PDA

View Full Version : Ferrets

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I've been giving some thought to getting a new companion animal to travel with me in the truck. I don't want a dog as I don't always have time to stop to walk one, which wouldn't be fair to the dog.

I've been considering a ferret but other than what I have been reading about them don't know a lot about them. I'm also not sure about the best place to buy one.

They sound like they would make a fun pet to have around, and can be litter box trained which would be perfect for traveling in the truck.

I am a little concerned about how they might be with regard to my yarns and knitting.

Anyone have any input?

I'm also considering a rat.

Eccie
04-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I had a ferret, she died a few years ago, but we're planning on getting more when we move. Ferrets like to grab things and run off and hide them so I'm sure you might loose a needle or two if you're not careful. Ferrets can be leash trained and litter box trained without a problem. The only concern I'd have with having one on the truck is it's sneaky little butt slipping away from you and getting lost. There is a ferret group at Ravelry, you might wanna check them out.

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I had a ferret, she died a few years ago, but we're planning on getting more when we move. Ferrets like to grab things and run off and hide them so I'm sure you might loose a needle or two if you're not careful. Ferrets can be leash trained and litter box trained without a problem. The only concern I'd have with having one on the truck is it's sneaky little butt slipping away from you and getting lost. There is a ferret group at Ravelry, you might wanna check them out.

Thanks. If I do decide to get one I'd be sure to put it in it's carrier before opening the truck door.

JessicaR
04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I think they smell :ick: But I'm also overly sensitive to smells fyi. I did have a few rats when I was a teen. I liked them and they were clean and fun. Very interactive and tame. That's the way I would go personally.

Jan in CA
04-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I've heard that they smell, too. I know all rodents can be smelly if the cage isn't cleaned often which might be a problem. You could do a cat if you did the cage thing before opening the door, too.

knitgal
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Ferrets have always given me the creeps BUT I did have two pet rats when I was younger, Alice and Victoria. They were very sweet rats and I loved them a lot. They were actually very smart and loved to be held.
Have you considered a cat? If you could have a dog, you could surely have a cat.

Silver
04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
FYI, you can train a small dog to use a litter box (http://www.doglitter.com/Getpage.aspx?D=13327981&T=4367133) just like a cat, or ferret for that matter. Chihuahuas are known for traveling well and while they will happily walk when you take them out, they're also just as content to curl up under a blanket instead. Contrary to popular belief, Chis are not wirey high-strung dogs. They're small, laid-back and very loyal. I could definitely see one being your travel mate.

Just a suggestion, but I might be a little biased here. ;)

dustinac
04-20-2008, 05:42 PM
My brother used to have a ferret...they are so comical...but like others have said they like to hide things and they like to hide themselves...very tricky little guys and can create a mess...his loved to tear up paper...or the chips that was in his pen he would throw them out... He would sleep most of the day but when Ray would get home from school he would let him out...I always thought it smelled awful too :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone. After doing more reading on the subject I am reconsidering the ferret idea as they seem to be prone to some medical conditions that are quite costly to treat.

I am still considering a couple of rats, but other ideas as well. I wasn't aware that a small dog could be trained to use a litter box. I'll look into that idea.

gatorjade
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I've had both ferrets and rats, and between the two I'd suggest a rat. I trained my rats to climb up my arms and perch on my shoulders, as they are very keen and sociable. Ferrets love to explore and have "puppy-like" personalities, so since you're on the road a lot, I think having a rat would be more rewarding for you. Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide! :thumbsup:

P.S. - If you decide on a rat, I'd suggest a Dumbo. They have wonderful temperaments!

Sewing Angel
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
My Niece and her hubby had 2 ferrets. They were really cute, but I found them to be quite "aromatic". They were also really naughty and would bite and hide. I hope you find a suitable companion.
Angel

PCwombat
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Awww...ferrets are so cute. Have you seen Kindergarten Cop? :) Schwarzenegger's character has a ferret.

The problem with dogs is that you need a fair amount of time to housebreak them, so at first they need to go outside a lot.

figaro
04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Mason, I see that you are reconsidering the ferret idea, what about a Maine Coon cat? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon

My neighbor has one and the cat is 35 lbs! I do think he is a bit overfed but he was a happy cat while I was there. According to the Wiki, they are dog like in a cat sort of way! This will be the next cat I get, a great bit easy going fluffball.

saracidaltendencies
04-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Hmm, what about a talking parrot?? hahaha...Now THAT would be a companion...I could just imagine all the trouble the parrot would stir up :p

Oh, and, Maine Coons are AWESOME cats. My mom and dad had one until recently, Thorns. Poor thing, he died not too long ago and the vet isn't 100% sure why. When he was a kitten, the breeder pointed out he did have a heart murmur but we don't know if that was the cause. Thorns got up to about 30 pounds, I believe and he was such a beautiful, sweet, lovable cat.

Lighting57
04-20-2008, 10:50 PM
How about a chimp or orangatan (spelling?)? Just kidding. Wasn't there a TV show back in the 70's or 80's that had a trucker with one of these? Just think too if it could work on your knitting when you couldn't. Think of all the projects you could get finished.:rofl:

Cynamar
04-20-2008, 11:12 PM
My brother had a ferret when he drove a truck. I can't remember any issues with it. Someone gave my daughter a pair of rats once. They were fun. They poop a LOT. I vote for a small dog. You can just have more of a relationship with them and some small breeds don't chew that much after they're past the puppy teething. They live longer than rodents, too, and are cuddlier while you sleep. I'm very biased.

KniftyKnitterGal
04-20-2008, 11:57 PM
The only thing I can say about ferrets is that you need to make sure that they get al the exercise they need. Get lots of toys for them to play with. Other than that.... Hope you get one!:)

Cynamar
04-21-2008, 12:08 AM
And make sure it's in its cage when you're driving or they get under your feet and pedals. A dog will look out the window.

Debkcs
04-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Mason, one of my friends had a mixed breed dog that traveled with him. Great pet, but he didn't like lot lizards at all. Anyone else could come to the cab, but not the LL's. Really cut down on Jim's social life ;) :rofl:

Cynamar
04-21-2008, 01:39 AM
That's good, though, because lot lizards can really cut into your knitting time. Bet Mason could whip up a mean little doggie sweater!

Knitting_Guy
04-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Mason, I see that you are reconsidering the ferret idea, what about a Maine Coon cat? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon

My neighbor has one and the cat is 35 lbs! I do think he is a bit overfed but he was a happy cat while I was there. According to the Wiki, they are dog like in a cat sort of way! This will be the next cat I get, a great bit easy going fluffball.

I really don't think I can do a cat again after what happened to my last one. Just too much in the way of bad memory.

gingerbread
04-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Yes Mason you can train a little dog to a litter box. They have a special litter box pellets that you put into the box. I think it is made of out of paper it is safer for the dog. Not any more expensive that cat litter. So if you do decide to get a little dog you won't have to take them out to be walk as often. So keep that in mind about a little dog. I also am biased on little dogs I have a mini Dachshund which are a lot of fun.

:waving:

Eccie
04-21-2008, 07:11 AM
How about a chimp or orangatan (spelling?)? Just kidding. Wasn't there a TV show back in the 70's or 80's that had a trucker with one of these? Just think too if it could work on your knitting when you couldn't. Think of all the projects you could get finished.:rofl:

My father still calls me Clyde because of that ape :P

cdjack
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
How about a hedgehog? They make great pets.... and they can be litter box trained. Very cute and quite smart.

ecb
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
if you decided on a Maine Coon cat, i could help you find one here.
LOL
just kidding, when my daughter had ferrets, the one and ON<LY time I ever got bit was when I was playing with them on the 3rd floor, and one climbed up my back, and got under the edge of my Shirt and found a little chunk of kibble attached to my back (it was actually a MOLE)

Instant Squeeky toy (ow, ow, ow, STOP, OW!!!)
that ferret tried to climb my ack every time she came around me after that.

Also, if you wanted to get a ferret, find a rescue agency, yes it will be older, but it will also be litter trained. and they can tell you the temperament of your critter. Heck same with a dog, they have breed specific rescue agencies.

JMHO

ecb

Wanda Witch
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Only puppies need to be exercised often. An older dog, one that is housebroken, probably needs to go 'out' only a couple of times during the day, before bed and first thing in the a.m. I did not know you could litter-box train a small dog either. That would be ideal. What company a cutie canine would be. Good luck in your decision.

Cynamar
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Some folks litter train the very tiniest chihuahuas and I knew someone once who trained her shih-tzu. I don't have a cat because of litter boxes and I'm not getting one for my dog but there are times when it just makes good sense.

knitgal
04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Litterboxes are actually very clean. I clean mine every other day by emptying it and washing it out with a bit of soap and it never smells. I use a a litter called "Yesterday's News" made of old newspapers. It's more environmentally friendly and it absorbs all the odors. Maybe it's the same one that gingerbread was talking about?
You could always train the dog to use the toilet- then it can just go when you do!

jess_hawk
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
My vote is for a dog or a couple of rats. Either way look into adoption! I bet you could find a pre-litterbox trained dog up for adoption, or a small dog that needs less excercise and has been housebroken so it doesn't have to go out as often as a puppy.
What about a rabbit? I believe they too can be litterbox trained (mine lived in her hutch so it was never an issue). They are quite clean (though they do shed... but so do cats and dogs) and my mini-lop was very sweet (my brother's first rex was sweet, too, though his second was a terror). They don't necessarily walk on a leash like a dog, but you can put a harness on one so it can wander around and not get away. Just choose carefully if you get a rabbit, as (like dogs and cats) they run the gamot from sweet to psychotic and you should get one that is laid back unless you want to spend hours chasing it (my brother's terror, Imp, could get out of his cage, and my dad spent many hours - often at the least opportune moment - chasing it through the neighborhood).
Just another option.

Sharly
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't have any insight to share, but wouldn't a rodent be prone to chew wires? That could be problematic!

I've seen Chis that were litter box trained. And, as an added bonus with a dog, you get a little security system/companion in one. I know you can certainly take care of yourself, but if you were snoozing and someone was messing around with your truck, a little dog could alert you. :)

Of course, you would have to name it Brutus, or Killer, or something really macho!

Knitting_Guy
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Nah, if I had a dog I'd probably name it Bob or Ralph or something like that.

Sharly
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
:) Good names.

Wanda Witch
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Nah, if I had a dog I'd probably name it Bob or Ralph or something like that.
What about Mack? Just kidding.

JessicaR
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Not Pookie or Snookie? :teehee:

lelvsdgs
04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
And having a ferret can be like having a toddler--all energy and into everything... Rats do make wonderful pets as would a small dog. I bet it would be great to have something for company on those long trips.

snowbear
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. wasn't the show BJ McCain & his best friend Bear...
I don't remember what his name was.( the actor). but.. He was dark haired, and sexy looking. The monkey was so cute. He was always dressed in little boy clothing.
A friend of my daughter has rats.. she said the females are really friendly, but the males are mean..lol

Plantgoddess+
04-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I vote for something like a chihuahua. I had one that we trained to potty on command. We'd take her outside put her down and tell her Misty pot. She'd squat and go and we'd pick her up and bring her back inside.
Adult dogs really don't need anymore pit stops than you do. My dogs if necessary can go just twice a day 6 am and 4 pm in the winter.(That's an emergency schedule if no one is home.) If you watch feeding and watering schedule and have some sort of routine a dog will adapt and as others said there is always the litter box if the dog has to go NOW.
Best of luck finding a traveling companion.

princess
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
just so you know, you dont have to actually litter-box train the pup with a litter box...that could be messy in your truck! they make abosrbant sheets that you lay down, and they learn to go on that spot...once its soiled you toss it. like this: http://www.amazon.com/DISPOSABLE-PUPPY-UNDERPADS-REGULAR-23X24/dp/B000FOH6NU

they also make ones that are like fake grass that are reusable...look into all the different options if you do go with a dog, you arent stuck with just a litter box!

Cynamar
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Greg Evigan? Was that BJ?

Eccie
04-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. wasn't the show BJ McCain & his best friend Bear...
I don't remember what his name was.( the actor). but.. He was dark haired, and sexy looking. The monkey was so cute. He was always dressed in little boy clothing.
A friend of my daughter has rats.. she said the females are really friendly, but the males are mean..lol

yup, bear was the one in the truck, Clyde was from Every Which Way But Loose

Knitting_Guy
04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Right turn Clyde

figaro
04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
SMACK!

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
What about sugar gliders? Would they be good travel companions?

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:33 AM
What about sugar gliders? Would they be good travel companions?

I kinda doubt it.

Debkcs
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
The cab of a truck, or my house, is not the place for something that cannot be housebroken or potty trained. I didn't know what they were, so I looked them up. No way. At least a ferret can be box trained.

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-26-2008, 10:56 AM
The biggest problem with a ferret is they are ACTIVE at night.. meaning: In the truck, in the hotel room.. when you want to sleep they are awake. *if I'm not mistaken wouldn't a mouse/rat be also active at night?

Some friends of mine had a couple of ferrets.. and they were always doing 'naughty' things.. hiding things, biting, and they had these really long.. creepy like bodies.. (ok, they reminded me of furry snakes!).. :roflhard: And, I just couldn't see the cuteness factor.. no offense to those that adore and love their little ferret pets.

However, a cat would be great.. or a little dog.. after all.. they can sit in the seat and give you little 'winks' of understanding or glare at you like you are stupid.. which ever way is appropriate for the situation.;)

And, I vote for rescue animals.. I like the mutts (cat and dogs)..