PDA

View Full Version : Bought my whorl and have questions

Mulderknitter
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I love this place. You are all so helpful. So here I go again:roflhard:
I bought a top spindle whorl and was able to get the hang of it after a bit of spinning the thing across the room (poor kitties:roflhard: ) My question is how do you draft but keep the yarn that is already spun from spinning in on itself, crinkling up and such? Do you have to constantly wind the spun part on the shaft?
And am I the only one that thinks that a wheel would be so much easier? just hold the yarn and pedal?
My mom is bringing me an Ashford Traditional this summer. That's why I thought I would start with the spindle to get the feel for it.

Foxyie
04-25-2008, 01:05 AM
hello!

it seems like you may be overspinning alot if it's a short length or you have a bunch of yarn on the spindle without winding it.

for me, anything spun that is about arms length i wound onto the shaft and didn't have a problem with that.

and using a wheel isn't always easier..it's just different

KnittinMitchie
04-25-2008, 08:15 AM
You did the right thing with the spindle. I've been on the spindle method of spinning since the beginning of the year and got my wheel yesterday (Which is missing some VERY important parts) and was told by learning on the spindle you get the basics of how spinning works.

My thing is the spindle is not "productive" enough for me. Plus my shoulder hurts from the drafting upwards and the winding on to the spindle.

Mulderknitter
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks KM, that makes me feel better! I kinda feel the same way, I just don't see how I can make the quantity I want on a spindle.:??
Not that I should get ahead of myself. And really, like I need more yarn:roflhard:

bethany
04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
have you tried the park and draft method? It's good for beginning for sure. Do it while sitting, spin a bit, then stop the spindle (I would put mine between my knees). Then let that built up twist travel up the roving, careful to keep your pinch and slowly bringing it back toward you, toward the roving. Don't let the twist get between your pinch and the roving....only let the twist happen between the pinch and the spindle---does that make sense to you?

Then to wind the yarn onto the spindle, keep the pinch, wind the yarn on a couple fingers to keep the tension, then wind around the spindle shaft. Abby has a good video of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXid5cT0y8

Have fun!

KnittinMitchie
04-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks KM, that makes me feel better! I kinda feel the same way, I just don't see how I can make the quantity I want on a spindle.:??
Not that I should get ahead of myself. And really, like I need more yarn:roflhard:

I got me wheel Thursday and it has some missing bits. Hubby has it "fixed" so I can spin on it. My wheel is used and from circa 1970's or so. LOL

I still spin on my spindle and the quality is VERY good for a spindle. My first skein is a heavy fingering/light sport weight and People have even asked to buy it. Sadly I will not part with my first skein but will glady make more like it.