PDA

View Full Version : Yarn suggestions would be lovely...

Simply_Renee
04-23-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/baby/lace.htm LINK FIXED, thanks!

I bought some Caron Simply Soft for this and started a swatch on size 7 needles. It calls for DK weight, (is that a 3?) and the yarn I bought is worsted. I don't really care about the size of the blanket. The leaves don't seem very defined (actually more like a jumbled can't even tell it's leaves, I have done 1 pattern repeat so far & maybe that isn't enough to tell yet)- is this yarn too soft make the pattern stand out?

Should I:

1) Try a different size needle?

2) Actually use DK yarn- I am looking @ Knitpicks Swish or Shine Sport. Have you tried these? I don't know the difference between DK & Sport.

3) Knit it how I am going and block it- I know blocking is supposed to do wonders. Would it need to be blocked every time it's washed? Ack!

I know you all have way more experience with this yarn than me, and thanks for any comments & suggestions on this!

suzeeq
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
DK is a between sport and worsted and Caron SS is sort of a light worsted, but thicker than DK. Your link is broken, but this seems to be the pattern - http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/baby/lace.htm and it does call for size 7s, so you should be okay with it. Knit up a sample of it, do one repeat of the lace pattern with borders and see how it looks. You can go up to a size 8 or 9 if you want it a little looser, but you'll have to use a pattern repeat or 2 less if you make it with larger needles.

Plantgoddess+
04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Carons SS is also a soft fuzzy yarn which will tend to blur the pattern slightly. Yarn choice would depend on how sharply you want the pattern to stand out.

vaknitter
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I :heart: Caron Simply Soft for baby items !! I think I use size 8's with it. I don't have any problem with the yarn getting fuzzy. Sometimes I find how "bold" the pattern shows up depends on the color yarn I am using. Varigated yarn mutes almost all patterns and IMHO so do very dark colors.
I have never known blocking to work with acrylics - only wool.
It is a beautiful pattern and I notice it calls for wool so they may intend for you to block it. Personally don't use wool for baby blankets since washing them is not easy.