PDA

View Full Version : prayer shawl

Ginnyb
04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Well the consensus is just about unanimous that Lion Brand Homespun is not so hot to knit with, so any suggestions on what other yarn to use for a prayer shawl? I am taking back the homespun that I bought. I checked on ravelry and most of the prayer shawls listed were made with the homespun. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I can spend moderately. Thanks for any suggestions

Ginny

Mirl56
04-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Really, any yarn you want to use will be fine. I assume since you tried Homespun that you are shopping at places like Michaels/AC Moore/Joann's/Hobby Lobby type stores. Any yarn you see there that seems soft will work. The guage may be different then the homespun and the pattern you were using, but just adjust needle size and cast on # of stitches to the yarn you end up using.

gingerbread
04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I think that Caron simply soft is also a nice yarn to use for the shawls. I find that the homespun just bags under its on weight.

:waving:

sabrinasmom
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
My mother knits for her church's prayer shawl ministry and she uses a yarn called "I love this Yarn". Said she uses red heart sometimes but the other is much softer.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-27-2008, 02:30 AM
I would think that pretty much any bulky weight yarn would do... if you go to the lionbrand.com website you can see a list of yarns to substitute with.

I frankly don't care for the bulky yarns.... I ended up frogging the shawl i was working on with the home spun because it looked like a rug... i think i'll just go and do a rectangle one later on after i get some larger size aluminum knitting needles (the homespun is a nightmare to work with when using plastic needles).