PDA

View Full Version : HUH????? anyone else have this issue with Sassy Stripes?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sitting here knitting along, counting my rows and working on the gusset.. the yarn starts feeling a bit rougher (i'm using Moda Dea sassy stripes in the color "Lucky")... now i've already gone and noticed that although it said it was the same dye lot (i always check my numbers after an incident while making a verigated afghan for my firstborn) I noticed a couple of irregularities in the color... a splotch of yellow that only lasted a stitch or two in the middle of a lavendar section... that sort of thing....

Anyway... i look down and the yarn looks more like size 5 or 10 thread... it's wound super tight... and it's not anything on my part... i've pulled out about 3 feet worth from the center of the skein and it's the same thing....

and natch this is the second sock :!!!: .... i have one completed and i highly doubt the store has anymore in this dye lot since i bought it a month and a half ago... :waah:

Do i contact the store and complain or write a nasty e-mail to the company????

Jan in CA
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I've never used that yarn for socks so I don't know. Maybe the store would replace it, but not sure. :shrug:

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I would let them know nicely first and then get nasty if they aren't helpful. It sounds like you got seconds or something.

knitasha
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
What a pain.

Moda Dea is made by Coats, the same people who make Red Heart. Here's their address:

Coats Moda DeaP.O. Box 12229
Greenville, SC
29612-0229
1-800-648-1479

Don't write a nasty letter.* Call the 800-number and ask for customer service. Let them know what happened and chances are they'll send you replacement yarn plus maybe some extra stuff. If they tell you to take it back to the store, tell them the store doesn't have any more (why waste your time and gas going to the store?) If you don't get a good response, write a polite letter to the Product Director of the company and cc the President. Express your disappointment in their wonderful company (yeah, yeah, I know, but honey draws more flies than vinegar); and enclose a good sized sample of the defective yarn. At the end, just happen to mention that you've let the KnittingHelp forum know about your problem with their yarn. You'll get action.

*I used to work in customer service. Nice factual letters get action; nasty ones get ignored.

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah--use us. And Ravelry. Make sure they know you spread the word. I, for one, will not buy their yarn until they help you out.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-24-2008, 09:13 PM
lol.

Thanks Ladies. I'm going to start calling them first thing in the morning :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
um ooooooooooooooooook.... i just called (9:16 eastern) and got a recording saying their office hours are between 8 am and 4:30 pm eastern....

Think someone forgot to hit the switch? LOL

McKnitty
04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I haven't used this particular yarn, but I have had a similar experience with a Cascade yarn. I was knitting along and all the sudden the yarn got very thin, almost like sewing thread. Luckily it wasn't a large portion, so I cut that part out and re-joined the yarn. But it sounds like yours is throughout the whole ball of yarn. That would be SO frustrating!

Then I had a problem with a self-striping yarn completely changing the pattern in the middle of the ball so the stripe sequence didn't match the first sock. I could have tinked and then matched up the stripes again, but it would have cut out a huge chunk of the yarn and I wouldn't have had enough to finish.

Grrr!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 09:33 AM
**********UPDATE****************

I ended up getting through to their Complaints department... they're ordering me new yarn and having it sent out as well as sending a SASE so I can send them the portion that's defective AND the label.

I must say, they certainly do run well. I left her a voicemail not 15 minutes ago and she called me right back :)

boo1
04-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I haven't used this particular yarn, but I have had a similar experience with a Cascade yarn. I was knitting along and all the sudden the yarn got very thin, almost like sewing thread. Luckily it wasn't a large portion, so I cut that part out and re-joined the yarn.
Grrr!

I had this happen to me with a ball of Filatura di Crosa 127 Print-it was only a few inches but it was like suddenly knitting with thread. I just kept going and it turned out all right but I'm pretty leery about trying 127 Print again.

Hmph.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I won't be buying sassy stripes again. My dh actually said last night that I need to start winding my skeins into balls before i work with it. two problems.

1. I hate winding balls, it aggrivates my carpal tunnel so I can't knit when I'm done.

2. I hate working from balls, the yarn always untwists.

3. The cats seem to think that the balls rolling around are there for them to pounce on and be entertained by.

Jan in CA
04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
3. The cats seem to think that the balls rolling around are there for them to pounce on and be entertained by.

If you roll a center pull ball it won't roll around. I like doing that and the ball sits nicely between my leg and the chair/couch.

As to the other issue.. make DH roll them for you then. :teehee:

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
You can put it in a yarn trainer. They're a plastic canister with a hole on the lid. The cat can't attack the ball in there. I like them because the yarn doesn't get dirty.

kellyh57
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
You can also do the old ziploc bag trick- put it in the bag and either cut out a hole or leave a little of the zipper open for the yarn to go through. I still do it with cakes to keep the kiddos out sometimes.

Kelly

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I have the containers with the holes in the lids... both are presently being used by the sweater sets i have going :)

Maybe i'll use this as leverage to get my dh to buy me a ball winder LOL

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Mine are full, too. In fact, I keep all of my knitting "stuff" escet needles in one.

knitasha
04-25-2008, 10:06 PM
**********UPDATE****************

I ended up getting through to their Complaints department... they're ordering me new yarn and having it sent out as well as sending a SASE so I can send them the portion that's defective AND the label.

I must say, they certainly do run well. I left her a voicemail not 15 minutes ago and she called me right back :)

Good for you! Good for them! :cheering: