PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good substitute for Lion's Pride Worsted?

itsybitsywovenwear
04-27-2008, 03:21 AM
I started a little hat for my soon-to-be-born grandniece using Merino Extra fine but it seems to be too thin. The original pattern calls for Lion's Pride Worsted. Was it a mistake to use the Merino Extra fine? If so, what can I do to make it work? I don't want to go out and buy more yarn (actually, I'd :heart: to buy more yarn; I just can't.) Thanks in advance for your help!

btw, it's my first post here although I've been knitting for a long time. Don't be fooled by the "grandniece" comment. My niece was born when I was only 14 and she married young :)

gamerchik
04-27-2008, 04:24 AM
Hello and welcome! This site is wonderful and the people and moderators here are so helpful. :D

Do you mean Lamb's Pride Worsted? If so, I'm doing a sweater right now and am substituting Encore worsted for that yarn and it's working nicely. For a baby hat, I think a good substitute would be Knit Picks Swish Superwash...100% Merino Wool, washable and sooo soft!

I'm not sure if your Merino is too thin or not, since I don't know what the details are for the specific yarn you're using. What does it say on the label as far as needle size and stitches per inch? I know that Lamb's Pride Worsted is recommended for US size 8 needles and the gauge is 18 stitches = 4", so you'll want your yarn to be close to that. :)

I hope that helps...I'm not a knitting pro or anything...those are just my two cents! :P

Good luck! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

itsybitsywovenwear
04-27-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm using zara filatura extra fine (Merino extra fine); needles 3.5 (size 4). There are 50 grams and 136.5 yarns to this ball of yarn. So...?

Firey Vixxen
04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
The most important thing is to get the guage right. Knit the swatch the following the directions if any are given. If just the size is given (eg: 23sts & 31rows=10cm (4") square in Stst), Knit at least 10 stitches more and some extra rows to eliminate "wonky edges".
Once you have the guage the same, THEN you can look at the fabric of the gauge cloth. if it's too airy, try doubling up the strands, and swatch again.
Once you're Happy with the swatch, THEN you can start with the rest of the project.
Congrats on your grandkid
FV

Ingrid
04-27-2008, 08:39 AM
You might also want to check out www.knittingpatterncentral.com to find a hat pattern that is suited for your yarn.

Plantgoddess+
04-27-2008, 09:02 AM
According to my Ravelry search the yarn you are using is DK weight and your pattern calls for a worsted weight. I would say either do as Ingrid says and look for another pattern suited to dk weight yarn or get a worsted weight yarn for the pattern you want to work.

itsybitsywovenwear
04-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I got the answer from reikiknitter at Ravelry.