.jpg
This is my circular case opened with 18 pockets.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/OrientalBlossomStraightNeedleCas-2.jpg
Here's my straight needle case closed.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/OrientalBlossomStraightNeedleCas-1.jpg
This is my straight needle case opened with 36 pockets.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/paisleydoublepointcaseclosedCR.jpg
Here's my double point case closed.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/dt3366/paisleydoublepointcaseopenedCR.jpg
This is my double point opened with 22 pockets.

Lisa R.
04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I haven't read most of the replies, so forgive me if someone has said this. I just wanted to share that if you have acidic skin, nickel will rub off.

My dd plays the flute and first realized this when her mouthpiece started turning dark and flaking. Later the finger keys also turned dark.

The point being, if it's your skin, it's nothing KnitPicks can fist and isn't a defect in the needle itself.

For the record, my most frequently used ones are doing the same thing. It doesn't affect the knitting at all.

phisch
04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info! I must have acidic skin (goes with acerbic wit? heh.) You're right, I don't really notice any performance issues so I will just disregard that. I was ever so slightly worried about the rubbing off because it may expose stuff skin isn't meant to touch.

I love the sewn cases and toyed with making one, too, since I have the mats necessary. But the plastic is see-through and that sounds like a good deal for me.