PDA

View Full Version : Lion Brand Homespun

Ginnyb
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Has anyone used this yarn. I just bought some and started a prayer shawl, but Idon't know if it is me tonight or what, but I do not like this yarn. Has anyone else tried it and what did you think? I think I am going to take it back to the store. It just feels "icky" and splits and just am not having fun.
Ginny

Ingrid
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Some people like it and say that if you use it with larger needles it helps with some of the problems.

I agree that it feels icky and isn't worth knitting with.:shrug:

dustinac
04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't care for it either...the colors are so pretty too...now my mom likes it and makes prayers shawls...she uses large needles or she crochets which finds even easier...:thumbsup:

vaknitter
04-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I've made 4 prayers shawls with it and don't mind it too much. It's certainly not the greatest yarn (hence the price) but it does come in beautiful washable colors. I always wash and dry the shawls before having them blessed and they seem to wash well.
Sorry you're not liking it....

mwhite
04-25-2008, 10:58 PM
I've used it, kinda splitty and you'll have fibers that want to cling, sometimes get hung on the needles between sts. It's soft but take your time with it and you should be able to use it. I agree that the larger(over 10.5) needles help.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't like it. I have some that broke while i was knitting it... it's looking a lot like a a rug with a simple garter stitch for the shawl...

G J
04-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm not fond of it, either. It pills really badly after just a few wearings.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Prayer shawls probably don't get washed as often as sweaters or baby clothes so it's probably just fine for them as long as you like working with it.

suzeeq
04-25-2008, 11:47 PM
It's okay if you use size 11s and a loose tension. You do have to watch not getting a needle point stuck in the thread that wraps the yarn.

suewoz
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I used it with some fake fur yarn for a scarf and it was not bad, but then i tried it for a baby afghan and I hated it. I have some left and it just sits there because I don't like the way the yarn frays and I think it is difficult to work with.

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I'll never use it again.

I made a hat for a friend using this crap and she wore it a couple of times and the top seam separated and opened up. When I checked it out the stuff was just breaking apart in my hands.

Lousy excuse for yarn.

Debkcs
04-26-2008, 01:26 AM
I started a baby blanket out of it, but gave it up after a few rows and gave the stuff away.

I've seen it on sale here for $1.88 a skein.

redheadrachel
04-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Buh-arf.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:38 AM
You need to be more comfortable expressing your true feelings. Don't beat around the bush.

redheadrachel
04-26-2008, 01:42 AM
lol I hope the yarn didn't get its feelings hurt.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Maybe we should forward a link to Lion?

redheadrachel
04-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Good, maybe they'd actually change Homespun out for something decent to knit with. ;)

Debkcs
04-26-2008, 02:00 AM
I HATE spending my hard earned money and then HATING the product.

One of the reasons I love Ravelry is that you can check out a yarn before you buy it.

gingerbread
04-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I made a shawl or tried to it ended up being a lap gan for my dauhgter-in-law. I don't mind using it but keep it mind that darn yarn grows.

:waving:

Silver
04-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I made an afghan (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/fos/RippleAfghan.jpg)with it a looong time ago and ended up giving it to my brother-in-law since he loved it so much. I didn't hate the yarn, but I didn't love it either. BIL still has it and loves it and it's been through many, many washes, although it kinda looks like the color of poo now. I also made a sweater (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/fos/PurpleSweater.jpg)with it too which I can't wear because it doesn't keep it's shape and falls off my shoulders. (It has a wide neck opening though.)

I rank it with Red Heart Super Saver. I can't honestly say I *hate* any yarn because there's a purpose for them all. I'm sure Homespun has a place, but that place isn't really in my knitting queue. :shrug:

kellee0302
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I have used this yarn many times, I've made multiple hoodie sweaters in multiple sizes and a blanket. All were made with larger needles but I haven't had any problems with it, and it is soft.

Becky Morgan
04-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm sitting here wearing a Homespun shawl I made at least two or three years ago (may have been longer than that.) I wear it a lot in spring and fall and launder it often--nothing special, throw it in with the other clothes. It doesn't really show any signs of wear, let alone the horrific problems some people have with it. The first shawl I made is cream-colored, must be close to ten years old, and still gets worn constantly. Husband used it to wash grease off the tires once (he truly hates all forms of handcrafts and will do anything he can to ruin anything he finds out), but I soaked it in Orange Clean and washed it. As I said, it's cream-colored, and the stains all came out.

Maybe Homespun is different in different parts of the country. I haven't had truble with what we have here, either in knit or crochet.

lantern314
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I've used it for scarves and a baby blanket. It is splitty, but I've never minded it too much. I'm new and have only worked with really good yarn once. My scarf has gotten pretty fuzzy as my whiskers have pulled the yarn apart.
My wife uses it a lot for stoles and likes it ok. We generally use size 10 needles.

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I wonder if they have maybe changed it a little since yu made your shawl, Becky.

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I bought some a couple years ago and made scarves with it; wasn't that bad. The thing with Homespun is you have to use larger needles and hold it with a loose tension too. Anything less than size 11s doesn't work well with it.

Wanda Witch
04-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I am making an afghan with a variety of Lion brand yarns, Homespun being one. It is not easy to work with and IF you have to frog or tink well you've might as well discard that portion. I had to. It frays terribly, sticks to the other yarn and I have a whole carton filled with yarn for the afghan so will try and finish the project. Hate giving up but won't use this particular one again - in spite of the lovely colors.

Jaxhil
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
The only thing I've used it for (that I can remember) is to make afghans-ALL of which are now *well*-loved and appreciated. Now, having said that, I cannot see myself buying it again. My Mom is currently making me a log-cabin afghan(from Mason Dixon Knitting) with a bunch of homeless skeins I had laying around, and I must say-it's coming out beautifully!! (isn't she sweet!!?) I couldn't see giving it away as I had already invested in enough skeins to make a large afghan (not intentionally, they were bought individually over a couple of years).They feel wonderful to snuggle under :)

Maybe just finish what you started and never get anymore? Or give it away if you really can't stand it-there's no law forcing you to finish. It's okay if you don't! Good luck deciding!

McKnitty
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
I bought some a couple years ago and made scarves with it; wasn't that bad. The thing with Homespun is you have to use larger needles and hold it with a loose tension too. Anything less than size 11s doesn't work well with it.

I'm not even close to actually liking the stuff, but it is okay for some things. I agree with suzeeq that you need a project that uses large needles.

I've made a few scarves with Homespun and Fun Fur held together. I used very large needles (I think I used size 17). The Homespun gave the scarf weight, warmth, and a nice color in the background; while the Fun Fur made it look and feel better. Fun Fur also 'hides' the pilling that some have complained about. Just a thought if you want to try it.

But again, just for the record, I don't actually like this stuff!

Becky Morgan
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I wonder if they have maybe changed it a little since you made your shawl, Becky.

It must have, although I have a lot of newer stuff (bought this year) around and it wasn't hard to work with either. I don't have any trouble frogging it; yes, it does fluff while you're working with it, but the only thing that really makes it misbehave is working the gauge too tight. That makes it really hard to deal with, often breaks the stiffer fiber that golds it together, and gives the finished project an odd, rough hand.

Homespun isn't meant for anything that has to hold shape rigidly.It's meant to drape and flow.I wouldn't make a sweater out of it, for instance, any more than I'd make a sweater out of chenille.

marlajap
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
The only time I've successfully completed a project with Homespun is a couple of Q-hook afghans I made in the late 1990's. Three strands of Homespun on a Q hook, and it works up in a weekend. It does stay soft when you wash it, but it also grows and grows and grows, especially when stranded - it gets so darned heavy that the boucle almost flattens and turns into a longer piece of yarn. Weird.

Anything else I've ever tried (including my first, quite failed attempt at a sweater) has been miserable. It does not frog well, as previously stated. That's why I gave up on the sweater - I needed to frog, and it got totally knotted up in itself and wouldn't go. I tossed the darned thing in with 3/4 of the back done, but nothing else. A friend of mine rescued the remains, bound the edge off on a sewing machine, and gave the back piece to a ferret, who has made it her favorite blanket. LOL!

Now, my friend has made scarves, wristers, etc., out of the rest of the Homespun I bought for the sweater, and likes it just fine for that. But even she admits she wouldn't like it for anything large.