PDA

View Full Version : A friend needs some sock help

tokmom
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
She sent me a text picture of her sock. This is her second sock, first pair. The sock on top, I helped her with the heel flap. The bottom sock/heel flap is hers. I have no idea why it looks like ridges instead of a smooth knit. She did say she had the working yarn one stitch behind when she was moving stitches around. Would that make these ridges? She's using Silver's if that helps any.
Any ideas? Thanks for the help. I told her I knew where to go to get an answer.;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kellypatt5/suesock-1.jpg

Mirl56
04-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Did you both follow Silver's heel flap pattern of rows? It looks like you each did different flaps.

I've seen flaps where you k1, sl1 across one row and then p the next row. Other flaps where you k1, sl1 on row 1, row 2 is sl 1, p1 across. They both give you a nice strong heel flap, bout one of them (I forget which is which) looks like your friend's.

Mirl56
04-23-2008, 06:33 AM
another thought - maybe you are each slipping the slipped stitches different - one of you knit-wise; one of you purl-wise. Or maybe your friend was knitting in the back loop in the knit stitches. That, too, will give the knit column of stitches a raised look like her flap has.

anniep
04-23-2008, 06:52 AM
OHHH! That happened to me! I just knit my first sock, using silvers and mine looks just like your friend's, all ridgy. But I thought that this was just how they're supposed to be, obviously not :teehee:

I'm on my second one now so I'd love to know how to get them nice and smooth. I'm sorry I can't remember how I did mine, I'll try to hurry onto the heal and see if I do it on this one too.

I'll come back to this thread when I'm up to the heal and follow Marilyn's advice!

Silver
04-23-2008, 07:14 AM
The flap IS supposed to look like it has ridges. That happens when you slip one, knit one across row 1, then purl across row two.

This is just a variant on the regular stockingette stitch heel flap, but this one creates a stronger, thicker and sturdier heel flap. Since the heel gets a lot of abuse from the back of the shoe, this heel flap helps the sock wear longer as well as making it cushier for your heel so you may not get blisters from tight shoes.

You can almost see the ridges in this pic, but the fabric is all relaxed so it's squished up and almost looks like flat stockingette. But it does have those ridges. :)

By the way, it doesn't really matter if yours looks different from your friends, so long as both your socks look the same. Don't worry, socks should be stress free... it's a law or something.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/heelturned2.jpg

tokmom
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
So her's is right and mine is wrong?:aww: Wow, who would have thought. I do knit a lot tighter, so is that why mine looks flatter? She said my V's are smaller? I went back and looked at my socks that I made and I do have those ridges, but not as pronounced.

Yes, one poster wanted to know if both heel flaps are Silvers, and yes they are.:aww: :aww:

auburnchick
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
It's not that one is right and the other is wrong. There are simply different ways of doing the heels. I'm working on the Monkey Sock pattern right now. The designer recommends a ss heel, but I chose to use the slip stitch heel because I prefer it. As the knitter, YOU decide what you want.

For the first pair of socks, I would just let it go. Nobody is going to notice, and it can exist as one of the "customizations" that always accompanies our projects. :teehee:

tokmom
04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
It's not that one is right and the other is wrong. There are simply different ways of doing the heels. I'm working on the Monkey Sock pattern right now. The designer recommends a ss heel, but I chose to use the slip stitch heel because I prefer it. As the knitter, YOU decide what you want.

For the first pair of socks, I would just let it go. Nobody is going to notice, and it can exist as one of the "customizations" that always accompanies our projects. :teehee:

I will tell her that:teehee: . I just keep thinking it has to be a tension thing. Why would mine have ridges just closer together?

Jan in CA
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
There are so many kinds of heels! Mine have the ridges because sl 1, k1 across the front and purl back. There are no rules and no knitting police though so do what works for you! ;)

Silver
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
So her's is right and mine is wrong?:aww: Wow, who would have thought. I do knit a lot tighter, so is that why mine looks flatter? She said my V's are smaller? I went back and looked at my socks that I made and I do have those ridges, but not as pronounced.
It's probably just the difference in tension. Nothing to worry about. So long as your left and right look the same, and her left and right look the same, there's no problem! And you can always tell your socks apart by the heel flap! :teehee:

tokmom
04-24-2008, 01:44 AM
:teehee: Now there is a thought. We will be able to tell the apart.:mrgreen: