PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas of gender neutral things to make?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
My oldest stepson was here a little while ago.... My dh and I are going to be grandparents for the second time around the middle of October....

Good news as in babies are always good things, bad in that it's going to make their life more difficult than it already is (theyr'e already struggling). I want to make something for my new little Grandson or Granddaughter and I'm also trying to decide what to make for my 4 year old granddaughter....

knitasha
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
October baby? Upstate NY? Fuel prices going to the moon?
Think warm.

A baby blanket (washable wool or a blend like Encore) is always welcome. If you make it in a non-baby color and it survives the new kid's first couple of years, it becomes a nice couch throw for the whole family.

Babies of either gender are going to need hats, booties and mittens, all quick and easy to knit; not much yarn needed.

I'm not big on sweaters for infants because they grow out of them so fast, but they're so darn cute. So are matching knit pants, with oversize bottoms to fit over diapers.

For the four-year-old: A warm pullover with a matching hat? Knee socks? A felted book bag for pre-K or kindergarten?

My own opinion -- the old "blue-for-boys, pink-for-girls" rule is outdated. Babies look adorable in any color; little girls seem to love red, purple and all bright colors. And patterns. The ones I know also love scarves and hats in fuzzy novelty yarns.

While you're at it, matching mother-and-daughter scarves for he new mom and the older girl would be lovely.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM

I will never knit for his girlfriend.... if it's not store bought then it's junk. My granddaughter, however, told me her favorite colors are purple and pink... I'm thinking of making her an afghan for her bed (probably crocheted).....

I'm going to wait and see what they're having before putting together a package for the baby... I'm already getting them a new crib and changing table...

lactosefree
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I will never knit for his girlfriend.... if it's not store bought then it's junk.

:shock: did you hear my gasp from your computer?

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I heard it.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 11:51 PM
these are the same ones that I found an afghan I made for my granddaughter when she was a baby in the dog cage with dog poop on it.

Dh's ex (as much as we haven't liked each other in the past) understands the work that goes into knitted and crocheted items... she's always wished she could crochet... she now lives next door so I'll probably send it up with MIL to give to dh's ex... if she sees it she'll make sure it's taken care of.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
I think a hat/bootie/blanket set in a neutral color would be nice. Even a fall color would be great.

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:23 AM
I will never knit for his girlfriend.... if it's not store bought then it's junk.

Say what?

Debkcs
04-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Whoa . . . your husband's ex lives next door? How did that happen?

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Wow! You're like Reba!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-26-2008, 02:29 AM
not next door to us (the county's not big enough for both of us!) Dh's ex is not well mentally, she had a breakdown when her mother passed (she was never all there to begin with, but is deteriorating). Dh's ex, Oldest stepson, oldest stepson's girlfriend and child (now children), and youngest stepson all live about an hour or so away.... It's a house that was split into 2 apartments. On one side is dh's ex, her second husband, and youngest stepson. On the other side is oldest stepson, HIS girlfriend, their daughter together, HER mother and her mother's boyfriend.

the most family I have to put up with here is dh's parents less than 2 blocks away, his aunt lives halfway between us and our kids school and he has a cousin 7 streets over and his aunt and uncle on the other end of town :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Mason, she's a superficial twit. She'd rather take back things we get the kidlet to the store and buy crap for herself with the credit than have a single well made item for the kids.

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
That's just sick.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
It is what it is and how she was raised. If i send anything i make up to dh's ex, at least I know she'll put them on the kids when she babysits them..

Jan in CA
04-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Gender neutral -

burp cloths
bibs
diaper covers
blankets
stroller coverlets
booties

Is this what you mean?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
i've been looking for some fairly gender neutral bootie patterns....

That don't include animals on them or frills of any sort... I found out through experience that baby boys tend not to like having teddy bears on their booties... I had a friend's baby up on the bar at one of our events (we'd rented out The Vintons in Pa. for Yule a couple years ago) and he was dancing around... his mother went and put these booties on him with bear heads on them.. she walked in the room, he leaned forward and "decorated" the booties (missed me, missed the bar, missed the rest of his outfit... just got the booties) then looked at her with a big smile and did an evil little laugh... he was only about 7 months old :)

I have a book of baby sock patterns (the ones where there's the basic socks, some with anchors on them, one called Futre MBA.... can't remember the name of it right now) but i want a more shoe type (like the one on the label for the Lionbrand natural cotton that I picked up) but not the mary jane or knitted sneakers. I know i'm probably not coming across clearly (2:30 am + sudafed) but thanks for trying to help :)

when my middle stepson goes to have kids (in about 10 years) i already know what to make...

ah
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I liked making these booties (http://fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/cbbooties.shtml).

An Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Jacket would work for either a boy or a girl.

Jan in CA
04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
How about these? :)
http://xalleykatx.livejournal.com/50196.html?mode=reply

Here's a few more.
http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/SeamlessBootee/

ah
04-27-2008, 11:08 PM
If you are on Ravelry, I found this thread. (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/kid-knits/176227/1-25)