PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Little Stitches

McKnitty
04-26-2008, 12:20 PM
This morning I unraveled a knitting mystery, and I just had to tell someone. Well, I told my husband but since he doesn't knit I don't think he truly appreciates what just happened.

I am knitting a feather and fan baby blanket and late last night I noticed something that looked a little 'funny'. Not sure how to explain it, but it just didn't look right. There was a little area a few rows down that had a stitch that stuck out a little more than the others.

It was hardly noticable, but it really bothered me. I poked around at it with a crochet hook, but I couldn't figure it out. It certainly didn't look like a dropped stitch and I wondered if maybe it was just a tension problem with that particular stitch. I decided to sleep on it and see how I felt about it the next morning.

Well, I woke up this morning and decided I couldn't live with it, I HAD to fix it, so I started to tink. An hour and a half later, I came upon the problem. AH-HA - it was a Jumping Yarn Over!

This pattern has one row with YO, K1 side by side. Then the next row is a knit row. So as I tinked I found that one of the YO's had 'jumped' over a knit stitch, therefore the stitches were knit out of turn on the knit row. Mystery solved! :woot:

Oh yeah baby, I'm feeling pretty good right bout now! Knitting has a way of keeping me humble, but for right now, I feel like THE BOSS of my knitting! :)

However, I have definitely learned my lesson and will be watching those sneaky little YO's much more closely from now on.

Jan in CA
04-26-2008, 12:35 PM
:thumbsup: Good for you for finding out the mystery!

Newbie2Knitting
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
:woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay: :thumbsup:

Wildfire
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Cheers to you! =) I am working on an openwork shrug myself for a friend and I just can't tinker a knit 2tog, yo design.... not yet anyways. So inevidably I found a large gap where the loops fell off the needle (knitting in the car) and I hastily finished up the row I was on at the time. Sufficive to say, I now watch my yarn overs and will be sewing up the loose stitches with spare yarn when I am done =P

Cynamar
04-27-2008, 12:35 AM
YAY!! So glad you found the problem! And beat it!

Knit4Pie
04-27-2008, 06:20 AM
I LOVE the feeling when you work out a problem like that yourself and solve it! Congrats!

McKnitty
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for listening, everyone! I knew you all would understand! I learn so much more about knitting when I have to correct my mistakes. That is a cool metaphor for life in general, don't you think?

Lisa R.
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I have found that there are few things more gratifying that figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it! It's one of the things I love about knitting!

saracidaltendencies
04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
:yay: Way to go! That is definitely something to be proud of!